Switch to Forum Live View Wanting to Know More...
7 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2008 - 11:21PM #1
Curious4184
Are these statements from http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A855227, true?

“In the United States, Adventists are recognized as conscientious objectors by the military, and therefore, when drafted, do not serve as soldiers, because of their beliefs against killing.”

“A visitor to an Adventist church may sometimes hear a speaker stating that the more one contributes to the Church, the more s/he will be blessed by the Lord; it should be noted that this is only a personal opinion and is not supported by the Bible or the Church itself.”

“Both men and women may be pastors, and are allowed to marry. Many prefer their church members to address them by their first name.”

What do YOU think about who Michael the Archangel is?

And finally:

What do YOU think about abortion/remarriage after a divorce?  (since bbc.com says the SDA Church has no real position) 

May the Spirit guide you today as you journey in God’s name.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2008 - 7:38PM #2
sincerly

Curious4184 wrote:

Are these statements from http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A855227, true?

(1)“In the United States, Adventists are recognized as conscientious objectors by the military, and therefore, when drafted, do not serve as soldiers, because of their beliefs against killing.”

(2)“A visitor to an Adventist church may sometimes hear a speaker stating that the more one contributes to the Church, the more s/he will be blessed by the Lord; it should be noted that this is only a personal opinion and is not supported by the Bible or the Church itself.”

(3)“Both men and women may be pastors, and are allowed to marry. Many prefer their church members to address them by their first name.”

(4)What do YOU think about who Michael the Archangel is?

And finally:

(5)What do YOU think about abortion/remarriage after a divorce? (since bbc.com says the SDA Church has no real position)

May the Spirit guide you today as you journey in God’s name.

Curious, I'll give the short answers since the guidelines say one topic per thread so that all will not confused later with multiple topics on the one thread.
Any that you wish to be answered more fully---- start a new thread with that topic and the questions concerning it. Agreeable?
I will number your Questions so that one knows which answer goes to which question.

(1) SDA's are Co's and do serve in the military when drafted---We are placed in positions where we do not have to carry a gun. I served as a "medic/corpsman."-----in an evacuation hospital. Many were medics with the front-line aiding the wounded.

(2)Tithing and free will offerings are supported by the scriptures and is a recognized God approved way to support the ministry of the Church in all phases of its promotion of the "Gospel unto all the world".

(3) As far as I am aware, there are no Women Pastors of the Church. There are ordained "local elders" who are women . And all are allowed to marry . As far as how one wants to be addressed---I haven't ever heard one say address me by my first name. Nor have I thought that I should.------even with a close relationship to the Pastor.

(4) The word "trinity" is not found in the Bible, but there are scriptural verses which all point to that fact. SADA'S see in the verses which are in question to be ample evidence to believe the association just as the "Trinity".

(5) Abortion is a personal decision. The Church does have guidelines for the various "reason for such".And in those cases where the woman's life in in danger, Rape , etc. the church neither condones nor condemns.----It is an issue between the woman and God.----Who are we to judge another.
However, when the act is as a means to "contraception", there is more of a issue involved.
There will be "murders" in the new earth.

Divorce has one the reasons given in the scriptures. Adultery-----The innocent party can obtain a divorce and remarry.
Other reasons, The parties are not free to marry until the death of the spouse or the spouse has remarried(or Adultery).This is the position of the church.

Now let's put that all in correct perspective. "ALL SIN" is forgiven when confession, repentance and a rebirth takes place------God Forgives.

That Thief's sordid life was all forgiven on the Cross. Therefore, as Jesus had said, "Go and sin no more". When do we( or any of the persons above) come and be broken upon the Cross?? Will God not forgive the "submitting, confessing and repentant "sinner"?

Courious to get a handle on OUR FUNDAMENTAL BELIEFS GO HERE:
http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/fundamental/index.html

Peace,   Sincerly.      As long as sin is practiced, one will search for a means to validate the continuing therein. ANON

The greatest want of the world is the want of men--men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.---- ANON  (Ellen G. White. 1882)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2008 - 9:21PM #3
Takingthelongway
One correction. There are several women pastors in the Adventist church, most of them on the West coast, and many of them are head pastors. These women can be commissioned as pastors but not ordained because the world church voted against this about five years ago (the church in North America was for it). Though there has been at least one instance of a local church ordaining their female pastor anyways. Needless to say there's a lot of debate on the issue.

I for one think not ordaining women who are doing the same work is outright discrimination and that discouraging women from full-time pastoral ministry is like fighting with one hand tied behind our backs. But at least we are making progress and we will get there.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2008 - 1:08AM #4
Christ07
[QUOTE=Takingthelongway;383399]One correction. There are several women pastors in the Adventist church, most of them on the West coast, and many of them are head pastors. These women can be commissioned as pastors but not ordained because the world church voted against this about five years ago (the church in North America was for it). Though there has been at least one instance of a local church ordaining their female pastor anyways. Needless to say there's a lot of debate on the issue.

I for one think not ordaining women who are doing the same work is outright discrimination and that discouraging women from full-time pastoral ministry is like fighting with one hand tied behind our backs. But at least we are making progress and we will get there.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Need more characters.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook