Switch to Forum Live View Derivism - A New Understanding in a New Age
7 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2008 - 9:50PM #1
Rad
About an hour ago, I came across a 'What religion are you' web site that promised to pidgeonhole your religious philosophy after you answered about 20 questions.

At the end, it said that I most closely fit with Neo-Paganism. At the bottom of the page was a link to www.beliefnet.com, thus my discovery and participation in this web site.

After more than 40 years of research, observation, contemplation, and agonizingly infrequent epiphanies, I finally started putting it all together in the form of a web site (www.derivism.com). The philosophy is substantially complete, but the web site is a very new work-in-progress.

While there are a couple of base conceptual platforms that Paganism (broadly defined) vaguely shares with the truth of Dervisim, I don't see any further commonalities, so the conclusion is not obvious to me. If anyone is interested, I'd love to hear some insight as to why anyone would think that Paganism is similar to Derivism in any but broadest of examinations.

Thanks for allowing me to contribute.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2008 - 9:50PM #2
Rad
About an hour ago, I came across a 'What religion are you' web site that promised to pidgeonhole your religious philosophy after you answered about 20 questions.

At the end, it said that I most closely fit with Neo-Paganism. At the bottom of the page was a link to www.beliefnet.com, thus my discovery and participation in this web site.

After more than 40 years of research, observation, contemplation, and agonizingly infrequent epiphanies, I finally started putting it all together in the form of a web site (www.derivism.com). The philosophy is substantially complete, but the web site is a very new work-in-progress.

While there are a couple of base conceptual platforms that Paganism (broadly defined) vaguely shares with the truth of Dervisim, I don't see any further commonalities, so the conclusion is not obvious to me. If anyone is interested, I'd love to hear some insight as to why anyone would think that Paganism is similar to Derivism in any but broadest of examinations.

Thanks for allowing me to contribute.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2008 - 11:47AM #3
Dromahair
The Belief-o-matic Quiz (as we often have to tell folks) is a poorly designed little toy that beliefnet uses to advertise it's site.  It's effective at getting people here but inaccurate in that it tends to toss everyone who answers specific questions with a liberal mindset into the same categories (usually Neo-Pagan and Liberal Quaker).

As for "Derivism," it does nothing for me (and it's nothing I haven't see before) but I can see where some people here might be interested in what you have to say.  Paganism (with or without the Neo attached) is a wide ranging field encompassing many different belief systems.  We've got everything from hard-polytheists like myself to pantheists (more your cup of tea) roaming these halls.  So welcome and do have a look around.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2008 - 3:34PM #4
CreakyHedgewitch
Dromahair addressed my concern about using the Belief-O-Matic as anything more than a vague starting point for further research.

Your website is very interesting reading but I would venture that outside of a few individuals who identify as Neo-/Pagans, there are virtually no real similarities to Derivism at all.

Neo-/Paganism is almost universally anthropomorphic and usually polytheist although there are exceptions. The exceptions occur because Neo-/Paganism is not a singular religion but that which individuals self-identify with and that each self-define. Being anthropomorphic and polytheist however is not considered to be incompatible with the belief that human beings cannot fully comprehend the universe. I commonly use the analogy when teaching of the human experience being like living within a spiritual house. The Divine encompasses both what is outside and inside the house. It is the anthropomorphic windows of our faiths that enable us as human beings to see what we can comprehend outside. Without a perspective on the universe that reflects our humanity, it can be argued that universal concepts may become intellectual or academic exercises and the latter may perhaps become what prevents us from seeing the larger picture. Nor does the multiple personification of the Divine necessarily negate the belief that the Divine is everywhere or that the Divine is a verb. These are both common beliefs expressed within the framework of polytheism. Negation of the human experience is also a major difference, I’m afraid. Validation within Neo-/Paganism is almost universally experiential and it is therefore the individual Neo-/Pagan’s human relationship to the Divine that forms the foundation of his or her spirituality. Across the spectrum of Neo-/Paganism it is also commonly believed that being human is a joyful privilege, a gift, a deliberate choice rather than an experience to be dismissed as unimportant.   

Wisdom walks reflect the diversity and the vast range of human comprehension of the Divine and you are clearly on such a path. Your definitions of wisdom and how to walk such a path however do not seem to be compatible with the many wisdom walks that usually are identified as being Neo-/Pagan.

C.H.
No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2008 - 7:40AM #5
Rad
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. The 'Belief-O-Matic' quiz was effective, in my case, as what it is probably really designed to do: Get new people to the site.

I appreciate your overview of Neo-Paganism, and I whole-heartedly agree that it shares little with Derivism. Also, I appreciate your open approach to the platform upon which Derivism rests. Thanks for your input.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2008 - 10:56AM #6
CreakyHedgewitch
Rad,

You are welcome.

C.H.
No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook