Switch to Forum Live View A very different Experience
6 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2008 - 9:46PM #1
metachosis
I attended a UU fellowship today. I had a very different experience than I had at my local UU church. I don't really understand the difference between fellowship and church.

Anyway, this UU fellowship is probably a little bigger than the church I attended. I was very impressed with how friendly the people were. I also get the sense that there is more structure. I didn't have any problem finding out answers to simple questions. I also found their website very easy to navigate.

I enjoyed the music. It was a bit upbeat. I also like the fact that this fellowship has an active CUUPS group. They also have a tai chi group and supper groups.

Surprisingly, I ran into some folks who also quit going to my old church. I was glad to see them and they seem very happy there. 

The only issue is gas, but perhaps i can carpool with some folks who live near me.

The one difference between this fellowship and my previous church is that there seems to be more diversity. They have liberal Bible studies, meditation groups, and pagen groups. I think this fellowship offers a lot of opportunities to study different religions. I also noticed that it is easier to get information about these groups.  I also noticed they have a lot more activities like hiking and weekend trips. This fellowship also has support groups and what really impressed me is they have a really neat thrift store. I also like building. I personally like wooden pews. I just like the smell of wood. Oh yeah, and they have a really cool library.

At any rate, I just wanted to say that I have had a very positive experience at a UU fellowship and intend to go again. The only problem is gas! I wish it wasn't an hour away!  I already know some folks there, so i dont' feel like a total stranger. And these are people I was happy to see!  I was invited to come again. I definitely will. Maybe I will take the new Uu class that is offered there.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2008 - 10:16PM #2
One_World
Do you mean a different experience as in the UU church being different? Or have you had bad experiences with UU before?

Regardless, your experience yesterday sounds great! It must be a good feeling to find a positive community that has so much going right in its favor!

I've never been to a UU service, but I hope the one closest to me (25 min or so) is like the one you attended.

Thanks for the review!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars ~ Oscar Wilde
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2008 - 10:18PM #3
One_World
*Sigh* If only I'd read even the topic lines of a page of posts in a forum before asking a stupid question. I'm sorry to hear that your previous experience was as negative as it was...that makes the new one even better for you!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars ~ Oscar Wilde
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2008 - 6:36PM #4
metachosis
Thanks One World.

I've learned not to make a judgement about a group of people based on one church experience. I think my former church which is about ten minutes from me is just going through a lot of growing pains now. Things may be different in the future. I've seen so many churches change so much. And new churches are formed.

I have joined the CLF. It's an online church. Clf.uua.org.  I am enjoying the forum a lot. And i'm learning a lot here.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2008 - 2:08PM #5
DotNotInOz
Churches definitely can change. When we first moved to this city, I wasn't that impressed with the UU church. Ten years later, most of the people I found offputting have either moved away or quit the church, so now it's a reasonably good fit for me. But then, I know that I've changed, too.

Fellowships can and do have more members than a church. I recall speaking with people who said that they were fellowship members, and that their fellowship was much bigger than nearby UU churches. The churches were historic ones that were struggling to retain members while this fellowship was actively working to attract young people and unchurched religious liberals and succeeding. In fact, one such person said that her fellowship had no interest at all in being designated a church. They felt they could stay more responsive to people's needs if they didn't have that label stuck to them.

So, you never can tell. As Metachosis pointed out, you simply have to get involved with whatever UU groups are within a reasonable distance and see which one fits you best.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook