Switch to Forum Live View Deathbed conversion
6 years ago  ::  May 17, 2008 - 2:41PM #1
pug
I was hoping a LDS could help me understand the belief of their community about deathbed conversions.  Do you believe such a thing can't happen?  What effect would it have upon their afterlife, if any?  I'm specifically thinking of a person who has spent the majority of their life doing bad things before the conversion moment.  I don't really mean that it has to be on their deathbed, just late in their life or shortly before they die suddenly.  Thank you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 17, 2008 - 10:10PM #2
Kib
That's a great question.  I think it depends upon the legitimacy of the conversion.  If someone is converting at the last second just to attempt to evade a long life of sinful living then I think the conversion will have less to no validity in the hereafter.  But if the conversion is real and the person has truly repented of their sins then I suspect that it will have full force in the next life.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 18, 2008 - 7:45PM #3
pug
Thanks, Kib.  That sincerity matters makes sense to me.  If they don't repent, they go to an unhappy place, but is that a permament place for anyone?  I've read something on the main LDS site about once you pay, you go to the telestial (the bottom of the three) kingdom.  That's a happy place, right?  So does every person eventually go to a nice place, even if they don't repent?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 18, 2008 - 10:36PM #4
Ironhold
The worst of the worst will still end up in hell; however, one basically has to try in order to fail that miserably.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 19, 2008 - 1:59AM #5
moksha8088
The Telestial Kingdom is still supposed to be a pretty nice place.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 19, 2008 - 2:32PM #6
bytebear
Actually you are missing part of the picture.

First, when we die, we take with us all of our personality with us. If we would have accepted the gospel here, we will accept it in the next life.

When we die, we don't immediately go to a kingdom.  instead we enter a "spirit world"  In that world there are two divisions: Prison and Paradise.  If we have accepted Christ, we enter into paradise.  But if not, we are taught about Christ and then can  accept him and enter paradise.  Otherwise we remain in prison.  Remember, we have the same attitudes and understandings as we have here on Earth, so entering paradise will be no easier then than it will be on Earth.  But a deathbed confession, would certainly make the decision easier. 

Only after Judgement Day (which occurs at the end of the world, will we end up in a Kingdom.  Basically the timeline goes like this: 

1. Jesus returns to the earth
2. A reign of peace will last for 1000 years
3. Durring that time, those who have died will be resurrected (come back to life physically)
4. The order of resurrection will be based on your righteousness.  Those who are righteous will come to life first, then gradually over the 1000 years, eventually everyone will be made alive again (physically).
5. At the end of the 1000 years Satan will be loosed again for a short time, and we will all be tempted one last time.
6.  Satan is finally banished for good, and we are all judged by Jesus Christ.  Then we receive glory based on our righteousness.  Some get greater glory than others, and are divided into three main kingdoms.

Hope that helps.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 19, 2008 - 6:23PM #7
Kib
[QUOTE=pug;508521]If they don't repent, they go to an unhappy place, but is that a permament place for anyone?[/quote]

It's not permanent. The "unhappy place", or spirit prison as it is frequently called is where people suffer Godly sorrow for their sins.  On a side note, I've been reading a number of apocryphal books lately and the Gospel of Peter tells a story of a woman who died in her sins and was restored to life by Peter.  She tells her death experience and describes a place that she calls a prison, which I thought was interesting.

[QUOTE=pug;508521]I've read something on the main LDS site about once you pay, you go to the telestial (the bottom of the three) kingdom.  That's a happy place, right?  So does every person eventually go to a nice place, even if they don't repent?[/QUOTE]

Heavenly Father loves us, as His children and creation.  We believe, as Paul teaches in the New Testament, that in the resurrection people will be given differing degrees of glory.  As a little background, the subject of chapter 15 of first Corinthians is the resurrection.

"There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory. So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:" (1 Cor. 15:40-42, emphasis mine)

What this means is that life isn't so much "pass or fail", but rather graded on the degree of faith we had in Jesus Christ.  The glory of the sun is far better than the glory of the stars, and is obtained through obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel made possible through the atoning blood of Jesus the Christ.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook