Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Curious about "saved"
6 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2008 - 9:36AM #1
AndyF
Hello, I had a few questions about being saved...

I am under the impression that being saved is a yes/no "condition" (for the lack of a better word); either you are or you aren't.  Is the process of being saved an instantaneous occurrence, is it a process that happens slowly over time, or can it vary for different people?

Please ignore this second part if it is too personal.  I am curious about what happened physically and emotionally at the moment you believed yourself to be saved.  I'm not implying delusion here, but was there a visible or audible manifestation or something in your mind's eye?  Did you feel a change in temperature or heart rate?  Any other sensory stimulus or unusual memories or emotions?

Thank you for your input
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2008 - 6:24PM #2
Anesis
Andy, I believe that being saved is a yes/no condition, which begins with an initial, sincere sorrow, which leads to repentance for our sins. The reason i say it is sincere, is that some people seem to think that you just 'get saved' and then you have a license to do what ever you like. But for a believer, someone who is sincere, we are driven by our love for God, by his love for us, by the love-relationship, to work at our relationship with him. The Bible tells us that those who repent and are baptized are saved, but we are also told later on in the Bible to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling. So in my opinion, salvation begins with the initial sorrow and repentance, but is continued throughout our lives as we work to put on the character if Christ and to walk in obedience to the principles he has laid out for us in the Bible.

When I was a teenager, I went through the motions, and I believe that I was "saved"; but I also strayed as a teen and young adult, and didn't know about what living in right relationship with God through Christ was all about. Then when I was about to turn 30, my whole world seemed like it was falling apart: nine friends and family had died, some tragically. I was a new mom with no job, only a partial education, and my husband ran away from home, and we were going to have my granny's funeral on my 30th birthday. It all just seemed like too much to bear! I prayed for the first time in years, and although I know it was not audible to anyone but me, I "heard" a message from God - that could have been him speaking directly, but also it could have been a messenger angel. It was a message that pulled several Bible verses together for me and it encouraged me, and I found strength in it. So I learned what it was to be in right relationship with God, and from then on, I sought to hear his voice more, to live in obedience, and to learn more about this God who loved me so much that he provided a way of reconciliation with him, so that I could become holy as he is holy.

Emotionally, the experience simply encouraged me. There were no physical manifestations or changes, but I sure slept well that night! There was peace in my body that I had never understood before.

I hope that helps answer your question. If you would like clarification, just ask!
An
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 8:32AM #3
AndyF
I appreciate the respones...

Anesis wrote:

Andy, I believe that being saved is a yes/no condition, which begins with an initial, sincere sorrow, which leads to repentance for our sins.... So in my opinion, salvation begins with the initial sorrow and repentance, but is continued throughout our lives as we work to put on the character if Christ and to walk in obedience to the principles he has laid out for us in the Bible.

I think I understand...it's more than just "OK, I believe it, so now I'm saved".  It sounds like once a person is saved, it's also something that requires an effort to maintain.  Would it be safe to say that one can lose salvation?

Emotionally, the experience simply encouraged me. There were no physical manifestations or changes, but I sure slept well that night! There was peace in my body that I had never understood before.

I hope it doesn't sound like I am trying to reduce your experience, but is that peaceful feeling something that stays always stays with you or when directly communing with God?  Is it every time you commune, or just sometimes?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 11:07AM #4
Anesis
Hi, Andy,
I do not believe one can lose their salvation. I do believe there are those who, like me when I was a teen, are sincere about asking Jesus into their heart, but have no knowledge of what it means to be a Christian. They are still saved because of the sincerity of heart, from what I understand, but they do not grow in Christian maturity. There are also those who go through the motions and only do it for the 'show' or to gain a license to sin or some other personal gain. I do not believe they were 'saved' to begin with.

There are some Christians - both evangelical and not - who believe you can lose your salvation. I just happen to be one who does not believe you can lose it.

As for peace, in the last 14 years that I have had a relationship with God, I might have felt that sense of peace maybe half a dozen times, at most, and not only when directly communing with God. In fact, once I was sitting on my back porch in the morning. It had rained a little during the night, so there was the smell of cottonwoods in the air, the leaves and grass were so green, and you could still hear the drops of rain making their way down the walnut tree. I was having my coffee and smoke like I did every morning, and I had that deep sense of peace. The thing is, I never prayed when I smoked (I quit 6 years ago). Yet I knew that peace. I also used to fast and pray, and only once during a fast did I ever sense that peace.

