Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Reformed Judaism and Jewish Christians
5 years ago  ::  Nov 16, 2009 - 11:27AM #21
river8101

Nov 13, 2008 -- 3:04AM, Shlomo613 wrote:

mathaytace,   If you visit the Discuss MJ forum you will see that there is a difference between MJ and Jewish Christians. They called themselves Hebrew Christians where I visited their church a few times. And church it was, it was a cultural judaism I saw, lox-n-bagels and nothing more. Culture, not Religion. Most true MJ  that I met who know Judaism will not "Worship Jesus" they will worship only to G-d and then invoke Jesus's name. Surely even in Christian circles you see some who pray to G-d and invoke "in Jesus's name we Pray" and others who pray directly to Jesus. You must understand that, for a Jew, to pray to anyone other than G-d is Idolatry. A Gentile can do this, and it's not Idolatry, so long as he also worships G-d. Invoking names while in prayer to G-d is Jewish too, we Jews all invoke the names of the Patriarchs for just about the same reason, to claim the covenant we have with G-d.  I was raised Orthodox, but not the typical one that dominates in Western society. I currently am a member in a Reform shul, and I can tell you that while we welcome Christians to our services and even honor intermarried  Christian spouses with full membership (except for very specific rituals) we threw out a Hebrew Christian from our membership. Proselytizing is never welcome. "And church it was, it was cultural judaism etc.)

WRONG!  Cultural Judaism has nothing to do with any Christian or MJ Church.   Cultural Judaism is a practice which emphasizes Jewish culture as much as belief.  Judaism encourages individual thought and understanding for many Jews as much as orthodox ritual practices. It has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity or Jesus, or anything other religion.   For some it is perhaps more connected to "secular" Judaism as it's connection to Judaism is mainly it's culture, civilization, Jewish values and ethics more than ritual.  Cultural Jews, connect to their Jewish heritage through language, literature, art, dance, music, food. Cultural Jews do not connect to any religious beliefs outside of Judaism including religions that call themselves Messianic Jews, or Hebrew Christians, or any other faith.  Those religion have beliefs that connect to Jesus Christ, and Cultural Jews do not have any such beliefs or practices.

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2010 - 9:14AM #22
river8101

Schlomo,

Messianic Jews and Hebrew Christians certainly do worship Jesus and believe that he is the Messiah and the literal son of God who died for their sins. Whether or not they believe in the trinity, is probably a choice, but most do, and most MJ and HC come from Christian families. MJ believe the New Testament is to be taken by Messianic Jews as the inspired Word of God.  Jews do not believe in the validity or truth of the NT.  They do not follow any of it's teachings.  Furthermore, there is no proof that the NT is anything more than a combination of pagan myths with similar Jewish practices they adopted from neighboring Jews.  Pagans lived in and around Judaea.   The NT was written in Greek, the common language of most pagans, not Hebrew or Aramaic, the common languages of the Jews who lived in Judaea. Since that is where the life of Jesus supposedly took place, and the apostles who wrote it, were supposedly Jews living in Judaea, why is the NT written in Indo European languages, mainly Greek?   Excuses for such do not add up.  MJ and HC have nothing in common with true Judaism. 

No one has the slightest physical evidence to support a historical Jesus; no artifacts, dwelling, works of carpentry, or self-written manuscripts. All claims about Jesus derive from writings of other people. There occurs no contemporary Roman record that shows Pontius Pilate executing a man named Jesus. Devastating to historians, there occurs not a single contemporary writing that mentions Jesus. All documents about Jesus came well after the life of the alleged Jesus from either: unknown authors, people who had never met an earthly Jesus, or from fraudulent, mythical or allegorical writings. Although one can argue that many of these writings come from fraud or interpolations, I will use the information and dates to show that even if these sources did not come from interpolations, they could still not serve as reliable evidence for a historical Jesus, simply because all sources about Jesus derive from hearsay accounts.  More here....

www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2012 - 1:09AM #23
Cooper

Nov 11, 2008 -- 4:40PM, mathaytace wrote:

From what I understand, Reformed Synagogues are fairly liberal regarding the Torah. I've even heard it said that Reformed Jews don't even consider it inspired. As such, would reformed synagogues be open to accepting Jewish Christians (real Jews, not the MJ wannabe Gentiles) into the congregation? I know personally a Jewish Christian who attends Synagogue on the Sabbath and presides over the Eucharist on Sunday (he is an Anglican priest). I never asked him but is it probable he attends a reformed synagogue? If I'm asking too many questions let me know lol. I just like learning about religions, even ones that aren't my own.

There is no such thing as "Jewish Christians."  Christian beliefs are not compatible with Judaism.

It would be like a Jew going to a church and requesting membership in the body of Christ and baptism while stating they do not believe Jesus is the Messiah or god himself.

People who follow Christ are Christians.  When one converts to Christianity, one becomes a Christian.

When Christians convert to Judaism, we don't call them "Christians for Judaism," they become Jews.

While anyone can attend synagogue, a Reform synagogue holds to Jewish beliefs, not Christian ones.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 07, 2012 - 9:39PM #24
Silenicus
In order to convert to Judaism under Reform one must, among other things, vow not to practice any other religion than Judaism.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook