Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
7 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2008 - 5:21PM #11
MatthewM13134
I pretty much agree that the msg of Christ has reached every nation.  Bad things still go on in the world & that will never change. 
I try to be the best Christian I can by being kind to others & being open about my Christian beliefs if asked.  However, we do need to be careful how we spread the msg.  I for one do not agree with those overbearing Christians who try to force their beliefs on others.  God gave us free will & he he leaves it up to the individual to decide.  The msg of God has reached every nation & I think most people are given ample time to discover Him.  Sometimes people just aren't ready to "hear."  I know when I was younger I wasn't ready to truly believe.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2008 - 11:27PM #12
birwin4
[QUOTE=MatthewM13134;368317]I pretty much agree that the msg of Christ has reached every nation.  Bad things still go on in the world & that will never change. 
I try to be the best Christian I can by being kind to others & being open about my Christian beliefs if asked.  However, we do need to be careful how we spread the msg.  I for one do not agree with those overbearing Christians who try to force their beliefs on others.  God gave us free will & he he leaves it up to the individual to decide.  The msg of God has reached every nation & I think most people are given ample time to discover Him.  Sometimes people just aren't ready to "hear."  I know when I was younger I wasn't ready to truly believe.[/QUOTE]

One thing to remember is that the word 'nations' greek 'Ta ethnos' refers to ethnic groups of which there are over 16 000 (See SIL Ethnologue at SiL.org). To say all of these have heard the gospel is a bit premature in my opinion. Even if we are talking about the 150+ nations in the UN we may be presuming too much. As far as I know there has never been a Kurd converted to Christianity nor for that matter someone from North Yemen. It is too insular to surmise that everyone has heard the gospel because it seems so common in places like the USA. There is a whole world out there in desperate need of the knowledge that Christ has defeated sin, death and hell. by his living , dying and rising again.
I agree that we have to earn the right to speak of the Christian message and that takes time and empathy. This means that there is still room for Christians to visit these ethnic groups and get to know them
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2008 - 8:22AM #13
kollo
[QUOTE=birwin4;369094]One thing to remember is that the word 'nations' greek 'Ta ethnos' refers to ethnic groups of which there are over 16 000 (See SIL Ethnologue at SiL.org). To say all of these have heard the gospel is a bit premature in my opinion.

I don't think that anyone has actually said that. Some ethnic groups are exceedingly small and difficult to reach, for one reason or another, and it would be somewhat absurd to make special efforts to reach these groups, simply because of their ethnicity, when there are needy on one's doorstep. There is, after all, neither Greek nor Scythian.

A more important consideration is political division and the concomitant boundaries. This was an egregious issue in the time of the USSR, and this is still so in the case of China and in other non-Western countries, particularly those practising shariah. And that brings us to another consideration more important than ethnicity, which is existing religion. As is well known, Islam shows considerable resistance to Christian mission, not infrequently expressed in violence. Hinduism likewise can make Christian mission very difficult. Non-natives are not permitted to preach the gospel in India. In Burma/Myanmar, Christianity is severely restricted in favour of the Buddhist majority. These practices should be illegal, but there it is, the way of the world.

So it is one thing to say 'Preach the Word to all nations', no matter how a nation is defined, but another to actually achieve it. One's own witness in one's own home and locality may be the way to start mission.

As far as I know there has never been a Kurd converted to Christianity nor for that matter someone from North Yemen.

Most Kurds are Muslim. That has a rather greater influence on whether or not the gospel may be spread to them than their ethnicity. Half of Kurds live in Turkey, which country has civil rights issues, particularly with regard to Christians, though perhaps less severe than shariah countries have.

Would anyone necessarily know if a Kurd has been converted, anyway? As Iraqi Kurds have been isolated by Saddam for decades, is it not somewhat unfair to expect anyone to know about that? At present, it is Christians in Iraq who are under threat of violence, and they are having to leave. So even to mention the Kurds may be unfortunate.

It is too insular to surmise that everyone has heard the gospel because it seems so common in places like the USA.

It does seem common. But is it? What one person describes as the gospel another describes as error, even though the words each uses in transmitting their gospels may be similar. It may be that the pure, unadulterated gospel is as scarce in the USA as it is in Saudi Arabia. It may be that there is more real Christianity in China, Africa, Russia and in many other places than there is in the Land of Mammon.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2008 - 1:15PM #14
Kate123
Maybe “real Christianity” is an illusion. A foolish attempt to box up Jesus and present him in our desired image and then declare this the proper and true image. A bunch of forceful semantics.

Or maybe “real Christianity” is not an illusion. Rather the development of a personal understanding or a deepening relationship with the Christ that cannot be forced onto others. A way to live a life.

Kollo, what do you think the Christ would like you to express to the world about his life?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2008 - 1:23PM #15
Kate123
[FONT=Arial]This means that there is still room for Christians to visit these ethnic groups and get to know them.

I will agree with this. I think there are plenty people who still don’t know that much about how Christ lived. I also like how you wrote “and get to know them”. I think this demonstrates a willingness to not simply convert people, but a desire to understand them in hopes that they might better understand you (and thereby come to understand your relationship with Christ). I think this seems Christ-like.[/FONT]
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2008 - 2:07PM #16
kollo
[QUOTE=Kate123;370189]Maybe “real Christianity” is an illusion. A foolish attempt to box up Jesus and present him in our desired image and then declare this the proper and true image. A bunch of forceful semantics.

Or maybe “real Christianity” is not an illusion. Rather the development of a personal understanding or a deepening relationship with the Christ that cannot be forced onto others. A way to live a life.

Kollo, what do you think the Christ would like you to express to the world about his life?[/QUOTE]
I would like all to be able to read the Old and New Testaments in their original languages, so they could come to their own conclusions about Jesus. In practice, of course, translations are necessary, but these should be as accurate as possible while being readily understood by their target readerships.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2009 - 8:53PM #17
tearose23
[QUOTE=SherriMunnerlyn;367404]At this time in my life, I find myself thinking more and more about the condition of Christianity in our world today. And I read Matthew 19, where Jesus tells his disciples to go into the world and make disciples of all the nations, "baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, Teaching them to observe everything that I have commanded you." 

I read the words of Jesus to all of us in Matthew 19 and look at the world around me and cannot help but think we are falling short in responding to Jesus call to all of us to go and teach all nations about Christ. This is not a command given only to churches or missionairies, but to each Christian. These words speak personally to each one of us. I think about the tools we have available to us today to communicate with each other. I think about the internet and how we can talk to people all over this world. I know we still have language barriers and cultural barriers, but there are a good number of people that speak English in foreign countries.

I think about how we put God in a box and how it is really only the limitations we ourselves place upon ourselves that are operating as a barrier to us expanding God's kingdom in  this world. Each one of us has the power to do great things to expand God's kingdom all over this world, with God working through us and the Holy Spirit in our hearts, if we only open our eyes and gaze upon the bigger picture of our world and our place in this world. And if we would just spend time, each one of us,  seeking ways personally to respond to Jesus words in Matthew 19, I cannot even begin to imagine the things we could do to expand God's kingdom, with the Holy Spirit leading and guiding us and with God's power enabling us to do great things to further his kingdom.

I challenge each of you and myself, as well,  to personally seek to respond to Jesus command to us in Matthew 19 to go into the world and teach all nations about Christ.[/QUOTE]
I totally agree. But who are we to judge. The person who prays the most simplest prayers can be the most effective in moving the hand of God in a cirrcumstance. Why is this? Because God sees the heart. A pure heart. Has the gospel been preached to all nations? No. When that happens we will see the coming of the Messiah. This  is what I believe that Jesus was there before the Earth was formed. He was there when the Angles were created and the He was there when the Earth began its beginning. He will also be there for the end. Alpha the Omega the beginning and The End.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook