Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
7 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2007 - 12:32AM #1
Anesis
One question that comes up frequently is "What exactly is an EC (Evangelical Christian)?" This thread is to discuss what it is, what we believe, and what sets us apart from some Christian faiths.
An
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2007 - 8:06PM #2
miami-ted
Hello An,

This comes from the National Evangelical Association:

• We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.

• We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

• We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.

• We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful people, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.

• We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.

• We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.

• We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.

I find it to be on target for what I consider an evangelical.

God bless.

In Christ, Ted.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 5:50PM #3
TalithaKuom
Shalom!
I agree with Ted.
More simply. Evangelicals believe 1. the Holy Bible is the final, authoritative and infallible guide on all matters of faith and practise, and 2. in accepting Jesus as one's personal Lord and Savior.
Peace of Christ!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 9:21PM #4
Anesis
Right on, Ted!

That is basically what I have found too. The other things I've found is that evangelicals believe in the five solas: sola scriptura (scripture alone; authoritative), sola fide (by faith alone), sola gratia (by grace alone), Solus Christus (through Christ alone), and soli deo gloria (to the glory of God alone). These are the basics of evangelicalism that I have found nearly every time I do a study on what it means to be evangelical.

I hope as people get to know the new site that they will come to realize that the welcome boards are a sort of replacement for the Learn About boards. Hopefully it will start to pick up a bit.
An
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 21, 2007 - 7:24PM #5
birwin4
TalathaKuom(sp?)
This is a good simple definition especially the Bible being the authority for faith and practise. The old B'Net with its use of 'literal' without defining this word was too exclusive. Does 'literal' mean no figurative language or does it mean never looking for literary devices the author uses? Either way it leads to unnecessaary divisions.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 25, 2007 - 7:05PM #6
OnewayOneLord
[QUOTE=miami-ted;1623]Hello An,

This comes from the National Evangelical Association:

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 25, 2007 - 7:07PM #7
OnewayOneLord
Hello Ane:

don't know what happened with that last post, but I would agree with  Ted's post.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2007 - 8:31AM #8
Glory2Glory
I think too that Evangelicals "evangelize"--because we believe in salvation, we work to introduce others to Christ.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2007 - 10:43PM #9
Anesis
Hi Nicole.

Do you know if there is a difference between "evangelize" and "proselytize"?

Welcome to the board! Check out the Evangelical Christianity board under faith communities, too! It's nice to have you with us.
An
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2007 - 10:52AM #10
mas21
Proselytizing is forcing beliefs onto another person, Evangelizing is letting them know about the beliefs and letting them make their own decision
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook