Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Gay Bishop, partner plan civil union
6 years ago  ::  May 24, 2008 - 6:13PM #1
Apishapa
Headline in the morning paper, Religion & Ethics section:  "Gay bishop, partner plan civil union." 

"Episcopal Bishop V. Gene Robinson said he is advancing plans for a private civil union in June with his partner of 20 years, Mark Andrew.

Five years ago, New Hampshire Bishop V. Gene Robinson made headlines by becoming the first openly gay bishop elected in the Episcopal Church or in the wider Anglican Communion."   

What are your thoughts on this?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 24, 2008 - 7:00PM #2
Merope
[COLOR="Navy"]This thread was moved from "Christian-to-Christian Debate."

Merope
Beliefnet Community Host
Christian-to-Christian Debate

[/COLOR]
Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 24, 2008 - 7:13PM #3
Merope
[QUOTE=Apishapa;521881]Headline in the morning paper, Religion & Ethics section:  "Gay bishop, partner plan civil union." 

"Episcopal Bishop V. Gene Robinson said he is advancing plans for a private civil union in June with his partner of 20 years, Mark Andrew.

Five years ago, New Hampshire Bishop V. Gene Robinson made headlines by becoming the first openly gay bishop elected in the Episcopal Church or in the wider Anglican Communion."   

What are your thoughts on this?[/QUOTE]

I'm an Episcopalian, and I couldn't be more thrilled for Bishop Robinson, his partner, and their families.  So my thoughts are:  CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Actually, I'd like to see them come to California and get married (although that could be a trifle dicey if the damn DOMA amendment gets certified for the November ballot here).
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 24, 2008 - 8:43PM #4
REteach
I agree.  Congratulations!!  I hope theirs is as happy as mine has been.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 25, 2008 - 11:36AM #5
Mostyn32
Offering my congratulations and best wishes right behind Merope and REteach.  And I'll add that, if Bishop Gene and Mark can't make the trip to California, maybe they'd like to come to my part of the world and I'll preside at their wedding. I'm a Marriage Commissioner for my province and Gene and Mark wouldn't be my first gay marriage!
"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 25, 2008 - 12:09PM #6
Mareczku
If he is a bishop why should he have a civil union?  Shouldn't he have a church wedding? 

Peace - Mareczku
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 25, 2008 - 1:23PM #7
Merope
[QUOTE=Mareczku;523086]If he is a bishop why should he have a civil union?  Shouldn't he have a church wedding? 

Peace - Mareczku[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"]IMO, he should be able to have a church wedding.  Unfortunately, the Episcopal Church has not yet come that far.  Individual dioceses have developed liturgies for the blessing of same-sex unions, but the Episcopal Church as a whole has drawn the line (to date) at either developing a standard, Church-wide liturgy for the blessing of SSUs or extending the sacrament of matrimony to same-sex couples in state-authorized civil unions or domestic partnerships, or - in the case of California effective June 15 - state-licensed marriages.

Technically, I think the Episcopal Church has now promised other, more conservative, member churches of the Anglican Communion that it will no longer even bless same-sex unions.  I'm not sure, though, whether Gene and his partner may not already have had their union blessed, since they've been together for such a long time and this promise by the Church to refrain from blessing SSUs is relatively recent.

LOL, I remember when, several years ago, the deacon of my cathedral and his partner had their union blessed - in church - by our bishop.  The bishop insisted :-)  Great reception in the Cathedral Close afterwards, too.  Excellent food :-)

[/COLOR]
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 25, 2008 - 1:33PM #8
Merope
[QUOTE=Mareczku;523086]If he is a bishop why should he have a civil union?  Shouldn't he have a church wedding? 

Peace - Mareczku[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"]Also, even though the Episcopal Church currently withholds the sacrament of matrimony from same-sex couples, not even heterosexual couples can get married in any diocese of the Episcopal Church without a marriage license.  So I would assume that, once the Episcopal Church extends matrimony to same-sex couples, dioceses in states that recognize civil unions, domestic partnerships, or same-sex marriages would likewise require a marriage license or civil union/domestic partnership license or certificate prior to permitting an Episcopal church wedding of a same-sex couple.

[/COLOR]
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 27, 2008 - 1:19PM #9
Jenandew7

Merope wrote:

Also, even though the Episcopal Church currently withholds the sacrament of matrimony from same-sex couples, not even heterosexual couples can get married in any diocese of the Episcopal Church without a marriage license.  So I would assume that, once the Episcopal Church extends matrimony to same-sex couples, dioceses in states that recognize civil unions, domestic partnerships, or same-sex marriages would likewise require a marriage license or civil union/domestic partnership license or certificate prior to permitting an Episcopal church wedding of a same-sex couple.

And there are those in the Church trying to change this . . .

If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday. --Isaiah 58:10
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 27, 2008 - 1:21PM #10
Jenandew7

Apishapa wrote:

Headline in the morning paper, Religion & Ethics section:  "Gay bishop, partner plan civil union." 

What are your thoughts on this?

ALL good things come of God!

May their love be blessed!

*It is about time they put the horse back in front of the cart!  Living unmarried together!  For shame!* (joke!)

Annie

If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday. --Isaiah 58:10
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook