7 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2008 - 12:45PM #1
iMusic
Hello! I'm Jennifer, and I'm interested in learning more about Paganism. I would like more information about the religion, and I have a question as well.
I was also wondering if it's possible to be both a Unitarian Universalist and a Pagan at the same time?
If you can give me an answer to both what Paganism is and if I can be a Unitarian Universalist and Pagan at the same time, that would be very well appreciated.
Thank you,
Jennifer.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2008 - 6:29PM #2
CreakyHedgewitch
You will get various answers depending on who you ask.

As a self-identified Pagan for 25+ years, I do not consider Paganism to be a religion. Religion here being defined as having a unique core defiinition of the divine from which evolves a recognisable shared structure of practice, moral guidelines and spiritual principles. I find Paganism is best explained as a modern Movement that began in the 20th century and to which people self-identify. Each individual also self-defines what Neo-/Paganism means personally and the validation of being Pagan is almost always experiential or by first-hand experience. It has also been my experience that consensus required for a shared – and universal – definition of Paganism as a singular defined religion literally contravenes the first three commonalties of self-identification, self-definition and self-validation. I therefore consider it highly unlikely that a singular religion able to be distinctly rrecognised universally as Paganism would be achieved by consensus.

It has been my experience as well that individuals who self-define as Pagans tend to be identifying his or her uniquwe personal belief system as 'the religion of Paganism'  even though they may have little in common with anyone else who also does this. I have also found Paganism used as an umbrella label for named religions such as Wicca, Pagan Witchcraft Traditions and small autonomous groups who define being Pagan by unique consensus. Sometimes it comes down to the appearance of community as in 'we all self-identify as Pagan therefore, we must be a religion' without further reference to a common core or structure of practice needed to actually celebrate together.

The experiences of others in this regard will vary accordingly, so you will get different opinions on this subject.

Unitarian Universalism seems to be welcoming of self-identified Pagans but it would depend on the group you interacted with, I would imagine. You might want to try CUUPS for example, which seems to be more specifically Pagan.

C.H.
No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2008 - 12:03PM #3
seventhcrow
It is certainly possible to be UU and Pagan. Creaky already mentioned the CUUPS. I'll also point out that there is a UU congregation which is entirely Pagan (Gaia Community). You'll run into UU Pagans here and there, though I'm not certain how many of us are on here with any regularity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2008 - 4:58PM #4
sfatula2000
*raises hand*

I'm one.  I stumbled into UU after being a Pagan witch for ~12 years.  The local UU Fellowship is the only safe gathering place for local Pagans, as I live in a conservative small town in a rural county.  As a result, a disproportionate number of members and friends are Pagan or have Pagan sympathies.

sfatula
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2008 - 4:58PM #5
sfatula2000
*raises hand*

I'm one.  I stumbled into UU after being a Pagan witch for ~12 years.  The local UU Fellowship is the only safe gathering place for local Pagans, as I live in a conservative small town in a rural county.  As a result, a disproportionate number of members and friends are Pagan or have Pagan sympathies.

sfatula
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2008 - 7:54PM #6
seventhcrow
See? You've run into two already....
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2008 - 3:41AM #7
lexa_blue
::raises hand::

Three