Having said all that about peace, there is a sense of peace that I have in my daily life, which is closely related to faith for me - knowing that God is sovereign. Sure, there are times when my humanness takes over and I do not feel very peaceful about certain things that are going on, but overall, when I remove my own 'emotional aspect', I have a sense of peace that God is in control, even when I might not be.

I hope that helps.
An
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 3:01PM #5
Laura78
Anesis, I am jealous!!!!

I wonder sometimes if I am there or not there yet...
What you describe is a lot like the "surprised by joy" feeling that CS Lewis describes in his bio.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 6:05PM #6
Anesis
Oooh, Laura, please don't be jealous! Look at the tragedy my life is right now!!! It is very hard to find peace in that, as you know! And joy? Well, I have not had much joy in my life for years. But I do have a sense of peace, even if I have to be reminded of it now and then.
An
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 9:41PM #7
AndyF

Anesis wrote:

Oooh, Laura, please don't be jealous! Look at the tragedy my life is right now!!! It is very hard to find peace in that, as you know! And joy? Well, I have not had much joy in my life for years. But I do have a sense of peace, even if I have to be reminded of it now and then.
An

It sure sounds like you've been through a lot.  I bet that sense of peace means so much more.    Congrats on quitting smoking by the way.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 9:41PM #8
AndyF

Anesis wrote:

An

It sure sounds like you've been through a lot.  I bet that sense of peace means so much more.    Congrats on quitting smoking by the way.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2008 - 2:12PM #9
LiveOak
Dear Andy,

I agree that salvation is an instantaneous event, but not at the event that most people teach today. In the Bible, believers were immediately baptized for the forgiveness of sins, as stated in Acts 2:37-41 and many other places in the Bible (do a search for "baptize" and "baptism" in a Bible concordance).

Similarly, early church writings confirm how they were taught about the need for baptism:
110-165 AD Martyr The "Constitutions of the Holy Apostles" also refer to John 3:5. There, the one who refuses to be baptized is to be condemned as an unbeliever, partially on the basis of what Jesus told Nicodemus…. "He that, out of contempt, will not be baptized, shall be condemned as an unbeliever, and shall be reproached as ungrateful and foolish. For the Lord says: 'Except a man be baptized of water and of the Spirit, he shall by no means enter into the kingdom of heaven.' And again: 'He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved but he that believeth not shall be damned.'" (Justin Martyr "Constitutions of the Holy Apostles," Ante-Nicene Fathers, vol. 7, pg. 456-457.)
from http://www.bible.ca/H-baptism.htm

So, please consider what Ananias asked Paul when Paul was saved, "And now what are you waiting for? Get up be baptized, and wash your sins away, calling on his name." (Acts 22:16)

It can be very tempting to rely on feelings, knowledge and experiences to judge rules about salvation, but we all have feelings/knowledge/experiences which conflict with each other, and even within ourselves, depending on the day. If we believe in salvation through Jesus, why not go back to the books that reveal him to us to judge how we might be saved.

In the same way, I believe scripture also tells us that we can lose our salvation - not that anyone can take it away from us (as Romans 8:35-39 says) - but that we can walk away from God. God always has an open invitiation - we freely come to him for salvation, and we can freely walk away. See these scriptures:
2 Tim 2:11-13: What if we don't endure? What if we disown him?
Hebrews 10: The writers encourages them to persevere, and ends that those who shrink back will be destroyed.

There are many more scriptures that talk about how baptism and our continued faith in Jesus are integral to our salvation. Let me know if you want some more examples.

Cheers,

Dave
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2008 - 3:54PM #10
AndyF

LiveOak wrote:

It can be very tempting to rely on feelings, knowledge and experiences to judge rules about salvation, but we all have feelings/knowledge/experiences which conflict with each other, and even within ourselves, depending on the day. If we believe in salvation through Jesus, why not go back to the books that reveal him to us to judge how we might be saved.

Is it necessarily a problem if the experience is different for people?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook