7 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2008 - 3:35PM #1
Melissa1
Hello
This is my first post in beliefnet .As I am gnostic I just thought I'd come in here and say hello.I also believe in the Christ Consciousness so I suppose I could be labeled a gnostic christian . Personaly I really don't like labels because I feel there are so many ways to our Creator that there really isn't  only one true way  to God .
I'm looking forward to meeting new friends in here and am very pleased to have found my way to this community.
Blessings

Melissa1
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2008 - 11:02AM #2
summitup2
Hi,
I am new to Beliefnet and was truly thrilled to discover this site!!  I have been studying the Gnostic way of life for well over a year.  Most everything I've read is like a "green light" within me, in my spirit.  The only thing I'm really "stuck" on right now is the study of the existence of a "Mother Goddess".  I've searched high and low for anything written about her and her part in the creation of things.  I've yet to find any information on Her.  I am one who needs to have the "Proof of the pudding" so to speak.  I was raised in an evangelical background with the teachings of a very stern, punishing God the Father.  No offense intended to others of this belief.  I found it far too confining and controlling for me and dared to be brave enough to open my mind up to more possibilities than "hell fire and damnation".  The Gnostic belife only validated how I thought and felt throughout my life.  If anyone has any suggested readings or thoughts to share about the "Mother Goddess", I would greatly appreciate your giving me a heads up on the subject.  I'm "stuck" at this point and want to move on.  Thank you for supplying this forum.  I too found it puzzling as to why the Gnostic belief was not listed along with the others only under "Others". 
Blessings to all,
Shari K.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 9:03AM #3
revtroy
Sophia is the only mother figure in Gnostic accounts of creation. (Though God is sometimes referred to as the divine Mother-Father.) Sophia is the Aeon, or emanation of God, who falls into the chaos and gives birth to the demiurge. Then later intervenes to give humanity souls/spirits/sparks of the divine.

I am unaware of any other figure in the Gnostic tradition that might loosely fit the descriptor of "mother goddess."
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook