Switch to Forum Live View Kudos and a question
6 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 3:10PM #1
GreenCat
Hello,

First I want to say that I support you in your opposition of psychotropic medications. I appreciate that Scientologists have publicly questioned the wisdom and necessity taking of these substances.

Here is my question.

An aquaintanceof mine is a Psychiatrist who is also opposed to psychotropic medications. His reasons may be different from yours, but his conclusion is the same. What are your feelings about a psychiatrist such as this? In other words, do your objections to psychiatry extend beyond your feelings about these drugs which many of them advocate and prescribe?

Greencat
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 7:57PM #2
kenfriend7
The Church of Scientology founded the Citizens Commission on Human Rights (CCHR) to "investigate and expose psychiatric violations of human rights" along with a psychiatrist: Dr. Thomas Szasz.

They first worked together in 1969 to release a man falsely imprisoned, stripped naked and forced to undergo painful electro-shocks in a psychiatric institution because he only spoke Hungarian, which was misinterpreted by the hospital psychs as crazy "gibberish".

Dr. Szasz has been trying to expose psychiatric pseudoscience and harmful "treatments" for decades. He has a great website here: http://www.szasz.com/

Other psychiatrists and psychologists have also been trying to expose the harm of psychiatric drugging, along with independent neurologists, pediatricians, etc.

It is the drug industry that claims the only opponents of psych drugging are Scientologists. This lie has been repeated in the media. However, most of the people opposing psych drugging are ethical doctors who see the immense damage done and family members who've lost loved ones.

Scientologists work with people from all professions, religions and walks of life who are trying to stop the harmful drugging and violations of human rights that occur in mainstream psychiatry.

Some videos with psychiatrists exposing the harm of psych drugging can be found here: http://www.cchr.org/index/16217/16270/
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 9:20AM #3
rbgerard
Re: Physically Damaging Treatments

From the web page of the Citizens Commission on Human rights (CCHR):

"CCHR was founded in 1969 by the Church of Scientology and the internationally acclaimed author, Dr. Thomas Szasz, Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry at the State University of New York, Syracuse."

"CCHR's members include prominent doctors, lawyers, artists, educators, civil and human rights representatives and professionals who see it as their duty to expose and help abolish any and all _physically_ _damaging_ _practices_ in the field of mental healing. They work to accomplish these clearly stated aims with many like-minded individuals and groups, including politicians, teachers, health professionals, government and law enforcement officers and media." [emphasis added]

So, yes, Scientologists work with psychiatrists who oppose physically damaging treatments in mental health (like lobotomies, electroshock, psychotropic drugs, dunking people in ice baths, etc.)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2007 - 1:07AM #4
ManzanoSky
Our objection to psychiatry is quite basic.  By definition (since psychiatrists are doctors seeking to apply physical remedies to mental conditions), it seeks to address what we hold are spiritual issues, by physical means.  We consider that impossible.  We do not believe all thought and behavior are reducible to responses to physical conditions and stimuli.  And if they are not, then the basis of psychiatry is invalid.

That does not mean we hate psychiatrists, per se.  It's just that since we consider their remedies are based on falsehoods, we necessarily feel they cannot help, but can hurt. 

I have had friends who were psychiatrists.  We just had to agree to disagree on the validity of psychiatry.

The psychiatrists who are friends of the church no longer believe psychiatry is valid, either.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook