Switch to Forum Live View masturbation is it a mortal sin for women
7 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2008 - 1:12PM #1
marie2008
i am female and i ws wondering  it is a bit embarrsing  but  if you are married and  your husband is ill,is it considered  a sin if you  self pleasure.. i wont go in to detail  ,  he has been sick so it has beena while ,it isnt somthing   i do  all the time  it just was once in a while in  circumstances like this i do hope some one can help im  very embarrsed,  i hope some one can help me on this and what the church says.....thank you  marie2008
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2008 - 9:36AM #2
Shaner

marie2008 wrote:

i am female and i ws wondering it is a bit embarrsing but if you are married and your husband is ill,is it considered a sin if you self pleasure.. i wont go in to detail , he has been sick so it has beena while ,it isnt somthing i do all the time it just was once in a while in circumstances like this i do hope some one can help im very embarrsed, i hope some one can help me on this and what the church says.....thank you marie2008

Hello Marie,

You don't have to feel embarassed, human sexuality is a gift from God to us and everything He creates is good!

However, sexual intimacy, relations are reserved for married couples only, its an act of profound unity between couples and to have children, as God instructed us. 

I understand your situation, but this is where self-dicipline come's in, ask God to help you to overcome temptation and strengthen your resolve.  Yes, it is a sin and must be confessed, there's no need to feel any embarassment confessing it, explain your situation in the Confessional and the Graces you receive will help you immensely!  We all fall and stumble along the way, but we pick ourselves back up and continue on our Journey, growing closer to God!

Peace,
Sandy

"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2008 - 10:42AM #3
Bob_Bennett
Dear Marie,

It is not clear that masturbation is a sin for anyone.  The Church points to what it calls "Onan's sin" where Onan withdrew from coitus and spilled his seed on the ground, and God killed him. See Gen. 38:9

But Onan was supposed to be fulfilling an obligation under Jewish Law of providing a child for his widowed sister in law, and he didn't.  So, that might have been the reason for God killing him.

Also read 1 Chron  2:3 wherein it says that " The sons of Judah were: Er, Onan and Shelah:"  ........."But Judah's first born, Er was wicked in the sight of the Lord, so he killed him".   This would have been a perfect opportunity to also condemn Onan, but the writer didn't.  So, Onan's wickedness becomes questionable.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2008 - 1:34AM #4
lil_lamb
catechism 2352: By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the    genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium    of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense    of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that    masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action."[137] "The    deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of    marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose." For here sexual pleasure    is sought outside of "the sexual relationship which is demanded by the    moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human    procreation in the context of true love is achieved."[138]

To form an equitable judgment about the subjects' moral responsibility and    to guide pastoral action, one must take into account the affective    immaturity, force of acquired habit, conditions of anxiety, or other    psychological or social factors that lessen or even extenuate moral    culpability.

with that said, no reason to be embarrassed. pretty much the whole human race is going down in that boat. there's no on-off switch for the sexual impulse. you can relax about that; that's the way it is.

and indeed, confession would be helpful. make peace with how things are so you can be free. it's really the only way. and that's what chastity is, the freedom to be happy -- being comfortable doing when the time is right and being comfortable with not doing when the time isn't.

and heck, you know, if you can only be a little more free and comfortable... don't knock it. that's no small thing. st. augustine was completely whacked after all; he didn't make that much progress -- just ask the eastern orthodox half of the church. haha.

no worries.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2008 - 4:44PM #5
Seek&UShallFind

marie2008 wrote:

i am female and i ws wondering  it is a bit embarrsing  but  if you are married and  your husband is ill,is it considered  a sin if you  self pleasure.. i wont go in to detail  ,  he has been sick so it has beena while ,it isnt somthing   i do  all the time  it just was once in a while in  circumstances like this i do hope some one can help im  very embarrsed,  i hope some one can help me on this and what the church says.....thank you  marie2008

No.
But you might go blind if you do it too much.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook