Switch to Forum Live View Should I sacrifice my meditation time?
6 years ago  ::  May 26, 2008 - 4:00PM #1
AtAStandstill
Hello, friends, I need some guidance (again).  I will be taking up a course in September which I am sure that I will be so busy being preoccupied with that I probably won't have any time for meditation or attending the meetings of my local Sangha.  I feel badly about this and I know that it will certainly affect my practice, yet this is something that I feel I should do in order to improve my chances of better employment. 
This course only lasts from September to January of next year, which is not a really long time (and I have been meditating for four years now, usually for 30-45 minutes along with a 10 minute walking meditation), still I am aware of being persistent in meditating. 
Thoughts, anybody?  Any and all comments welcome.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 26, 2008 - 9:41PM #2
RenGalskap
Hi Aass,

Given that you've been meditating regularly for four years, I don't think that a four month break is going to be a big problem. You can also try a temporary substitute by fucusing on some other part of Buddhist practice. For example, if you can't spend 45 minutes on meditating, try to be more mindful in your regular daily activities. Or anything else that you think of.

I'm sure the people at the Sangha will understand about taking advantage of a chance to get better job skills.

Good luck.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 26, 2008 - 9:49PM #3
Chiyo

AtAStandstill wrote:

Thoughts, anybody? Any and all comments welcome.

I would be extremely cautious in giving up both meditation and sangha meetings... And be aware, any time you break a good habit, it is difficult to start it up again.

But you, and you alone, know yourself - know your strengths and weaknesses, know what's best and healthiest for you. If you can trust yourself to get back into those healthy habits? Go for it.

Of course, while you may have to give up the 45 minute meditations and sangha meetings, perhaps you can still;

1) Do one or two 10 minutes meditations a day? Something is better than nothing.

2) Still keep in contact with Buddhists via the boards?

3) Do a little Buddhist reading here and there to help keep you mindful?

Whatever you decide, we're here for you and we wish you the best of luck.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook