Switch to Forum Live View Question about Asatru
7 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2007 - 9:53PM #1
chemjorn
Hello, I am someone who is seriously considering whether converting to Asatru would be good for me. Do I have to do something special to consider converting? I could not find an answer via google. I am also interested in studying Hellenism a litle deeper, but I do not believe Hellenism is for me, though I would like more information on Uranus, mainly for curiousity. Does anyone actually respond on this welcome center?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2007 - 10:42PM #2
John_T_Mainer
[QUOTE=chemjorn;173339]Hello, I am someone who is seriously considering whether converting to Asatru would be good for me. Do I have to do something special to consider converting? I could not find an answer via google. I am also interested in studying Hellenism a litle deeper, but I do not believe Hellenism is for me, though I would like more information on Uranus, mainly for curiousity. Does anyone actually respond on this welcome center?[/QUOTE]

I am an Asatruar so I guess I could answer you.  My sister being of a hellenic bent herself probably makes me a better choice as well.  As far as the exploration of Asatru goes, we are not like Wicca or the other magic based mystery cults.  We are a folkway.  There are a bunch of readings that can get you started upon the path, Dianna Paxton's Essencial Asatru comes to mind, but really the best way is to find a local kindred and introduce yourself.  The Edda alone make a fair guide.

I was a solo practictioner the entire time of my military service, and the gods know I grew in my understanding of Odin and myself in that time, but I didn't really connect to the other gods, or to spirits of places other than the wilds I soldiered in, until I settled to hearth and home, and practiced with others.  There really is no substitute.

Where are you from?  I'm sure if you post your intro on the Reconstructionalist Asatru/Northern Heathenry board you will find lots of good kindreds that you can speak to.  Come check us all out, listen, ask, learn if we have to teach what you would learn.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2007 - 9:53PM #3
chemjorn
Hello, I am someone who is seriously considering whether converting to Asatru would be good for me. Do I have to do something special to consider converting? I could not find an answer via google. I am also interested in studying Hellenism a litle deeper, but I do not believe Hellenism is for me, though I would like more information on Uranus, mainly for curiousity. Does anyone actually respond on this welcome center?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2007 - 10:42PM #4
John_T_Mainer
[QUOTE=chemjorn;173339]Hello, I am someone who is seriously considering whether converting to Asatru would be good for me. Do I have to do something special to consider converting? I could not find an answer via google. I am also interested in studying Hellenism a litle deeper, but I do not believe Hellenism is for me, though I would like more information on Uranus, mainly for curiousity. Does anyone actually respond on this welcome center?[/QUOTE]

I am an Asatruar so I guess I could answer you.  My sister being of a hellenic bent herself probably makes me a better choice as well.  As far as the exploration of Asatru goes, we are not like Wicca or the other magic based mystery cults.  We are a folkway.  There are a bunch of readings that can get you started upon the path, Dianna Paxton's Essencial Asatru comes to mind, but really the best way is to find a local kindred and introduce yourself.  The Edda alone make a fair guide.

I was a solo practictioner the entire time of my military service, and the gods know I grew in my understanding of Odin and myself in that time, but I didn't really connect to the other gods, or to spirits of places other than the wilds I soldiered in, until I settled to hearth and home, and practiced with others.  There really is no substitute.

Where are you from?  I'm sure if you post your intro on the Reconstructionalist Asatru/Northern Heathenry board you will find lots of good kindreds that you can speak to.  Come check us all out, listen, ask, learn if we have to teach what you would learn.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2008 - 9:20PM #5
chemjorn
Sorry it took me so long to reply. I have just been really busy lately.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook