6 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2008 - 12:41PM #1
FSU_08
I come from a Christian background and am trying to understand all religions better. I've been working with a group learning about world religions and the concept of death came up in discussing Hindus and the cycle of rebirth. Could someone explain the views of death in the Hindu religion? Especially, how do they view suicide or homocide? I didn't feel I had enough knowledge to answer this correctly and wanted to hear from others with more experience. Thank you!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2008 - 2:50AM #2
Kavitha
Hi FSU_08,

From what I know, Hindus know that death is to be the soul's detaching itself from the physical body and continuing on in the subtle body (sukshma sharira) with the same desires, aspirations and occupations as when it lived in a physical body. We believe that the physical body will definitely die someday,but the soul lives forever.

Hinduism does not approve suicide. Hindus believe that human life is very precious, which is attainted after after hundreds and thousands of births and provides an unique opportunity to each individual to make a quantum jump into higher planes of existence or attain immortality.

You can read up on "Souls Journey After Death" on http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/Kar … on/id/9751

Regards,
Kavitha
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2008 - 11:30PM #3
deodatta
First off all Hinduism says "The soul is immortal.Death is a process of shedding the old rags of clothes(Body) to attain a new Body(dress). The rebirth to any soul depends upon its Good or bad Karmas in the previous birth.The sole has to suffer or get dividints according to the dids in the previous birth." This is decided by the God Almity . The mode of death is also decided by the god. So weather it is a suicide or Homicide, it is the fate that soul is destined to due to it's previous deeds.Any rebirth is a means of sufferring and once your account of sins is over then you reach to a stage of purity and then there is no rebirth.\you achieve "BRAHMA LOK"that means the level of the 7th Swarga. Although Hinduism does not support suicide or homicide as such, the explanation to these acts is as above. This is clearly stated in Bhagwat Geeta when Lord Krishna tells Arjuna that I am the Creator, I am the Nurturer and I am the destroyer.You are just a means to do my job, which is also decided by me.Those who die at my hands will be freed from the rebirth as they become one with me. I think this should be sufficient to understand and explain.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook