7 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2007 - 1:26AM #1
splendid
Over on the Catholic welcome board (I think that's where the discussion is, I get sort of lost here although I like it)there is a discussion about icons.
The icon in question is the Nativity of Our Lord ( I think that's the name, I wanted to post a picture but the insert image button brings up a url request not a browse request so I don't know how)anyway the most asked and unaswered question is why is Mary turned away front the infant Jesus?

Some of the observations about the icon are unsettling, and the whole image can be seen that way. I don't necassarily see this is a bad thing but if one doesn't get the teaching behind it the image can be off putting. I'd like a better understanding of it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2007 - 2:37PM #2
WitnessNJ
[INDENT]Why is Mary turned away from the infant Jesus?
[/INDENT]

Mary is looking at Joseph, trying to overcome his doubts and temptations, as she will do to all of us today.

See this link:

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Nativity_icon

There is a lot going on in this Icon, it shows the complete submission of Christ our God to the physical conditions governing the human race. 

Andy
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2007 - 12:09AM #3
splendid
Thanks for the reply NJ and thanks also to Cinci-Orthodox who answered on the Catholic board.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 16, 2007 - 5:28PM #4
Kelliotes
Does anyone know where I can get my paper ikons mounted at a reasonable cost?

H
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook