7 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2007 - 3:46PM #1
Peekajinx
I am fairly new to paganism. I was never raised to be religious, but rather to think for myself. Of course, this meant that I went on a sort of "spiritual journey" later in life to discover what it is I truly believe. I have come to find that Paganism as a whole seems to fit my beliefs and the way I think, but I would like to see if I fit into a particular tradition and learn about the many many traditions that are out there. Unfortunately, this seems an impossible feat in itself and every time I pick up something else to read, it's never the same as something I have read before. I'm getting to the point where I feel like I have been running around in circles and haven't learned anything at all.

Where would be the best point to start in beginning to learn about the basics of paganism and it's traditions? Any help at all in regards to web sites, recommended reading, or otherwise would be very helpful. Thank You.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2007 - 4:11PM #2
Seshen
[QUOTE=Peekajinx;106090] I have come to find that Paganism as a whole seems to fit my beliefs and the way I think, but I would like to see if I fit into a particular tradition and learn about the many many traditions that are out there.

Where would be the best point to start in beginning to learn about the basics of paganism and it's traditions? Any help at all in regards to web sites, recommended reading, or otherwise would be very helpful. Thank You.[/QUOTE]

First off, paganism doesn't have "it's traditions."   Paganism is not a religion unto itself; it's an umbrella for literally hundreds of faiths and belief systems.  That's why it's different everywhere you go.

Can you tell us more specifically what it is you're looking for in a faith?  That way we can help you narrow things down.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2007 - 4:03PM #3
CreakyHedgewitch
The basics of Paganism:

1. Self-identification - you identify yourself as being Pagan

2. Self-definition - you define as an individual what being Pagan means from a broad spectrum of beliefs.

3. Experiential - the validation of your self-identification/defintion is and remains you not an external source.

4. Non-Singular- individual self-identified Pagans cannot agree on a singular definition that can be
    recognized as a shared or defined religion. 

Paganism or sometimes Neo-Paganism is also used as the term for a modern spectrum of beliefs and practices as Seshan pointed out or from within that spectrum, as an alternate name for already named modern religions (like Wicca) or as the name for small autonomous groups who agree on how they define this term or as the name for an individual's personal belief system 'as a religion'.

You can join something shared already established, (religion, tradition, group), practice something shared but as a Solitary Pagan or become an uniquely self-defined Pagan.

How are you defining at this point what Paganism is?

C.H.
No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2007 - 12:20PM #4
Ancestral
You might want to look into pantheism as well. For some it is a subset of paganism and for others it may overlap paganism, where one can be pagan and a pantheist, just like one can be a pagan and a polytheist.

I'm a naturalistic pantheist which means that "I believe in God/dess but spell it N-A-T-U-R-E." It is sort of like a nontheistic "pagan". It's paganism for the 21st century and is even more earth-centered than "mainstream" paganism which focuses on magic. It is very eco-centered and Green in focus.

Knowing of the interdependence of nature (food cycle, etc.) as well as the interdependence of actions (ancestors' past actions affect my current circumstances and my actions will affect the circumstances of my descendents) fills me with a sense of gratefulness which I demonstrate both through my actions as well as concrete actions of respect and honor.

We celebrate the solstices and equinoxes. Some of us even do rituals - for myself I have developed offeratory rituals to honor Nature and the ancestors, Sacred Meal ritual, and chanting and meditation practices. These are based on my exposure to various pagan and heathen traditions. These rituals are readily available in the files section of the public pantheist discussion groups on Yahoo.

In any case for those interested, come check out some of the resources over at the Pantheist Forum on Beliefnet as well.

http://community.beliefnet.com/forum...play.php?f=184

You can learn more about pantheism at the links listed below:

http://www.pantheist.net

http://www.pantheism.net
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook