Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What is the most significant spiritual issue you are grappling with in your life?
7 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2007 - 4:34PM #1
Talent
This question is open to men & women, but especially Baby Boomers and GenXers.  Please be candid. Thanks.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2007 - 4:34PM #2
Talent
This question is open to men & women, but especially Baby Boomers and GenXers.  Please be candid. Thanks.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 11:07PM #3
Anesis
What a loaded question! However, the year I was born is the last year of the boomers, so I'm right on the border between them and the Xers.

I will be candid. I knew in my heart that I needed to come to this new town and return to school for a specific education. Right from the start, there were issues, such as not being able to find a rental place that would allow me to have my dog and my son. God pulled through at the last minute, and provided a place, which in the end only got me to the town. I could not live in the suite due to a typo (3 stairs as opposed to the real 38), and so had to stay in a hotel and look for a new place to live. One thing led to another, which led to another, and so on. This last week has been the worst, with one tragedy coming on me in the midst of direct action to deal with a previous tragedy. I was starting to feel like Job - no sooner had he heard of one tragedy when another happened.

I was feeling abandoned by God - like he led me to hell and left me here. I was feeling like I was totally on the wrong path, that I had made a huge mistake in coming here. The church here has been very good to me and has come to help me in two times of huge need, so that was my only consolation - at least there was a church here who embraced me, and I made two friends at school. Still, the spiritual struggle was a crisis of faith for me - how could God just bring me here and then abandon me? How could this hell be the right place for me??

But for all my crying out to Jesus, I finally think I understand, at least a little. Today the pastor was very clear in his message, and it felt like it was directed to me and no one else. It was about the spiritual war, and how satan accuses, attacks and bombards people to get them to recant their faith in Christ.

I was seeing it all wrong - that I shouldn't be here if things are this bad. How I should be seeing it is that if I were not a threat to satan right now, doing what I'm doing, he would most likely leave me alone. But I must represent some terrible threat to him, that he would bombard me and attack me the way he has! And it isn't that God has left me - rather, he is using my situation so that his glory can be revealed!

This new knowledge has not yet been incorporated into my heart yet. I know it cognitively, but it might be awhile before I actually believe in the validity of such thinking. I know that my God will never abandon me, and he certainly would not lead me to hell. But that is how my life felt! I have been grateful for the church, but even that, I didn't see as God's presence, even though when I am at the church, I know God is there! Perhaps I have not been able to sense him anywhere else because it is everywhere else that life happens, and the accuser stands outside the door to the house of worship.

I will stand firm on the Rock!
An
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2007 - 2:13PM #4
Geocorona
I am grappling with how to deal with abusive people. Defiance? Endurance? If both, what balance? What is too much to endure? What is too little to defy?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2007 - 3:16PM #5
byHisstripes
A no-brainer, unfortunately. Submitting to His will for a more self-disciplined life. Yecch! But I love Him and want to be with Him, so there it is.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2007 - 4:58PM #6
Kate123
Right at this moment in time . . . Immagration.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2007 - 6:04PM #7
adiscipleofchrist8
Hello Talent,

I'm not a Gen X, but Gen Y. The most significant spiritual issue I'm dealing with is my mental illness and being a Christian at the same time. I was mentally ill before I came to Jesus, but started my spiritual journey with Jesus around the same time I was mentally ill. When I started to come to God I didn't do it whole heartedly because I needed deliverance from my mental illness. I needed a clearer mind. Once God work his deliverance on me in giving me a clearer mind, I started to whole heartedly follow Jesus Christ. Yet, I am still mentally ill, but you really can't tell that much because I'm on my medicine. The only people who can really see me as mentally ill are the people that live with me. I am also better off than most people that are mentally ill because of my relationship with Jesus Christ. I have been told by many people including my mom that you can't really tell I'm mentally ill that much, and that I have a better mentality than most people.

I've been mentally ill for nearly nine years now. The other issue within this context is how can I be saved, a Christian, yet still mentally ill. How could I be filled with the Holy Spirit and mentally ill at the same time (actually though I feel I haven't been baptized by the Holy Spirit)? In addition, am I demon possessed because I'm mentally ill? I remember that I've heard a preacher say that the demonic spirit can't exist in someone filled with the Holy Spirit. I will not say I'm filled with the Holy Spirit because I don't know if I am or not. I've also heard a preacher say you will know when your filled with the Holy Spirit.

I've also had an amazing unbelieveable experience around the new year and summer of '06. I will just tell you shortly that I had a visitation from God or I visited him. I believe that I was in the presence of God or somehow reached heaven in a dream I had. I also know that God spoke directly to my heart words that I couldn't fully comprehend in my cognitive human mind, and I cried tears of joy when this happen. I believe I had a visitation from the Holy Spirit throughout that time, but I wasn't yet filled with the Holy Spirit. I can tell you more in another post about my dreams and how God spoke to my heart if you want me to.

Peace,
adiscipleofchrist
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2007 - 11:08PM #8
seekerdrd
Gen-X here. I'm struggling with two things right now. The first is discerning my voice/will from God's, and the second is the loneliness that comes from being a virtual shut-in.

David
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2007 - 11:08AM #9
esotery
my struggle is letting go of my worries and trusting God in all my issues. for example, i still think a lot of how my parents will come to know Christ, how my life relationship will work out - things that I  should surrender to God and trust that He will know what to do.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 27, 2007 - 5:35PM #10
TalithaKuom
Shalom!
I'm a Gen-Y-er. I guess my struggle is praising God in the silences.
Peace of Christ!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook