Switch to Forum Live View I'm a bit scared, because this is my first post...
6 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2008 - 6:11PM #1
krybski
Hello all! My name is Kat and I have been away from Christianity for well over 5-6 years. I first left because I didn't feel that I was accepted into the community. I am a lesbian, and I believe that's how the Creator made me. I don't and can't find men attractive, and to me it's nothing that is wrong.

I was perusing the forum and found, even in the Progressive Christian forum, there were people who said that through God people can be "turned" straight. That to me is staggeringly ill-informed as well as not looking at the facts of suicide for people who are "turned straight". I feel like I am denied the ability to be a Christian because people use the bible to discriminate. All quotations taken are not from Jesus, but most are from the Old Testament which Jesus isn't even in. The sooner use Leviticus or Genesis than they do Jesus' own words.

I just wonder if I can find a place in a religion where so many people tell me I'm "unnatural and freakish", when I think God not only loves me, but doesn't find my homosexuality a sin (or at least any greater of a sin than any other sexual sin).

It is very lonely to know that a religion I feel so at home with tends to want nothing to do with me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2008 - 1:21PM #2
tawonda
Krybski: Welcome.

I'm not a regular here, although I post once in awhile...but just a caution that not everyone who posts on a "progressive Christianty" forum is a progessive Christian. I myself can't remember visiting this forum and finding any of the regulars anything other than inclusive and welcoming of GLBT folks like myself.

I am a Christian in the Lutheran (ELCA) tradition, and a lesbian. I have no problem reconciling these two things, nor do the many other Christian gays and lesbians I know. My denomination is still struggling with the issue of ordaining partnered gays and lesbians in the church -- and to be fair, some of that struggle is indeed rooted in homophobia, but other members of my denomination are simply having a hard time understanding full inclusion in light of their ideas about the authority of Scripture and what they think they find there...this is a difficult thing for them, and I respect that, even though obviously I don't agree with them. I myself am fortunate to be part of a congregation that welcomes my partner and me, and where I am entrusted with a leadership role within the congregation.

My advice to you is not to lose faith in Christianity nor to lose heart in the hope that you'll find a welcoming, inclusive church home. They're out there, in many denominations. There are also GLBT support groups for persons in many Christian traditions, including less progressive ones, members helping one another and advocating for change within their own traditions/denominations. And I'd also encourage you to stick around this forum, among others, where you'll find friendly and inclusive people.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2008 - 1:21PM #3
tawonda
Krybski: Welcome.

I'm not a regular here, although I post once in awhile...but just a caution that not everyone who posts on a "progressive Christianty" forum is a progessive Christian. I myself can't remember visiting this forum and finding any of the regulars anything other than inclusive and welcoming of GLBT folks like myself.

I am a Christian in the Lutheran (ELCA) tradition, and a lesbian. I have no problem reconciling these two things, nor do the many other Christian gays and lesbians I know. My denomination is still struggling with the issue of ordaining partnered gays and lesbians in the church -- and to be fair, some of that struggle is indeed rooted in homophobia, but other members of my denomination are simply having a hard time understanding full inclusion in light of their ideas about the authority of Scripture and what they think they find there...this is a difficult thing for them, and I respect that, even though obviously I don't agree with them. I myself am fortunate to be part of a congregation that welcomes my partner and me, and where I am entrusted with a leadership role within the congregation.

My advice to you is not to lose faith in Christianity nor to lose heart in the hope that you'll find a welcoming, inclusive church home. They're out there, in many denominations. There are also GLBT support groups for persons in many Christian traditions, including less progressive ones, members helping one another and advocating for change within their own traditions/denominations. And I'd also encourage you to stick around this forum, among others, where you'll find friendly and inclusive people.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2008 - 12:37PM #4
thereseanne
Heyyyyyy Tawonda-good to see a familiar poster. Been away for several years; "wandering in the desert" as it were. Former Lutheran, now Episcopalian
The question in discussion and their lack of regard for an agreement made in "Full Communion" with ECUSA made me do the switch from ELCA.
To the questioner,=keep following JESUS and what he said. I think love and committment are GOOD things, and support gay unions. I am content to let God and God alone to be my judge and only judge!
Bless you both, and be patient, praying for ALL of us to be enlightened!
Thereseanne
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2009 - 1:13PM #5
Jesusisamazinggod
Thank you to the Original Poster and no need to be scared, I was scared also. I am not LGBT but I have always deep down had problems with a few of the Churches I've tryed that were fundamentalist because I was brainwashed for awhile into that Fundamentalist non-sense. I am behind and from now on always for the LGBT community 100%, I guess you can say I'm a Progressive Christian and the bible is not 100% true. God loves all people and yes I'm somewhat a Traditional Liberal Mainline Protestant and I believe some of the gospel of course, however I wish my church the United Methodist Church was more inclusive but some United Methodist Churches are inclusive. Welcome and God loves all his children whether LGBT or not and that's the closest and is the most truthful thing about Christianity that I take from the Gospels. P.S.- I reverted to being a true christian a progressive loving christian.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2009 - 9:32AM #6
faphou256
hi i know how you feel i was raised as a roman catholic, i was qiuote involved in my old church, then i came out as a gay men well let just say  that i felt not very welcome ......
i spend trhe last few years very confused as to why a god has turn my back on me  until i realised that god didn't  , i was confused lol.

i have just recently went to  Metropolitan Community Church  and trust me  it was a breath of fresh chair not to be  branded as " intrinsicly evil and morally disturbed " ( not my word ). our reverend is greart and very supportive .. they are preaching love and to love eveyone  the same way u love yourselves . I wish i go their earlier and found my ownj way with god.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2009 - 3:12PM #7
Goyboy
Krybski:

I am glad that you posted in spite of your fear.

For years I have claimed that churches have mishandled the topic of homosexuality, and I have written about the subject on my own website.  For example, in Hard Questions About Christianity I state, "A person’s sexual orientation has nothing to do with whether or not a person can be a Christian."

Peerhaps it would be helpful to share with you my commentary Homosexuality and the Church*:

If a person has not received the free gift of eternal life offered by God, then it does not matter whether the person is homosexual or heterosexual. Even if homosexual behavior is wrong for Christians, it would be foolish to insist that non-Christians behave like Christians. Non-Christians do not have the ability to do so. The job of the Church then is to share with homosexuals how they can have a life that is abundant and eternal.

We have in the New Testament a statement by the Apostle Paul criticizing many kinds of behavior (including homosexual behavior). Sometime we focus on a particular behavior and overlook the big picture. Paul is describing the care-free lifestyle of people who are spiritually dead.

So how are we who are Christians to respond?

My Opinion: We ought to acknowledge that some people feel sexually attracted to members of the same sex. The origin of this feeling may be debated, but those with this feeling do not choose to have it. We need not condemn this feeling, otherwise we condemn ourselves for feeling the urge to engage in other sinful behaviors.

Should we condemn homosexual behavior? Answer: Only if we are willing to condemn our own sinful behaviors other than the aforementioned one.

In God's eyes all sins are equal, meaning the one who engages in homosexual behavior is on the same level as the one who engages in gluttony. But have you ever heard a sermon against gluttony? I haven't.

Are we to say that homosexuals are not to be singled out and given harsher criticism? Yes, indeed.

Are we to say that homosexuals should receive the same humane treatment given to heterosexuals? Again, yes.

Are we to say that homosexual behavior is worse than other sins? No. In God's eyes all sins are equal.

Are we to focus attention on homosexual behavior while ignoring the weightier matters of the Bible, such as taking care of the poor? Again, no. That would be a case of straining out the gnat and swallowing the camel.

Finally, can a person be a both a homosexual and a Christian? Yes, because homosexuality is not the unpardonable sin.

Krybski, I know of no biblical justification for depriving you of Christian fellowship because you are a lesbian.  If you can't find such fellowship for yourself in a traditional church setting, then please use the Internet to have fellowship with those Christians who do accept you - and I am one of them.

God's peace be unto you.

-David W.Robertson
davidwrobertson@yahoo.com

*Homosexuality and the Church,Soul Haven, by David W. Robertson.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2009 - 5:29PM #8
Bob_Bennett
Dear Kat,

There is a lot of difference between the teachings of Jesus and those of right wing Christianity.

To save yourself more pain, I suggest you avoid the following churches:

Bible churches

Non_Denominational churches (i.e. unaffiliated).

Evangelical churches

And keep your sexuality to yourself.

And study Matt. 15: 6-9 and its counterpart in  Mark 7: 6-9.    In these passages Jesus is dissing the entire Mosaic Code as found in Leviticus and labeling it as nothing more than man made rules masquerading as God given dogmas.  And with that , Jesus threw out the entire O.T. set of 603  Jewish "laws", while keeping the decalogue.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook