Switch to Forum Live View Christian Unitarian Universalist
6 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2008 - 7:50PM #1
DevoutSeeker
Hi. Could any Unitarian Universalist Christian's who are on this board please answer a few questions for me, 1 Who do you believe Jesus to be( God, Son of God, Teacher etc, etc), 2.Could you tell me a bit about your personal UU Christianity, 3. How do you understand Holy Communion?, Thanks.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2011 - 12:58PM #2
ExPluribusUnum

I don't consider myself a UU Christian (even though some folks think I am), but since this has sat here for 3 years without a response, I will answer anyway.

#1 I believe that Jesus was a man. For his time, he was considered to be very close to God, as Palestinian peoples then conceived of God, and is purported to have said and done many things which people still find meaningful today. I am willing, even as a non-Christian, to be inspired by teachings attributed to him, but not above words and deeds of other prophetic human beings of the past and present. If it weren't for that last bit, I might be willing to reconsider my self-given labels.

#2 I was raised a Christian, briefly (maybe 20 months) considered myself an  atheist, then became a Unitarian Universalist. In the time period when I called myself atheist, I was very anti-Christian and anti-religion. Even after becoming UU, I was wary of any semblance of Christianity and even some of the vestiges of Christian worship still present in UU congregations.  However, after all these years, I have a much more pleasant and accepting view of Christian communities, and am not likely to be put off by them as many UUs today still are. In fact, I sometimes enjoy being a guest in Christian communities and miss certain things about them that I find lacking in many UU congregations.

#3 I find religious rites in general to be of deep import to those for whom they have meaning, and therefore I afford them much respect. My understanding of what you refer to as "Holy Communion" has changed significantly over the years, and now I generally see it as symbolic of the unity and connection of a particular group of people coming together for sustenance - in this case, both spiritual and nutritive. Because I take my ritual seriously, I refuse communion in any community that I am not a part of, especially those communities for whom the ritual has a different meaning than the one I ascribe to it (which would include just about any Christian denomination). If I were to partake, I would find the act disrepectful both to the community offering communion and to myself, so whenever I am present I respectfully observe but do not participate in the ritual.  In fact, I have probably only taken "communion" a handful of times in the almost 15 years since I became a UU, and all of those times have been in small services at my current church.

Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Jun 13, 2013 - 1:11PM #3
Uusbnr_76
As for me, I DO believe in Jesus as the Son of God and Savior of the world. His death paid the price for our sins! I choose freely to follow Him and His teachings, but I'm not a Conservative Christian. I'm a Liberal Ecumenical Christian.
Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Jun 13, 2013 - 1:12PM #4
Uusbnr_76
As for me, I DO believe in Jesus as the Son of God and Savior of the world. His death paid the price for our sins! I choose freely to follow Him and His teachings, but I'm not a Conservative Christian. I'm a Liberal Ecumenical Christian.
Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Jun 13, 2013 - 1:59PM #5
Uusbnr_76

As for me, I DO believe in Jesus as the Son of God and Savior of the world. His death paid the price for our sins! I choose freely to follow Him and His teachings, but I'm not a Conservative Christian. I'm a UU Liberal Ecumenical Christian!

Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Jun 16, 2013 - 8:39AM #6
DalyaMaria

I'm relatively new to this website, and have come across many rude atheists. I don't know how I got involved with atheism except that I have many practical beliefs, but I still consider myself to be a Catholic Christian with New Age tendencies. I like to learn about other faiths because personally, I believe everything is ultimately connected in some way, so in my mind I connect what I know together to develop within an understanding of how the world and its beliefs are connected. I believe that eventually, everything will become one and return to the beginning of time, Creation, or what have you. So, now that you know where I'm coming from, tell me, what is the basic Unitarian Universalist belief, basically.

Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Jun 23, 2013 - 2:01AM #7
DotNotInOz
There is no "basic Unitarian Universalist belief" as you put it, Dalya. UUism calls itself a non-creedal faith meaning that there are no stated beliefs which UU's are supposed to believe (or claim to.)

Some choose to adopt the UU Principles as the basis for their development within the faith, others think those entirely irrelevant.

A UU seeks spiritual truths freely, unrestricted by any "must-believe's" and decides for self what things seem true. So, a UU Christian may believe Jesus said some useful things, might go a bit further and believe Jesus was a great teacher or perhaps believes Jesus had some sort of divinity beyond simply human. This last is not common among UU's since most who believe in the divinity of Jesus find UUism too unstructured and want a faith that emphasizes Jesus more. In general, UU Christians are not common.

Most UU's have a mixture of beliefs from several of the world's religions. As one of the Principles states, "a free and responsible search for truth and meaning" guides many UU's through life. Whatever works for you, in short.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook