Switch to Forum Live View Do orthodox women ever work outsde the home?
6 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2009 - 12:39PM #1
PretzelBaker
Hi,

I'm in the process of converting to Judaism but attend a wonderful reform synagogue. I know very little about orthodox Judaism and one of the things I was wondering is if orthodox women work outside the home. It seems like they would all be homemakers and mothers but I'm wondering if that is how it actually plays out.

thanks!
Libby
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2009 - 2:16PM #2
ffb
I could ask my mother, wife, sister and sister in law, but I have to wait for them to get home from work...actually, that's not true...my mom is retired.

Bottom line, yes Orthodox women work outside the home, mostly if they want to or financially, need to. As one moves into the more "right wing" the types of jobs shift and maybe in some extremely Orthodox enclaves the women are discouraged, but that is not a mainstream Ortho take on things.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2009 - 11:44PM #3
PretzelBaker
Fantastic. Thanks so much for your reply. I really know so little about orthodox judaism, or conservative judaism for that matter. I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks again!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2010 - 5:42AM #4
river8101

Many orthodox women work outside the home, even the Chasidim.  Often it's in the family business, but they can work if they want to.  If they have children, it might be difficult, but some place their children with another Chasidic families (kind of a day care situation)  while they're working or they work when the kids are in school.  Modern orthodox women certainly work outside the home if they wish to.  Many have college educations, and some are doctors, lawyers, and have other professions. 

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2010 - 10:36AM #5
nieciedo

All is not sunshine and unicorns, however.

Many Orthodox women -- especially among the Hareidim -- have to work outside the home because their husbands spend all their time studying Torah instead. The problem is compounded because Hareidi rabbis have prohibited women from getting higher degrees out of concerns of "modesty" and thus the women are forced to take lower-paying jobs than they otherwise might have been able to attain. Orthodox families and Hareidi in particular tend to be absurdly large, which means more mouths to feed which means more money is needed, so the option is to either do without or get a second or third job.

Not fun.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 months ago  ::  Apr 24, 2014 - 11:12AM #6
river8101

Nonsense.

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 month ago  ::  Oct 22, 2014 - 9:32PM #7
Pam34

Not nonsense. But not the whole story either. However, big families are common in orthodox families, and more children mean extra mouths to feed and educate, which means jobs are desirable things.

Only a relatively small minority of orthodox men study full time - some study full time for a few years, some study part time, some study full time for decades - and some don't. The percentages vary depending on the subculture - some orthodox groups (especially among Hasids) encourage men to study full time for at least a few years. Modern orthodox, not so much.

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook