Switch to Forum Live View Meeting with Assoc. Pastor
5 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2009 - 1:43PM #1
steve123
Hello all,

I will be meeting with an associate pastor at the local parish office to see about getting into the RCIA class mid-season.  My wife, who is a die-hard Lutheran, thinks I'm nuts........  Maybe so, but The Lord is leading......I'm following.....
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2009 - 5:08PM #2
Justly
Best wishes Steve on your walk.  All any of us can do is follow where we believe in our hearts the Holy Spirit is leading us.  God bless you and your wife on both of your faith journeys.  The Lutheran faith from what I know of it, along with Episcopal, may be 2 of the more closer denominations to RC.  Who knows.  The roads may converge and lead to the same place in the end.  Peace to you both along your travels.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2009 - 7:05AM #3
steve123
THanks for the kind words Justly.  You are hopefully right about the same place in the end.

God Bless,

Steve
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2009 - 10:37AM #4
Shaner

steve123 wrote:

Hello all,

I will be meeting with an associate pastor at the local parish office to see about getting into the RCIA class mid-season. My wife, who is a die-hard Lutheran, thinks I'm nuts........ Maybe so, but The Lord is leading......I'm following.....

Steve, that's wonderful news!  Frankly, I thought you were already a Catholic, from your knowledgeable posts on the "Cafe" Forum.

Of course you and your wife will end up at the same place......the Catholic Church is probably the most inclusive faith that there is......we don't believe that "just Catholics" can attain Heaven,  :D

God's Blessings on your
   Journey,
Sandy

"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2009 - 12:18PM #5
Justly

Shaner wrote:

the Catholic Church is probably the most inclusive faith that there is......we don't believe that "just Catholics" can attain Heaven,  :D

God's Blessings on your
   Journey,
Sandy

I'm not certain I would go exactly that far, Sandy.  :)  But of course you're right about the not "just Catholics".   In fact Steve's wife probably has a better shot than dissenting Catholics in the eyes of some.  A bit ironic in a sense since Luther himself was a dissenting Catholic.  :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2009 - 4:35PM #6
steve123
Thanks Shaner and Justly.  The meeting went very well.  Long story short, I will be going to a retreat March 17 for the RCIA class members (although I've never been to the RCIA classes yet) at a retreat center in the Columbus Diocese.  The Pastoral Associate I met with wasn't sure if RCIA was the best route for me this late in the RCIA process.  however, like I said, I will be meeting with the class at the retreat.  I will also be going to a social teaching class on Feb. 7th at the church.  As far as my wife goes, she is not totally on board yet.  She is kind of upset that IF I did join the Church, that she wouldn't be able to take the Eucharist.  I'm praying for her and about this situation, and hoping she will soften a little.  Thankfully after the meeting when I came home she seemed more receptive to the idea about me going to Mass on Saturday afternoon at 4:00pm and then to the Lutheran Church on Sunday mornings.

Which leads me to another question, is it ok to fulfill your obligation to go to Mass on Saturday and not on Sunday?

God Bless,

Steve
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2009 - 7:03PM #7
Justly
Steve, by all means the obligation can be fulfilled at a Saturday vigil.  I personally prefer the Saturday times.  I'm dating myself but I can remember when Saturday became possible and how some elder relatives balked at the idea.  But of course nowadays it is commonplace.

As far as the Eucharist, I understand your wife's feelings.  Lutherans believe as well in Christ's real physical presence.  But I guess the details on how it all comes about are a little different.  So I understand WHY the Church has it's practice of "closed Communion".  But I have to admit I do at times think it would be nice if Catholics practiced "open Communion" for all baptized persons as some other churches do, welcoming all to the Lord's table.  But that's just me.  :)

Sounds like you have a plan though.  I hope you enjoy your class on Saturday and retreat next month.  Again God blessings and peace to you both.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook