Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Not sure I can call myself Christian. . . . .
7 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2008 - 1:50PM #21
ClearGreen
[QUOTE=sacrificialgoddess;361192]Well, my gods love me.  They have told me so, in person.  Perhaps you have just been asking the wrong gods.     ;)[/QUOTE]

Yes, . . . . . I have pondered along these lines before.  That silly "those are demons who are deceiving you" brainwashing is a bit of a roadblock in attempt at connecting with my Divine.  Of course, I would hope that, if my search is true/noble/pure, I would hope that any benevolent Diety would  be able to press through the attempts of any malevolent entity. 

So, sacrificialgoddess, do you have both "male" and "female" dieties?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2008 - 9:33PM #22
Sacrificialgoddess

ClearGreen wrote:

Yes, . . . . . I have pondered along these lines before.  That silly "those are demons who are deceiving you" brainwashing is a bit of a roadblock in attempt at connecting with my Divine.  Of course, I would hope that, if my search is true/noble/pure, I would hope that any benevolent Diety would  be able to press through the attempts of any malevolent entity. 

So, sacrificialgoddess, do you have both "male" and "female" dieties?

Yep, different gods for different times.  There are also gods who will have nothing to do with me.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2008 - 10:18PM #23
BlackWingBlueSky
[QUOTE=ClearGreen;362194]Now, when you say (when it happens) that I need to "believe it", . . . . . . I think this is where I'm having my struggles with the religion I've been in.  Belief without anything sensing.  Just the words of a pastor, the words in a book, things of the "faith" that can be heard or seen, AS the work of men (pastor, writers of religious texts), but nothing that I can label as "the supernatural". 

Unless it breaks an oath, can you (or anyone else) tell me of an "encounter" with your divine that you KNOW, without a question, happened to you?  Do you have "encounters" that you would consider personal to you, and not just (as I have experienced with 'prayer'), you believing you are communing with the divine, but are just by yourself, ultimately?[/QUOTE]

Have you read Karen Armstrong's "A History of God"?  More accurately a history of the belief in God, it's a fascinating book.  One thing Armstrong brings up is that before the 18th century Westerners didn't take religious beliefs as literally as they do today, but were perfectly comfortable with deity being metaphorical and imaginary (imaginary in the sense that the imagination was a god-given faculty for perceiving something far beyond human grasp). 

Then science, with its emphasis on literal and provable truths, started making its impact on Western thought and metaphorical truths got downgraded to mere stories or worse yet, lies.  In Armstrong's opinion, this caused a huge problem in Western religions and led to the birth of modern atheism.

About the "encounter" question, I've had something happen that others have told me was an encounter with the divine tho I think of it as just something odd that happened once.  It's always stuck with me, and is the source of my screenname.  When I was about 10 or so, I was visiting some family friends, and standing around outside looking up at the sky.  It was a particularly beautiful shade of clear, bright blue and while I was looking up at it a crow flew very close past my face.  That was when the odd thing happened -- time (or at least my perception of it) stopped.  Frozen in front of my eyes was the spread, glossy black wing of the crow with triangles of that bright blue sky showing between the feathers.  It seemed to me I was able to look at it long enough to notice very small details about the wing before time started up again, and the crow was gone.

Apparently this isn't that unusual an experience, I've read of others having it (one woman even felt as if she were levitating before her perception of time started up again) but there it is. 

Sandra
Sandy

I've seen normal, and I'm not impressed.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2008 - 10:25PM #24
BlackWingBlueSky
[QUOTE=One_World;356215]I think your question about pagan atheist / atheist pagan is going to be answered along those same lines...funny considered in this country atheism and Christianity are considered extreme opposites. Based on your description, I think you're just fine sticking with secular humanist. You could add: secular humanist with a love of nature. That's awesome, by the way. A love and reverance for nature, whatever the 'religious' label, is one that I wholeheartedly share.[/QUOTE]

I remember when I was in school one of my teachers said something about extreme opposites always meeting eventually in the middle.  Maybe this is a demonstration of that! 

One of the regulars on the Pantheist board posted some links that I've been following and I'm finding naturalistic pantheist a very snug fit with my personal philosophy and beliefs about the universe.  Altho, of course, secular humanist still applies too.

Sandra
Sandy

I've seen normal, and I'm not impressed.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2008 - 10:15AM #25
ClearGreen
That is an interesting experience you had, BlackWingBlueSky.  It WOULD be rather sureal.  Thanks for sharing.  :-)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2008 - 10:16AM #26
ClearGreen
BlackWingBlueSky, that WOULD be a rather sureal experience.  Very interesting, . . . . . and I appreciate you sharing it.  :-)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 24, 2008 - 6:39PM #27
CLHazz
This off topic, but I didn't know where else to go, so here goes, I went to a mass with my friend for a memorial for a relative that passed 8 years ago and just like last time I stepped inside a church I felt absolutely nothing, could only say a few phrases,  and yes out of politeness I went up for the bread, did the kneeling thing. I am taking this as a test to see if the church does anything for me, it clearly didn't and that went for any Christian denomination. So yeah Paganism is definitely the right fit, I just have to create a routine to actively begin practicing, quietly, covertly.  And that's what happened
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook