Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Looking for information on Wicca
7 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2007 - 1:07PM #1
dolphintalk
I thought I had written this before but if I did it is lost.  I was looking for simple information for my husband who is not much of a reader but wants to understand about my beliefs. 

I am still learning and have participated in no ceremonies either with others or just myself.  I am meeting a number of other Wiccans on My Space and in strange places.  It is like everywhere I go I meet someone who is wiccan. 

Right now the questions I have are simple; What is the difference between Wicca and Paganism?  What are some of the Basic things I need to aquire for my alter and to begin having the rituals on my own?  Especially what are some that I may have around my house and how do I cleanse them?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2007 - 2:08PM #2
Seshen
[QUOTE=dolphintalk;24553]I thought I had written this before but if I did it is lost.  I was looking for simple information for my husband who is not much of a reader but wants to understand about my beliefs. 

I am still learning and have participated in no ceremonies either with others or just myself.  I am meeting a number of other Wiccans on My Space and in strange places.  It is like everywhere I go I meet someone who is wiccan. 

Right now the questions I have are simple; What is the difference between Wicca and Paganism?  What are some of the Basic things I need to aquire for my alter and to begin having the rituals on my own?  Especially what are some that I may have around my house and how do I cleanse them?[/QUOTE]

1. Wicca is a specific, 20th century faith.  Paganism is an umbrella term used for hundreds of non-Abrahamic belief systems. 

2. The basics are, whatever you want!  There are no hard/fast rules in general.  The most common tools are the sacred dagger, wand, cup and pentacle.  Others add a boline or other things.  Some Traditions and books will specify what type of dagger, etc you should use, but if you're eclectic it's really up to personal preference.

Here's a good source of info:  http://wicca.timerift.net
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2007 - 10:26AM #3
Aint_seen_nothin_like_me_yet
The difference between Wicca and Paganism is like the difference between Lutheranism and Christianity. Wicca is a specific branch of Paganism. All Wiccans are Pagans, but by far, not all Pagans are Wiccans.

Wicca teaches several things including:

1) Diety that is one or more of the following: polytheistic, pantheistic, a supreme Goddess who is the source of all things (in Dianic Wicca), a God and Goddess equal and complementary in every way, Diety that is archetypal.

2) There is no absolute evil. Example Satan.

3) A communion with nature.

4) The acceptance of life, death, and rebirth.

5) The Wiccan Rede . "An it harm none, do as ye will."

6) The Law of Return (Karma).

7) Constant self improvement.

There are other things as well. Many things are specific to traditions. These are basics, and not nearly all of them.

An altar should have at least an image(s) or symbol(s) of Diety, a knife, a chalice, a pentacle, and a wand. Tools aren't absolutely necessary to practice Wicca. I've participated in rituals without tools before, and I'll do it again. Each tool corresponds to certain elements, directions, and symbols. This often varies by tradition. Here's a basic list.

Knife: Air or Fire, East or South, commanding, male, symbol of the God, inspiration or passions.

Chalice: Water, West, fertility, female, symbol of the Goddess and her womb, emotions.

Pentacle: Earth, North, grounding, female, symbol of the Goddess, nurturing. Also the pentacle represents the five elements. Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Spirit.

Wand: Fire or Air, South or East, welcoming, male, symbol of the God, passions or inspiration.

Again this isn't a complete nor universally accepted list, but it's a start. Many traditions have different symbols or directions for them. For instance some place Earth in the East instead of the North. There are many who associate the wand with Air, and the knife with Fire. Others associate the knife with Air, and the wand with Fire.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 12:55PM #4
Seshen
[QUOTE=Aint_seen_nothin_like_me_yet;27795]

Again this isn't a complete nor universally accepted list, but it's a start. Many traditions have different symbols or directions for them. For instance some place Earth in the East instead of the North. There are many who associate the wand with Air, and the knife with Fire. Others associate the knife with Air, and the wand with Fire.[/QUOTE]

This is our Trad's:

East:  Earth, Pantacle (spelling deliberate), the body
West:  Air, Dagger, the mind
North:  Water, Cup, the subconscious
South:  Fire, Wand, the will
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 1:54AM #5
Aint_seen_nothin_like_me_yet
By the way Seshen, I love your tradition! While it wouldn't be a good fit for me personally, I think it is beautiful and deeply moving.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2007 - 5:53PM #6
karlyn255
Hi! I'm new here to the site and to this forum. I came from a long line of Wiccans. But , no one see's it that way but me. Mom said she was Baptist (in spirit world now), sis was Mormon for a while. But I'm sure we are all Wiccans. We were brought up to clear a parking space before we arrived come where, Mom was always bringing things through to this plane that didn't belong (what a childhood I had), We send a white light to those in surgery, and all of the woman in our family see...some through dreams and my girls and I see spirits. Two questions???? Are we wiccan, paggan or just plain witches. Only two of us practice incantations,. But all do what we in our family call wish craft. So where really are my roots.....Karlyn255
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2007 - 5:53PM #7
karlyn255
Hi! I'm new here to the site and to this forum. I came from a long line of Wiccans. But , no one see's it that way but me. Mom said she was Baptist (in spirit world now), sis was Mormon for a while. But I'm sure we are all Wiccans. We were brought up to clear a parking space before we arrived come where, Mom was always bringing things through to this plane that didn't belong (what a childhood I had), We send a white light to those in surgery, and all of the woman in our family see...some through dreams and my girls and I see spirits. Two questions???? Are we wiccan, paggan or just plain witches. Only two of us practice incantations,. But all do what we in our family call wish craft. So where really are my roots.....Karlyn255
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2007 - 12:39PM #8
Seshen
[QUOTE=Aint_seen_nothin_like_me_yet;32296]By the way Seshen, I love your tradition! While it wouldn't be a good fit for me personally, I think it is beautiful and deeply moving.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!  I'm pretty fond of it myself.  ;)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2007 - 1:00PM #9
Seshen
[QUOTE=karlyn255;36563]Hi! I'm new here to the site and to this forum. I came from a long line of Wiccans. But , no one see's it that way but me. Two questions???? Are we wiccan, paggan or just plain witches. Only two of us practice incantations,. But all do what we in our family call wish craft. So where really are my roots.....Karlyn255[/QUOTE]

Wicca is a 20th century faith, it's specific structure begun by Gardner in the 1930s/40s.  So it's not likely you come from a "long line of Wiccans," as it's really only a couple of generations old.

How do you define "pagan" and "witchcraft?"
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2007 - 2:01PM #10
Innerpoint
[QUOTE=karlyn255;36563]Hi! I'm new here to the site and to this forum. I came from a long line of Wiccans. But , no one see's it that way but me. Mom said she was Baptist (in spirit world now), sis was Mormon for a while. But I'm sure we are all Wiccans. We were brought up to clear a parking space before we arrived come where, Mom was always bringing things through to this plane that didn't belong (what a childhood I had), We send a white light to those in surgery, and all of the woman in our family see...some through dreams and my girls and I see spirits. Two questions???? Are we wiccan, paggan or just plain witches. Only two of us practice incantations,. But all do what we in our family call wish craft. So where really are my roots.....Karlyn255[/QUOTE]

Witchcraft.  With the various other faiths you've mentioned, I'd have to go with a 'Craft practice.  Reasoning:  As has been said, Wicca is not old enough to have had anyone come from a 'long line' of Wiccans.  Wicca is also a religion, not a practice, and, as such, has specific 'strictures' (if I may be allowed that usage) that defines what the faith is.

Paganism would be out simply because of the Baptist and Mormon connections.  They are both singular faiths and do not fall under Paganism.  Now you, yourself, without having designated or assigned any specific faith to your beliefs, could well be.  Depends on your view of deity/ies and how you choose to worship.

While Witchcraft can be a stand-alone faith, it's more than often not - and its practices are incorporated into other faiths.  A Witch can be of any faith, or no faith.  It's the practice that makes the Witch, not the religion (or lack thereof).

Read and explore.  While I normally tend to shy away from recommending Silver Ravenwolf for Wiccan reading, she does present a decent practice of Witchcraft - and she's fairly easy to understand.  There are several book threads on the old boards that I need to consolidate and bring over here... and, hopefully, we can have some new additions once they're placed.  Give me the weekend to get it done.  I'm just now getting back into the swing of things and it will take me a couple of days to catch up.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook