6 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2008 - 11:07PM #1
pistonpriest
I visited the SDA Wikipedia site and under the heading dealing with Church Hierarchy and Democracy, it said: "...Every baptized Adventist is a member of a local church and has voting powers within that church."

I was just wondering what type of things the members were expected to vote upon.

Thanks.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 28, 2008 - 6:44PM #2
sincerly

pistonpriest wrote:

I visited the SDA Wikipedia site and under the heading dealing with Church Hierarchy and Democracy, it said: "...Every baptized Adventist is a member of a local church and has voting powers within that church."

I was just wondering what type of things the members were expected to vote upon.

Thanks.

Piston, from the local church a nominating committee is selected from the general congregation and they have the responsibility to bring before the Church the names of persons for next years church officers. These are voted on as individuals to fill those offices.
The congregation as a whole votes in, the "business of the church", in new members and displenary action as needed.  Etc.----------this is very brief.

Peace,   Sincerly.      As long as sin is practiced, one will search for a means to validate the continuing therein. ANON

The greatest want of the world is the want of men--men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.---- ANON  (Ellen G. White. 1882)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2008 - 12:42PM #3
Discerner
Piston - An SDA Church elects officers to the various duties and committees established for the operation of the church, which was explained by Sincerly. A Church Board is established, which consists of the heads of the various committees, the church elders and the church pastor. They conduct the business of the church through the vote, i.e., expenditure of funds for various projects that are not incorporated into the church budget. Such expenditures may include funds for the support of evangelical outreach programs, seminars, maintenance of the church and church property, literature, books, etc., that are related to the function and operation of the church and its mission. It is important to understand how a member's tithe is distributed, for the church receives about 40%, with the remaining being used by the local Conference and the General Conference for the world-wide support of the church. Offerings most generally are used for the operation of the church, while special offerings go to whatever project or operation that is designated by the giver. In a nutshell, that sums up the use of the vote in the church. The church, as a whole, also votes on the acceptance of new members and the transfer of members from their church to another church, or from another church to their church. Certain programs or expenditures must be voted upon by the entire church membership. A good example is to expend funds to enlarge, or add on, to the existing church structure, which would involve a large expenditure of funds.

God bless!
Discerner
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook