Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Difference between Evangelicial and Charismatic Christianity
6 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2008 - 9:45PM #1
Nightshade_poppet
Peace, all.

While I am converting to Catholicism from Protestantism, I am curious between the difference between Evangelical Christianity and Charismatic. I don't mean to anger anyone with my questions, but here there are:

1.) What is the diffrence between Evangelical and Charismatic Christianity?

2.) Why do you think there are so many denominations of Christianity? Is demonination important? If so, what makes one denomination 'better' than the other?

3.) How do you inperpet the Bible, literally, metaphorically or both?

Thanks for your time.

N.P.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2008 - 10:46PM #2
haggaion

Nightshade_poppet wrote:

Peace, all.

While I am converting to Catholicism from Protestantism, I am curious between the difference between Evangelical Christianity and Charismatic. I don't mean to anger anyone with my questions, but here there are:

2.) Why do you think there are so many denominations of Christianity? Is demonination important? If so, what makes one denomination 'better' than the other?

Thanks for your time.

N.P.

1.  Short answers:  Evangelical is basically today those who believe the Bible is from God.  So you can be a Evangelical Charismatic.  Better is to say non-charismatic and charismatic.  Charismatics (or Pentacostals) believe the gifts of the Spirit (1 cor. 12) are still available to believers.  Charismatics speak in tongues, give prophecies, and often practice healing.

2.  It is about history. For the first 1400 years of Christianity there was a lack of bibles due to the fact each bible had to be hand copied.  So, if the people did not have bibles they went by what those who had bibles said about the bible.  So traditions become very important, even more important than the bible.  The first printing press was invented by Johann Gutenberg in the 1400s.  This then put the bible in the hands of the people.  People starting comparing the bible with traditions.  They did not match often.  There resulted the Protestant Reformation, each group (denominations) taking the bible and each holding to a different interpretations of scripture.  Traditions was pushed back except by the Catholic church.  But some basic creeds remained, like the Nicene Creed.

People then had the freedom to interpret the bible without traditions and thus to evaluate the traditions to see if it lined up with the bible.  Groups formed through differing interpretations.

The value of a denomination is that it provides accountability for local church leadership.  The problem can be that it can control the church.  Evangelical usually have loose forms of denominations, or are non-denominational.

3.  The bible should be read in the normal sense.  When Evangelicals say Literal, it is used usually in an technical sense of the widely accepted Chicago Statement on Biblical Hermeneutics

http://www.bible-researcher.com/chicago2.html.

Literal in the non-technical sense is often interpretative.  Each passage has to be evaluated.   The key is what is called "grammatical historical sense," which simple means our job as interpreters is to try to figure out what the text meant to the original readers.  Then once that is figured out, to apply it to us today, but within the principles of what it originally meant.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2008 - 11:23AM #3
greenponder
Nightshade
Here is a link to the Evangelical Manifesto.
http://evangelicalmanifesto.com/manifesto.php
In my opinion this document does a reasonable job of defining what an evangelical is. It has some flaws but overall it gives a pretty good definition.
As Haggion said there are charismatic and non-charismatic Evangelicals. There are also charismatic Roman Catholics.
Charismatic beliefs tend to be associated with the Pentecostal movement which tends to be Arminian as opposed to Calvinist (although there are Charismatic Calvinists). Charismatic beliefs also tend to come out of the Weslyan-Methodist tradition.

J.I. Packer summarizes the Evangelical approach to interpreting the Bible in seven points:
1. Scripture is inspired by God and is a definitive expression of God’s mind and will which stands for all time.
2. All Scripture was given to be the profitable rule of faith and practice.
3. Scriptures authenticate themselves to Christian believers through the convincing work of the Holy Spirit.
4. The Scriptures are sufficient for the Christian and the Church as a lamp for our feet and a light for our path.
5. The Scriptures are clear, and interpret themselves from within.
6. Evangelicals stress that Scripture is a mystery in a sense parallel to that in which the Incarnation is a mystery.
7. A Christian must submit to the teaching of scripture.

This is a very brief summary you can read the whole article at the following link:
http://www.biblicalstudies.org.uk/artic … acker.html 

The term literal interpretation is problematic because the word literal can be interpreted in different ways. There is poetry, history, metaphor, propositional statements among other forms in the Bible and each needs to be read in its context. This is the grammatical-historical sense which Haggion is referring to.
A better term if one is needed to describe the Evangelical view of the Bible is inerrant.

In my opinion the reason there are so many denominations is the existence of sin in the world. If it were not for the blindness caused by sin there would only be one church not many denominations because everyone would understand God’s word correctly and would be unified. The current trend toward non-denominational churches is just an extension of this problem. There are denominations and churches which are closer to God’s truth than others. Denominations can provide a brake on heretical congregations and individuals if they are exercising Christian discipline. What makes one denomination better than another is how closely it adheres to the word of God.

I would be interested to know why you are converting to Catholicism.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2008 - 1:30PM #4
Nightshade_poppet
[QUOTE=greenponder;874197]

I would be interested to know why you are converting to Catholicism.[/QUOTE]

I am converting to Catholicism because it it in that tradition that I feel closest to God.  My mother was a 'church hopper' and we went to churches of various denominations to see which one worked for her. Eventually, she came to believe that there was no point in denominations, as it led to petty, self-righteous bickering over who was 'better'. There is an energy I find when I attend Mass that I've never felt in any other church I attended.  It is difficult to explain.

N.P.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2008 - 1:39PM #5
haggaion

Nightshade_poppet wrote:

I am converting to Catholicism because it it in that tradition that I feel closest to God.  My mother was a 'church hopper' and we went to churches of various denominations to see which one worked for her. Eventually, she came to believe that there was no point in denominations, as it led to petty, self-righteous bickering over who was 'better'. There is an energy I find when I attend Mass that I've never felt in any other church I attended.  It is difficult to explain.

N.P.

To each his own.  I went the reverse.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2008 - 12:34AM #6
mom-6
Evangelical in general refers to Christians who acknowledge that one of the major tenets of their faith is being obedient to God's call to share their faith with those around them. 

Charismatic in general refers to Christians who focus on the 'gifts of the Spirit' (speaking in tongues being the most often mentioned) as evidence of a person's relationship to God.

Either or both can be found in most denominations, including Catholic. 

As far as Biblican interpretation, my rule of thumb is "if it makes good sense to take it literally then do so", otherwise take into account the figurative language and try to determine the truth behind the figurative language.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2008 - 12:34AM #7
mom-6
Evangelical in general refers to Christians who acknowledge that one of the major tenets of their faith is being obedient to God's call to share their faith with those around them. 

Charismatic in general refers to Christians who focus on the 'gifts of the Spirit' (speaking in tongues being the most often mentioned) as evidence of a person's relationship to God.

Either or both can be found in most denominations, including Catholic. 

As far as Biblican interpretation, my rule of thumb is "if it makes good sense to take it literally then do so", otherwise take into account the figurative language and try to determine the truth behind the figurative language.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2008 - 10:00PM #8
greenponder
[QUOTE=Nightshade_poppet;874516]I am converting to Catholicism because it it in that tradition that I feel closest to God.  My mother was a 'church hopper' and we went to churches of various denominations to see which one worked for her. Eventually, she came to believe that there was no point in denominations, as it led to petty, self-righteous bickering over who was 'better'. There is an energy I find when I attend Mass that I've never felt in any other church I attended.  It is difficult to explain.

N.P.[/QUOTE]

I can understand your attraction to the Catholic Church. A few years ago I wanted my daughter to experience how different churches worship. We attended a Roman Catholic Church and a Russian Orthodox Church. The majesty of there liturgy was impressive. That is something I think is lost in many Protestant churches. This liturgy tends to produce a certain reverence in the worship experience. Personally, I have some disagreements with some Roman Catholic doctrine which I would be happy to discuss with you if you would like.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2009 - 8:08AM #9
Semachiah
Shalom,

Oy Vey!

Evangelicals are those Christians who believe in being Born Again
Charismatics are those who believe in the manifestation of the gift of The HOLY SPIRIT.
It is so frustrating to see continually using and defining "religious" words but that really have no clue as to what they are talking about.

Some may read what I just wrote and be offended while others will yell, "Exactly!" We bring different things (baggage) with us whereever we go and this includes to our studies of The Scriptures. Along with this we are all "supposed" be being led by The HOLY SPIRIT but that does not mean we are all at the same place in that walk. In addition to this is the fact that although we are all being "called" (singular) to the same place (salvation in YHVH through the life of Y'SHUA) we are NOT all gifted with the same "giftings" (plural) of YHVH (Rom 11:29). Therefore this group gathers with a like gifting to serve YHVH based upon seeing The Word of YHVH from this perspective in order to accomplish this task that believe is crucial while the group down the street sees it and is heading in a slightly different direction.
1Cr 3:9        For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, [ye are] God's building.
1Cr 3:10       According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
1Cr 3:11       For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
1Cr 3:12       Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
1Cr 3:13       Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
1Cr 3:14       If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
1Cr 3:15       If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

we are all building a building and it is all YHVH's building constructed upon the foundation of our belief in the life, death and resurrection of Y'SHUA but some use one type of material while others use another type.

Both.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2009 - 1:58PM #10
Anesis
Hi, Semachiah, and welcome.

Are you familiar with the Evangelical Manifesto? It gives a pretty clear and concise definition of what it is to be Evangelical. We are defined theologically, and that is based on a literal interpretation of the Bible (of course, taking it into context, such as the metaphors in parables, etc). There is more to it than just being born again, as there are many denominations who believe in being born again, who are not Evangelical.

You are right on about what it is to be Charismatic, and those who are Charismatic are not necessarily of one particular denomination. I have heard of Charismatic Roman Catholics as well as Charismatic protestants.

One of the ways I like to describe the denominations is using the BoC. If we are all part of one Body, not all denominations can be the hands. Some are feet, some are legs, some are toes, some are shoulders, etc. I think the same can be said of those within a certain church - we all have our various gifts and talents and skills, and they all work together for the good of the Kingdom.

Blessings to you.

Anesis
Beliefnet Community Host
Welcome: Evangelical Christianity
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook