Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Just What is Faith?
10 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2008 - 9:33PM #1
trying4ahalo
From all of its many definitions and examples that have been held up to me, faith seems to boil down to this.  If I got up on the roof of the building where I work (the building is 30 stories tall) and jumped, the only reason I would break every bone in my body or die is because of a lack of faith.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2008 - 1:01AM #2
Dioloquese
Hello2U4aHalo-
Ouch! 'Someone holding up THAT explanation of faith needs a good case of laryngitis if that's all they can tell you.
I think I see a little facetious nous in this post . Am I right?

Faith and the application of it, is God's way of getting his creations to establish a positive and meaningful relationship with their creator.
There are so many other explanations which are aspects of the truth but I sense that this is the highest purpose for it.

One thing Faith is not - is a way for mankind to exercise control of the laws of Nature which our Creator set in place.
[That's a job description for radioactive mutants and superheroes with indomitable ego's.]
Faith is Gods green light for Him to come down and interact with us.
He absolutely loves it when we exercise FAITH and that's because he absolutely loves us and wants to hang with us -and we, with him. It still doesn't happen in a grand scale in todays society - but in the same way from time to time the sun comes closer to the earth, (looking from our perspective anyway).
The Spirit plans to pour an unprecedented influence of love and truth out on the earth in the not to distant future making it much easier for hungry hearts to see His love for them and find the rest their looking for.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2008 - 3:47AM #3
BethK
That would work if you were testing your faith in the laws of gravity, not a faith in God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2008 - 10:29PM #4
Abitail
Faith is believing in something you can't see. We can't see God, yet we have faith in Him. God is the One that gives us faith in Him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2008 - 1:05AM #5
MrHopeful
In the last couple of years I've  been thinking about the concept of faith, and how it relates to the other related concepts of belief and hope.     I have come up with some meanings of these things that make sense to me,  but in the process I wind up with a definition of faith which is different from the meaning most people attach to it.   It may make sense to you to think about it in this way.

I see faith as the predisposition   (i.e. the willingness)   to behave as if some proposition or set of propositions is true.  1)   I    am not afraid to buy a plane ticket to Hawaii because I have faith that Hawaii exists, and that there will be a place for the plane to land at the end of its journey.     2) I   will soon go out to my car  and pack my bags into it to go to the office, because I have faith that it will start when I turn the key.   3) I  don't mind  giving five dollars to the homeless person on the street, because I have faith that  much greater things than five dollars await me either in this life or the next.

How do we  encounter and relate to these propositions that we are prepared to let our behavior be guided by?   One way  is  through our  sensory experiences, another way is through inferences from these experiences.    This includes what we read from trustworthy sources.       These   propositions  impose themselves upon us.       Our relationship towards these propositions is one of belief.        Belief can lead to faith, as in  cases 1) and 2) above.        Since I believe that Hawaii exists,   I am willing to  show faith  by buying a ticket there.

There are other propositions  that  do not impose themselves on us,  but that rather attract us to them,   based on their beauty, or based on the  horribleness of their negation    (There is a loving God, vs. We are alone in a pointless universe).     These propositions become so dear to me as I contemplate them,   and put more detail into them  (e.g. by study of scripture, or by listening to other people speak of them)   that I  become willing to behave as if they were true.     This relation to a proposition I call hope.       My contention is that hope can lead to a faith  that is just as "valid"   as the faith that comes from belief.  Case 3) above would be behavior produced by faith stemming from hope.   Notice, and this is where I will  get in trouble with most Christians,    my faith  in 3)  is not based on belief .     The only belief requirement  is that I not believe the negation of the proposition I have hope in--i.e. I have to believe that the proposition is at least possible.   So I can say that I hope in the promises that I read about in scripture, and so I have faith in them, even if I can't say that I believe them.   But not believing them  is not the same as disbelieving them.

I think that if  Christians would  speak of their faith in this way,   they may avoid some  of the criticisms  about  believing things  in the lack of sufficient evidence.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2008 - 7:02PM #6
birwin4
I think your propositions are good. They reminded me of a book I read years ago called 'The Myth of Certainty' By Daniel Taylor put out by Intervarsity Fellowship.
Too often Christians turn faith into a jump in the dark rather than a leap into the unknown, if that makes sense.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2008 - 7:02PM #7
birwin4
I think your propositions are good. They reminded me of a book I read years ago called 'The Myth of Certainty' By Daniel Taylor put out by Intervarsity Fellowship.
Too often Christians turn faith into a jump in the dark rather than a leap into the unknown, if that makes sense.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2008 - 1:06AM #8
TheAuthor
All good answers to the question.

I'm new on the board,my first post and I would like to add my thoughts to your question  'trying4ahalo'.

A good scriptural  definition of faith is found at Heb.11:1-3.  Faith  is the assured expection of things hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld. 2. For by means of this the men of old times had winess born to them. 3. By faith we preceive that the systems of things were put in order by God's word, so that what is beheld has come to be out of things that do not appear.
The chapter is sumed up in the concluding scripture, Heb.11:39,40,  And yet all these although they had witness borne to them through their faith, did not get fulfillment of the promise, 40 as God forsaw something better for us, in order that they might not be made perfect apart from us.
So apparently faith is based on 'the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld'.
Excellent example given in MrHopeful's post.

TheAuthor!
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2008 - 9:45PM #9
Jupiter
[QUOTE=trying4ahalo;416135]From all of its many definitions and examples that have been held up to me, faith seems to boil down to this.  If I got up on the roof of the building where I work (the building is 30 stories tall) and jumped, the only reason I would break every bone in my body or die is because of a lack of faith.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Gray"]Faith is not about proving some extreme proposition like jumping off a building.  It is about growing in the awareness of God and letting God quietly guide your actions so they do only good in the world.  Your example is destructive and would be self aggrandizing and self possessed, (even if it did work).  It's not about glorifying yourself through action.  Jesus taught humility and simplicity- natural, easy acceptance of God's will and grace - grace that encourages us to help build a just and peaceful kingdom in our lives and for all the earth and creation.  [/COLOR]
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2008 - 8:34PM #10
Shumby
[QUOTE=TheAuthor;437623]All good answers to the question.

I'm new on the board,my first post and I would like to add my thoughts to your question  'trying4ahalo'.

A good scriptural  definition of faith is found at Heb.11:1-3.  Faith  is the assured expection of things hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld. 2. For by means of this the men of old times had winess born to them. 3. By faith we preceive that the systems of things were put in order by God's word, so that what is beheld has come to be out of things that do not appear.
The chapter is sumed up in the concluding scripture, Heb.11:39,40,  And yet all these although they had witness borne to them through their faith, did not get fulfillment of the promise, 40 as God forsaw something better for us, in order that they might not be made perfect apart from us.
So apparently faith is based on 'the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld'.
Excellent example given in MrHopeful's post.

TheAuthor![/QUOTE]

I agree with TheAuthor and also with Abitail.  I'm relatively new here. Don't even recollect if I've posted or not. Mainly, today, I just wanted to see if my designated avatar shows up.  Blessings to all.  I'll keep checking in.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook