Switch to Forum Live View 2 cor 5:10 and phil 1:24
6 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2008 - 5:28PM #1
Zorgblar
What is the link between 2 cor 5:10 and phil 1:24?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2009 - 9:11PM #2
Newtonian
Zorgblar - Sorry for the delay in responding.

(2 Corinthians 5:10) . . .For we must all be made manifest before the judgment seat of the Christ, that each one may get his award for the things done through the body, according to the things he has practiced, whether it is good or vile.

(Philippians 1:21-26) . . .For in my case to live is Christ, and to die, gain. 22 Now if it be to live on in the flesh, this is a fruitage of my work—and yet which thing to select I do not make known. 23 I am under pressure from these two things; but what I do desire is the releasing and the being with Christ, for this, to be sure, is far better. 24 However, for me to remain in the flesh is more necessary on YOUR account. 25 So, being confident of this, I know I shall remain and shall abide with all of YOU for YOUR advancement and the joy that belongs to [YOUR] faith, 26 so that YOUR exultation may overflow in Christ Jesus by reason of me through my presence again with YOU.

Paul was confident of his “return” (anulusai - release/return) as he was practicing good things - that is essentially the link.

Here is a post from another thread I saved:

1.  Releasing depart return analusai #360 Phil 1 23

Remember, this word is found only twice in the Bible - Phil.1:23 & Luke 12:36

Translation of Philippians 1:23

INT translates analusai “to be loosing up.”

Diaglott reads in the main text:

I am indeed, hard pressed by the two things;-- (I have an earnest desire for the returning, and being with Christ, since it is very much to be preferred;)-- - Phil.1:23 - Diag

Diag.Int translates analusai: “to be loosed again”

Diaglott is clearly translating this verse to be in harmony with Paul’s other writings and the internal harmony of the Bible.

Analusai is translated “depart” in AV and other translations in Phil.1:23.

As noted in our appendix, this word is rare in Scripture.  It is word # 360.

AV translates it two ways: “depart, return”

In Luke 12:36 AV translates analuse: “return.”

Some context helps:

(Luke 12:35-40) . . .“Let YOUR loins be girded and YOUR lamps be burning, 36 and YOU yourselves be like men waiting for their master when he returns from the marriage, so that at his arriving and knocking they may at once open to him. 37 Happy are those slaves whom the master on arriving finds watching! Truly I say to YOU, He will gird himself and make them recline at the table and will come alongside and minister to them. 38 And if he arrives in the second watch, even if in the third, and finds them thus, happy are they! 39 But know this, that if the householder had known at what hour the thief would come, he would have kept watching and not have let his house be broken into. 40 YOU also, keep ready, because at an hour that YOU do not think likely the Son of man is coming.” - NW

Clearly this analuse is at Christ’s presence (parousia) [compare Christ’s second coming] - we believe Phil.1:23 refers to the same time period in harmony with Luke 12:36 and many other Scriptures.

(4)INT translates this (NW=main text = returns; ft: or breaks away; departs) “he might loosen up”
“when he shall return” - Yo
“And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will RETURN from the wedding” - AV
“for your Lord’s return from the wedding feast.” - LB
“like men who wait to welcome their lord and master on  his return from the wedding-feast” - Ph
“and be like men who are waiting for their master to come home from the marriage feast,” - RS
“like servants who are waiting for their master to come back from a wedding feast” - TEV
“like men waiting for their master to return from a wedding banquet,” - NIV
“Be like men waiting for their master to return from the wedding feast” - Je
“Be like men who wait for their master’s return from a wedding party” - NEB
“when he returns” “[pote analuse] - Marshall Int.
“whenever he shall return” Berry Int
“analuse - he may return” Berry footnote from Tr., A.
“when he returns” HGEI Int.

I guess it would have been easier to simply say most translations render analuse as return(s).(NAB also)

The related word analuseos (#359) is found only once in the Bible, at 2 Timothy 4:6

(2 Timothy 4:6-8) 6 For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the due time for  my releasing is imminent. 7 I have fought the fine fight, I have run the course to the finish, I have observed the faith. 8 From this time on there is reserved for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will give me as a reward in that day, yet not only to me, but also to all those who have loved his manifestation. - NW

Note the analuse (departure until the return) relates to the “reward in that day” - compare:

(John 11:24) . . .Martha said to him: “I know he will rise in the resurrection on the last day.”

NW renders analuse here as “releasing”

AV: “departure” (also Ph, RS; NIV;NEB; Mar.Int; HGEI INT)
TEV: “leave”
Je: “be gone”
Diag (&INT) - “my dissolution” - Ft. from Alexandrian Manuscript
Berry INT- “of my release” - “analuseos mou”  - L., T., Tr.
HGEI - “release” (also Yo)

Conclusion: analuse refers to the releasing by death from life as a fleshly soul and also to returning by resurrection to life as an immortal spirit.

From the NW appendix:
“5D The Releasing to Be With Christ
Php 1:23—“releasing.” Gr., a·na·ly´sai; Lat., dis·sol´vi
The verb a·na·ly´sai is used as a verbal noun here. It occurs only once more in the Christian Greek Scriptures, in Lu 12:36, where it refers to Christ’s return. The related noun a·na´ly·sis occurs once, in 2Ti 4:6, where the apostle says: “The due time for my releasing is imminent.” In Lu 12:36 we have rendered the verb “returns” because it refers to the breaking away and departing of the servants’ master from the wedding feast, so dissolving the feast. But here in Php 1:23 we have not rendered the verb as “returning” or “departing” but as “releasing.” The reason is that the word may convey two thoughts: the apostle’s own releasing to be with Christ at his return and the Lord’s releasing of himself from heavenly restraints to return as he promised.
In no way is the apostle here saying that immediately at his death he would be changed into a spirit to be with Christ forever. Such getting to be with Christ the Lord will first be possible at Christ’s return, when the dead in Christ will rise first, according to the apostle’s own inspired statement in 1Th 4:15-17. It is to this return of Christ and the apostle’s releasing to be always with the Lord that Paul refers in Php 1:23. He says there that two things are immediately possible for him, namely, (1) to live on in the flesh and (2) to die. Because of the circumstances to be considered, he expressed himself as being under pressure from these two things, not making known which thing he would select. Then he presents a third thing, which he really desires. There is no question about his desire for this thing as preferable, namely, “the releasing,” for it means his being with Christ.
Therefore, the expression to a·na·ly´sai, “the releasing,” cannot be applied to the apostle’s death as a human creature and his departing from this life. It must refer to the events at the time of Christ’s return and presence (see App 5B) and the rising of all those dead in Christ to be with him forever.”
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook