Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 18  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18 Next
9 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2009 - 7:59PM #1
Rosie-Toes
People are constantly proselytizing me and telling me to "accept Jesus."

Well--convince me. Why should I? I used to be Christian. Since then the following have happened:

--A good friend died alone because the Christian doctors would not allow his same-sex partner into the hospital to see him.
--A friend's house was set on fire because she is Buddhist.
--I was raped by a "good Christian" because I was questioning the bible.
--My best friend's child is currently in the hospital because a proselytizing little boy beat her up because she's a tomboy, and therefore must be a lesbian.
--Another good friend lost his job because he is Buddhist (though they didn't cite that as the reason, it was pretty obvious).
--My mother (a Christian at the time) was told she was going to hell because she was in a wheelchair, because she would be healed if she was really a true believer. 

So, convince me. Why should I become a part of a religion that has cause me and my loved ones nothing but grief? Why should I live my life according to a God that inspires such actions? Why would I accept Jesus, when all he has caused in my life is suffering? Why should I belong to such an organization if it means I'll have to be surrounded by people like those I've mentioned above for the rest of my life?

It was Christians who pushed me away from Christianity. Now they are trying to bring me back. Why can't you people just make up your minds? If my belief in Christ was so important, why was I pushed away?
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2009 - 8:18PM #2
REteach
I hope Megan is doing OK.

(((Rosie)))

If you are searching for the Divine, you will find it.  If you feel betrayed by Christianity, and it certainly sounds that way, then the Divine will find (has found?) you through a different path. 

I wish I could find a way to excuse the behavior you have encountered, but I can't.  I wish I could make it better, but I can't do that either.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2009 - 9:43PM #3
johnacancienne
[QUOTE=Rosie-Toes;1014926]People are constantly proselytizing me and telling me to "accept Jesus."

Well--convince me. Why should I? I used to be Christian. Since then the following have happened:

--A good friend died alone because the Christian doctors would not allow his same-sex partner into the hospital to see him.
--My best friend's child is currently in the hospital because a proselytizing little boy beat her up because she's a tomboy, and therefore must be a lesbian.
--Another good friend lost his job because he is Buddhist (though they didn't cite that as the reason, it was pretty obvious).
--My mother (a Christian at the time) was told she was going to hell because she was in a wheelchair, because she would be healed if she was really a true believer. 

So, convince me. Why should I become a part of a religion that has cause me and my loved ones nothing but grief? Why should I live my life according to a God that inspires such actions? Why would I accept Jesus, when all he has caused in my life is suffering? Why should I belong to such an organization if it means I'll have to be surrounded by people like those I've mentioned above for the rest of my life?

It was Christians who pushed me away from Christianity. Now they are trying to bring me back. Why can't you people just make up your minds? If my belief in Christ was so important, why was I pushed away?[/QUOTE]

Prosyltation is actually the first seeds of fanaticism. It's when people get so hung up on a concept before exploring the possibility that other people might have anything else to offer.
It isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 12:27AM #4
Madhorseman
Apostle Paine

[QUOTE]I would only convince you to join with us that have already crossed over from the other side where you are, so that you may move FORWARD from Christianity, to a real peace, and a more believable truth, where God may still exist, but not in the prefabricated form cast by primitive men through religion and theology.[/QUOTE]

Well that sounds sweet and all but man is created to be religious and theology is a big step into understanding truth and sound doctrine.

[QUOTE]If you look at the evidence of the sheer volume of hypocrisy surrounding the far greater part of your own Christian experience and the deeds of most all organized religions over the history of time, this should be a sign of itself that religion grossly misrepresents God.[/QUOTE]

History in time is one thing and the apostasy of the churches is another. The sign is the falling away of the churches. And end of time perhaps:D
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 12:33AM #5
Madhorseman

Rosie Toes

Hello there Rosie and please to meet you.

[QUOTE]People are constantly proselytizing me and telling me to "accept Jesus."
[/QUOTE]

First of all, whenever some one says “Accept Jesus” Is already giving you false gospel called freewill doctrine.

What they are saying is Christ paid for the sins of the whole mankind and its now up to you to accept him. That whole salvation plan is not of the Bible. In fact it’s a guarantee salvation plan that you will not get to heaven. And similar to what Apostle Paine said every religion and every church is infected with freewill doctrine.

The Bible has one salvation plan all through time which is through grace. Noah in Genesis found grace in the eyes of the LORD and everyone that ever come to salvation is through grace of Christ. Old testament Israel were saved through grace and likewise today.

And salvation is completely the work of Christ. God elected whom he will save before the foundation of the world and Christ made the atonement for his people way before he even created this world. Those whom he elected he gives them salvation with an inheritance of new heaven and new earth.

So I just wanted to clarify what you said above. Accepting Christ is not biblical.

[QUOTE]Well--convince me. Why should I? I used to be Christian. Since then the following have happened:[/QUOTE]

And I have read what you said but how do you know they are Christians? Just because someone says they are Christians that isn’t proving anything. I said this all the time that most who call themselves Christians are not Christians at all.

[QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

None of this is defended by other Christians. And certainly not defended by the Bible.

[QUOTE]--Another good friend lost his job because he is Buddhist (though they didn't cite that as the reason, it was pretty obvious).
[/QUOTE]

Yea… Again, physical healing has nothing to do with the Bible. The healings spoken of in the Bible is pointing to our sin sick soul. And what you are describing is those lusting after sign and wonders. Gift of healing etc. That is why God gives us doctors.

[QUOTE]So, convince me. Why should I become a part of a religion that has cause me and my loved ones nothing but grief? Why should I live my life according to a God that inspires such actions? [/QUOTE]

No God don’t inspire such actions.

I’m sorry to hear the things you went through and perhaps you will find peace in all those things. Christians do find rest in Christ.

And if you really want to know about Christ or God’s salvation you have to under the hearing of the Bible. Faith cometh be hearing and hearing by the word of God. The bible is where we find grace.

[QUOTE]It was Christians who pushed me away from Christianity. Now they are trying to bring me back. Why can't you people just make up your minds? If my belief in Christ was so important, why was I pushed away?[/QUOTE]

Like I said, most who say they are Christians are not Christians. 90 to 95 percent are not. Just to give you an idea. And forget the churches. If you want to know about God read the bible.

Take care. And God bless.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 2:33AM #6
Ashe
[QUOTE=Rosie-Toes;1014926]People are constantly proselytizing me and telling me to "accept Jesus."

It was Christians who pushed me away from Christianity. Now they are trying to bring me back. Why can't you people just make up your minds? If my belief in Christ was so important, why was I pushed away?[/QUOTE]

No.  I'm not going to try to convince you.  I find peace, truth, love, hope and freedom in my faith in God if you do not find any of these things in Christianity than I don't see why you would want to follow the religion nor do I think that you should. 

What you have described above are moral evils that Christians should spend a great deal more time and effort speaking against than they currently do as loving your neighbor is the second greatest commandment that Christ gave us and I am completely confounded every time I hear of these things being done in the name of God by Christians as it all goes against what Jesus teaches us. God however, does not inspire such actions people are cruel beings all on their own and what they believe God to be or say may inspire such cruelty but that is quite different from what/who God actually is.

If you are looking for a faith than other than my own religion (which does not seem like a good option for you right now) I would suggest Buddhism.  Then again it doesn't look like Buddhists are very well received in your area so maybe that wouldn't be a good choice either.  Nevermind I just saw your profile, it looks like you have already found something.

I hope you and the others you have mentioned find peace and happiness in the future.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 8:16AM #7
Iwantamotto
[QUOTE=Rosie-Toes]People are constantly proselytizing me and telling me to "accept Jesus."

I haven't had that kind of violence, but I have experienced that kind of attitude problem.  It's really sad when you have to go to non-Christians (or even the villains of this world) to find nice people.
Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 9:12AM #8
davelaw40

Rosie-Toes wrote:

People are constantly proselytizing me and telling me to "accept Jesus."

Well--convince me. Why should I? I used to be Christian. Since then the following have happened:...

It was Christians who pushed me away from Christianity. Now they are trying to bring me back. Why can't you people just make up your minds? If my belief in Christ was so important, why was I pushed away?

that would be proselytizing and against the rules of conduct

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 1:26PM #9
Madhorseman
IWAM

[QUOTE]I haven't had that kind of violence, but I have experienced that kind of attitude problem. It's really sad when you have to go to non-Christians (or even the villains of this world) to find nice people.[/QUOTE]

First of all, I said this many times before but majority of those who call themselves Christians are not Christians. What Rosie is describing are those who call themselves Christians but they are no true Christians.

So what you are doing is using what she said as a foundation to build criticisms.
Fact is you were desperately trying to prove evolution because you are in enmity with God of the Bible. You continued to reject the things I said because it didn’t go along with your preconceived ideas. So I may not been altogether a nice person to you but we don’t go to nice people to find truth.

And I’m being nice to you. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 1:30PM #10
Madhorseman
Davelaw40

[QUOTE]that would be proselytizing and against the rules of conduct[/QUOTE]

You are correct. But …. Let it go.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 18  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest