Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
6 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2008 - 5:39PM #1
Fallengrace504
Hey there everyone.
I am a 16 year old girl and I have just recently in the past few months taken up the intrest in Wicca. I have been looking for some books and websites on Wicca, but with all this new information I can't wrap my head around it. I have read some things that state you must dedicate your self to practiceing for a year and a day. But when I read in yoru core beliefs I don't see aything about it, or on the other threads I have been reading. If someone could just clear that up for me I think I will be good for right now.
~Ash

Oh and if there are a few H's missing I am sorry. My keyboard it messing up.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2008 - 7:57PM #2
TheWhiteHart
[QUOTE=Fallengrace504;744382]Hey there everyone.
I am a 16 year old girl and I have just recently in the past few months taken up the intrest in Wicca. I have been looking for some books and websites on Wicca, but with all this new information I can't wrap my head around it. I have read some things that state you must dedicate your self to practiceing for a year and a day. But when I read in yoru core beliefs I don't see aything about it, or on the other threads I have been reading. If someone could just clear that up for me I think I will be good for right now.
~Ash

Oh and if there are a few H's missing I am sorry. My keyboard it messing up.[/QUOTE]

Merry meet, Fallen.

Welcome to the Wicca boards. I hope that you enjoy poking around at the threads here. As you are a minor, you may have a few stumbling blocks until you are of legal age. Still, there is much you can do and study.

As for your current question, the standard length of time for teaching someone is a year and a day. This can vary depending on the teacher and the student. It is not listed in the core beliefs because it is not a 'belief' per se, but a tradition.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2008 - 8:01PM #3
Fallengrace504
[QUOTE=TheWhiteHart;744730]Merry meet, Fallen.

Welcome to the Wicca boards. I hope that you enjoy poking around at the threads here. As you are a minor, you may have a few stumbling blocks until you are of legal age. Still, there is much you can do and study.

As for your current question, the standard length of time for teaching someone is a year and a day. This can vary depending on the teacher and the student. It is not listed in the core beliefs because it is not a 'belief' per se, but a tradition.[/QUOTE]

That is what I was thinking after I posted this and started reading some more. Do you know of any good books to read on Wicca? With me being inexperienced it is kind of hard to sort out all the bull that people put out sometimes.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2008 - 5:58PM #4
Bugscuttle
Welcome Fallen!

I'm new here myself, and everyone has made me very welcome.  I started by reading  Raymond Buckland and DJ Conway, and am now reading Raven Grimassi and Scott Cunningham.  They are all very prolific writers and can be found at most Borders or B&Ns.
      Merry meet and Blessed Be!
           Joey
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2008 - 5:58PM #5
Bugscuttle
Welcome Fallen!

I'm new here myself, and everyone has made me very welcome.  I started by reading  Raymond Buckland and DJ Conway, and am now reading Raven Grimassi and Scott Cunningham.  They are all very prolific writers and can be found at most Borders or B&Ns.
      Merry meet and Blessed Be!
           Joey
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2008 - 9:26PM #6
TheWhiteHart
Bugs, you just made me wince. LOL!

My own book suggestions would be:

The Meaning of Witchcraft - Gerald Gardner
The Witchs Bible - Janet and Stewart Farrar
Anything by Doreen Valiente
Also the Pagan Way books by Ed Fitch, notably, Grimoire of Shadows

There are other books I could recommend as well, but this would be a good start.

That said, you will not find the Wiccan Mysteries in books. It is a religion of experience, and one learns by doing.

Among the things you can /do/ are this:

Meditate
Keep a journal in which you put your meditation notes, along with anything else that seems important to you regarding your beliefs. Maybe a list of what you belief, and why, and what you do not believe, and why.
Study nature. Choose a plot of land and watch it for a year, observe the seasons and what changes they bring to it. (another thing to record in the journal)
Learn about mythology
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2008 - 9:28PM #7
Sacrificialgoddess
I have to admit I choked on the Conway.  Not that I love all the other authors that Bugs mentioned, but Conway does make me choke. ;)
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2008 - 2:08PM #8
itty
I did too, SG. I would recommend The Triumph of the Moon by Ronald Hutton as a starter to get a historical perspective on Wicca. Starter being key. There are other authors out there who also have good information.

Frankly I don't consider Grimassi to be a Wiccan author. He has developed his own tradition which he has labeled Strega. It has a, IME, Wiccanesque framework but it isn't Wiccan.

I do like Fitch. Also I want to recommend Pauline Campenelli but I probably just mangled the spelling. The book title I am referring to is: The Wheel of the Year: Living the Magikal Life. While its focus isn't on Wicca I enjoyed the book and got some real good out of it.

Authors I stay far away from are Conway, McCoy and Silver Ravenwolf. My opinion is that none of the above give accurate information with respect to the history and mythology of Wicca. MY opinion! I think one can find out information in those author's works but in a reverse way. I mean that I think their books have much misinformation, are too broad a brush and recite Wiccan mythology as Wiccan history. In short one can also learn by reading things that aren't good. But it is a reader beware sort of thing. Please note as I say this again. THIS is MY opinion!

There was a thread in the Wicca boards that had some really good reading lists. I can't even begin to figure out how to get the link here. If someone else come to my assistance with that it would be gratefully and humbly appreciated.

Read books on anthropology, archaeology, mythology and fairy tales. Ask questions here and elsewhere in the Wicca boards. Be prepared to be challenged about what you believe and why. Enjoy your journey and remember to put on your dancin' shoes and boogie! There is something sacred in joy.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2008 - 5:36PM #9
TheWhiteHart
Triumph of the Moon is definately on the do read list. And I agree on the Campanelli's books. I have a few of them, and they  are wonderful for ideas.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 11, 2008 - 11:53AM #10
itty
Thnks WhiteHart.

I have doing so on line reading and came across an article, which was taken from a lecture, it was an interesting read. I will post the link here and ask if you can comment about the veracity of it. I don't ask you to viloate any oaths but would like a general impression.

Here is the link.

http://www.wiccanway.net/history.html

I have put this here because I think that having a modicum of understanding of the tangled threads from which modern Wicca arose can be enlightening for a person new to the religion.

Thanks again,
itty
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook