Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
4 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2014 - 9:54AM #1
Bhakta_glenn

At the moment, I am reciting the Gāyatrī Mantra.

I think that My Preceptor gave me this Mantra because she was convinced that I am suffering from Mental Dullness, paying too much attention to Irreverent Things.

A long time ago My Preceptor gave me this mantra:

"Everyday and in everyway,

I am improving

and getting better."

Now, when she gave me the instruction to recite the Gāyatrī Mantra, she gave me single word to accompany it: Saṅkalpa.

As far as I am able to understand, it means Yogic Resolution: which may be abbreviated to 'Volition'. In Buddhism,'Volition' refers to the Eightofld Noble Path: Right Intention, sometimes translated as Right Thought.

Right Thoughts refer to wholesome thoughts which are free of unwholesome defilements  free from sensuous desire, free from ill-will, free from cruelty. Thus, one may understand that Right Intention, refers to Volitions which are free from sensuous desire, free from ill-will, free from cruelty.

Thus, I carried out some research online as to why one should recite the Gāyatrī Mantra, and found a Fivefold Saṅkalpa:

Saṅkalpa for recting the Gāyatrī Mantra

Volition: Yogic Resolution

May I recite the Gāyatrī Mantra
For the Realisation of
The Five Human Qualities:-

1. Sathya (Truth)
2. Dharma (Right Conduct)
3. Shanti (Peace)
4. Prema (Love)
5. Ahimsa (Non-Violence)

Rig Veda Book 3 Hymn 10

RV 3.62.10

Gāyatrī Mantra

oṃ bhūr bhuvaḥ svaḥ tatsaviturvarenyaṃ ।  
bhargo devasya dhīmahi dhīyo yo naḥ pracodayāt ।।

x108

When I retire for the night, I resolve to arise at 2.30am with the sound of the alarm clock, get out of bed to turn off the alarm, then wash and dress for my practice of Morning Yoga in Daily Life.

I carry out some Morning Reading from the Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam (Bhāgavata Purāṇa)

vedabase.com/en/sb

and the Śrī Caitanya-caritāmṛta

vedabase.com/en/cc

Usually, I am ready to recite the Gāyatrī Mantra at about 4.10 am. I sit in Padmāsana an carry out one hundred and eight recitations. Usually, I finish at about 5.00 am. Then, I sit in Meditation until 5.30 am. At this time, I have completed my practice of Morning Yoga in Daily Life.

My preparations for these activites are prefaced by carrying out a Buddhist Meditation of Directing Thoughts of Loving Kindness [Metta] to the following:

My Preceptor and the Buddha, the Dhamma, and the Sangha, and Samantabhadra.

Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, Sri Advaita, Sri Nityananda, Sri Gaurāṅga, Sri Gadadhara, Sri Srivasa

Veda Mata Gayatri.

I have a small booklet entitled Veda Mata Gayatri. There is a picture of Veda Mata Gayatri on the Front Cover. She is holding a flag. "Om" is written on the flag.

May all beings live in peace and harmony.

May all beings be happy.

Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2014 - 7:31AM #2
Bhakta_glenn
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2014 - 2:25AM #3
Karma_yeshe_dorje

Devout Bhakta_glenn:

Thanks for the mantra reference. To which rendition I listened while hanging out washing.

At my gym, attention to repeated practice brought benefits:
* weight loss;
* increased strength;
* confidence; and so on.

Similarly what was your experience of the benefit of repeatedly performing spiritual practice?

I suggest some variation. For example, you might make day-trips to devotional sites.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2014 - 8:09AM #4
Karma_yeshe_dorje

Faithful Bhakta_glenn:

I just took the Belief-O-Matic quiz, ranking as follows:
* 3rd place, Hinduism;
* 6th place, Theravada Buddhism; and
* 11th place, Mahayana Buddhism.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2014 - 3:17AM #5
Bhakta_glenn

Oct 7, 2014 -- 2:25AM, Karma_yeshe_dorje wrote:

Devout Bhakta_glenn:

Thanks for the mantra reference. To which rendition I listened while hanging out washing.

At my gym, attention to repeated practice brought benefits:
* weight loss;
* increased strength;
* confidence; and so on.

Similarly what was your experience of the benefit of repeatedly performing spiritual practice?

I suggest some variation. For example, you might make day-trips to devotional sites.

Karma_Yeshe_Dorje

Thank you for this post.

Weight Loss

I noted that my weight was beginning to increase again. Therefore, I began to diet again.

One of the main problems with dieting is that eating less may generate hunger far more than is normal for me: withdrawal symptoms. Therefore, I decided to use the same Chinese weight loss products as before, Chinese Tea Therapy.

As far as I understand, Chinese people do not merely use tea as a beverage. They have a large number of medicinal uses for it. The person whom I obtain the products from is a doctor. He also offers his services for Acupuncture and Reflexology.

My dieting began on the evening of Sunday 2nd November 2014. This morning, I noted that I had lost 2.6 pounds.

The weight loss products detoxify the body, and ward off hunger when eating less. I did not have to change my eating habits that much. I just refrained from eating nuts, and drinking coffee. Not sure if coffee has any weight issues. But when the body is being detoxified, it just tastes horrible. I replaced it with a pure lemon juice cordial.

Apparently, one cup of the pure lemon juice cordial provides 75% of my daily need for Vitamin C.

The weight has been lost without any need for exercising. Back in my schooldays, I never liked physical exercise. It was not that I was unfit. I was a very fast runner. What has never appealed to me is the competitive nature of sports.

At school, I used to opt for swimming. We were taken on a coach to the local swimming baths. And the structured exercises were not mandatory. What followed was a swimming period that offered complete relaxation, and here is a mnemonic for that:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YaNka91Y1I

According to the television, this song is about a children’s playground.

Living is easy with eyes closed misunderstanding all you see

This is just like me. I need my Preceptor to open my eyes to Reality!

As children we can afford the luxury of being ignorant, but when we grow into adults, we have to be much sharper, and something noble dies within. To become Enlightened we have to get back in touch with our ‘inner child’.

In a simple nutshell:

I can now sit with my mind undisturbed, my heart filled with peace, and the movements of my mind stilled: Tranquillity.

Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali

BKS Iyengar

Samadhi Pada

1.2 Yoga is the cessation in the movements of the consciousness.

In Theravada Buddhism, 'Yoga', as defined by Iyengar, is known as 'Right Concentration', the ability to fix the mind on a single object, without any fluctuation or movement of consciousness, aka Samadhi. For the Buddha was taught this skill by qualified Brahmins, and taught it in the Eightfold Noble Path, the Fourth Noble Truth.

When the mind is calm, wisdom arises; when the mind is agitated, wisdom dies and is replaced by ignorance.

I am still disabled. But a long time ago, My Precptor advised me that we can 'kill the disability that has blighted my life'. I do not usually discuss this because we are not supposed to look for such things in Meditation and Yoga, curing mental illnesses and disabilities.

However, I am aware that something like Buddhist Mindfulness Practices are being assimilated into British Psychological Health Care.

However, I have been given a set of spiritual practices which have never let me down in 23 years.

Earlier this year, back in June, I saw 'the face of my disability'. Usually, something like mental health disability is hidden. We cannot actually see what it is. For this reason, we do not know it. Thus, even with our best efforts, we are condemned to only think of the disability as something nebulous: Factor X.

Well, what did it look like, the face of my disability?

It looked like me.

Simple eh?

No, not simple. For it is the way that I saw a mental vision of myself in meditation whilst reciting the Gāyatrī Mantra that caused this vision to arise with the understanding that this was actually the outer form of my hidden disability, aka me. Whilst reciting the Mantra, I saw myself objectively. And now I know that my disability can be killed.

Yeah, I have that certainty. The only thing I do not know is 'when'. So for now, we must wait for the moment to arise for the realisation of the death of my disability. And that is not quite as simple as it may sound. For when the disability dies, a part of me must die also. For since my birth, I have never known any other kind of life than my disabled life.

And this is where Faith comes into the Practice. I have been taught well by my Preceptor. From experience born from long years of diligent practice according to her instruction and guidance, I can now continue on the Path with complete confidence, without any doubts about the dharma or her.

And here is mnemonic for reminding me of this period of 'waiting for the moment to arise'.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrxZhWCAuQw

Everything rises, dwells and falls in accordance with Time. There is a time to be born (rising), a time to live (dwelling), and there is a time to die (falling, passing away.)

Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2014 - 7:06AM #6
Karma_yeshe_dorje

I had been thinking of you Bhakta_glenn, wondering how you were.

I have watched the musical video whose link you first provided. And I liked the old-fashioned psychedelic rock! It was distracting (artistic).

As for diet, I think that distraction needs to be put in, so that you forget hunger!

I would not be greatly concerned over the span of a week, with weight moving a kilogram in either direction. Rather concentrate on building and continuing a healthy lifestyle.

On this site, I suggest checking out the Diet & Body Image forum.

I need to be consciously concerned with not stressing myself out!

I remember a rehabilitation provider telling me that cure was rare. Tongue Out And I read that it was cruel to tell someone say dying from cancer, that they had to adopt a positive attitude.

I think of the path as being the goal. That is, practising maintaining healthy lifestyle is important. If some miracle cure happens, then that is a blessing!

Yes, here I found a mindfulness meditation class advertised at a Territory mental health centre.

This evening I visited a man whom I had noticed tending towards anxiety. And his home had some of the trappings of hoarding. In his case, of computer parts!

I often find meaning in my dreams.

I have read that my disability is of the nature to wax and wane.

I just watched the video to which you referred last. I do like your aesthetic (artistic) taste!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2014 - 3:59PM #7
Bhakta_glenn

Karma_Yeshe_Dorje

Thank you for your posts.

I understand your scepitcism.

As I have written, I am now waiting for the moment to arise when I may defeat my disabilty. But, I am not phsed by htis understanding, or beguiled by an evangelical perosn who has gotten religion. for in my case, we cannot fix what has been broken. We can olny tkae this broken person to the light. And when he dies, he will experince release from the hell of mental disability:

LEONARD COHEN LYRICS

www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/leonardcohen/hal...

"Hallelujah"

[...]

Maybe there’s a God above

But all I’ve ever learned from love

Was how to shoot at someone who outdrew you

It’s not a cry you can hear at night

It’s not somebody who has seen the light

It’s a cold and it’s a broken Hallelujah

[...]

Full Song:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrLk4vdY28Q

Taking the words of this song as my sermon, I walk on with diligence.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2014 - 5:44PM #8
Bhakta_glenn

Nov 7, 2014 -- 7:06AM, Karma_yeshe_dorje wrote:

I had been thinking of you Bhakta_glenn, wondering how you were.

I have watched the musical video whose link you first provided. And I liked the old-fashioned psychedelic rock! It was distracting (artistic).

As for diet, I think that distraction needs to be put in, so that you forget hunger!

I would not be greatly concerned over the span of a week, with weight moving a kilogram in either direction. Rather concentrate on building and continuing a healthy lifestyle.

On this site, I suggest checking out the Diet & Body Image forum.

I need to be consciously concerned with not stressing myself out!

I remember a rehabilitation provider telling me that cure was rare. And I read that it was cruel to tell someone say dying from cancer, that they had to adopt a positive attitude.

I think of the path as being the goal. That is, practising maintaining healthy lifestyle is important. If some miracle cure happens, then that is a blessing!

Yes, here I found a mindfulness meditation class advertised at a Territory mental health centre.

This evening I visited a man whom I had noticed tending towards anxiety. And his home had some of the trappings of hoarding. In his case, of computer parts!

I often find meaning in my dreams.

I have read that my disability is of the nature to wax and wane.

I just watched the video to which you referred last. I do like your aesthetic (artistic) taste!

Karma_Yeshe_Dorje

There is only one reason why I am involved with Buddhism and Brahmanism. It is because I discovered these Dharmas for myself, without anyone advising me that I ought to follow their religion.

When I had not understood about the reality of God, I had absolutely nothing to do with any religion. When the Time of Attainment for the realisation of God arose for me, I went in search of a qualified Guru. A Guru is usually understood to be a Teacher. But, not necessarily an academically qualified Teacher, though can be. No, a Guru is by definition Enlightened and qualified to Teach Dharma. I found my Guru and when I understood who she was, I requested Dharma from her.

I do not know very much, but I knew what signs to look for in a Guru. My instincts have never let me down. Only people have let me down.

23 years ago, my Guru began a course of development for me which would lead to the Mantra Yoga Practice of Gayatri Mantra Japa. Suffices it to say that I have Faith in the Gayatri Mantra. I believe in its efficacy.

Here is an article about the Gayatri Mantra, entitled a 'Healing Mantra'. When reading this piece, one may accept it, reject it, or maintain an open mind with respect to it.

I accept it. I offer no justification for my Faith in this Mantra. But I do know that I have felt something of its power when reciting it.

timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/A...

The Times of India

Life and Style

A healing mantra

Bhanumathi Narasimhan | Oct 22, 2011, 12.00 AM IST

[...]

Chanting the Gayatri mantra rejuvenates the mind and maintains it in an elevated and energised state.    

When we take up a practice of Mantra Yoga, we may read a little about the Mantra, but no amount of academic parsing of the Mantra will substitute the actual benefits of reciting it.

I have advised you that I think that I may 'kill my disability'. You have read my thoughts about this and responded with denial. That is actually fine with me. But with respect I am bound to say that I do not agree with you. But, having said that, may I wish you well.

I will merely point out that in this universe there are far higher and more noble things than 'yours and mine' opinion. I think that the Gayatri mantra is one of them.

Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2014 - 3:43AM #9
Bhakta_glenn

Karma_Yeshe_Dorje

Meditation and Yoga

For me there are no demarcation lines betwixt Meditation and Yoga on the one hand and engaging in Daily Life on the other hand. For me, the World is my Shrine Room, and the World is also my Guru. What this means is that we have to take our skills developed in Mediation and Yoga into the world and for them to make a difference there.

For success in Meditation and Yoga, two mental faculties have to be developed:

1      Concentration    aka Samadhi.

Please note that this is not like the same kind of mundane concentration that we must develop for becoming an academic student in school or university. It is supernormal, supramundane and can only be developed from Meditation and Yoga practices, prayer.

2      Faith     by Faith, we do not mean 'blind belief'. Rather, our Faith is also experienced as Revelation, or evolves from good practice derived from bona fide qualified Preceptors, from Guru to Disciple.

For Mantra Yoga, Mantra Japa, the student ought to have been established in the skilful means of 'entering' Samadhi, and 'exiting' Samadhi at will. This ought to be done in seconds, not minutes or hours.

When sitting in Samadhi, the student may then recite the Mantra. Whilst sitting in Samadhi, reciting the Mantra, there will not be any mental distractions. This is because we have been skilfullly taught how to

'still the movements of consciousness'

- [Patanjali's Yoga Sutra, Samadhi Pada, 1.2: "Yoga is the cessation of the movements of consciousness" - Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali BKS Iyengar]

And:

When we develop these Yogic Skills and Abilities, we may bring our 'Concentration' and 'Faith' to bear upon mundane subjects, such as ''Weight Loss".

With weight loss, we are not interested in attempting to lose a vast amount of weigth very quickly, as that is extremely unwise, and even dangerous, especially for an older person, such as me. Indeed, the Chinese doctor who sold me the weight loss products advised me against stressful gymnastics on account of my age.

Instead, we are patient. We eat and go about our daily lives with patience and without stress, watching our weight with mindful diligence. Every morning, before eating we weigh ourselves and take note of the weight. Over a period of a week, we begin to note the trend.

1   Small steps downwards, being the trend we desire.

2   Small steps upwards being the trend we do not desire.

3   No appreciable movement up or down advises us to take note of the diet and see what     may need to be changed.

We call this dieting method "Weight-loss-averaging".

Having established a sense of ''Right Concentration upon 'Diet Methodology", we must establish confidence in the Method.

Will this diet be efficacious?

Answers:

1   I do not know – Proceed on the basis of Trial and Error.

2   I know because I have done this before – Proceed with confidence.

Our first candidate has yet to establish Faith in the Method. Our second candidate has established Faith in the Method, and can then actually proceed with confidence, without any due concern for the amount of weight loss being achieved. But safe in the wisdom that he will achieve his goal and arrive at his intended 'new weight'.

You see, we do not just practise Meditation and Yoga to realise higher truths and realities, we practise them for the realisation of a better quality of life, as an Art of Living.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2014 - 11:00AM #10
Karma_yeshe_dorje

Hello again Bhakta_glenn:

Yesterday I shared lunch with a Unitarian Universalist group. Visiting them was a Humanist. Whose manner I did not like at all! I thought that he must be anxious, and a control freak. Jung said that we project onto others those aspects of ourselves that we dislike!

A long time ago, I was studying a yoga teachers' course. This included the "obligatory theory" of the Yoga Sutras and Bhagavad Gita. As I was then employed as an academic, I published a paraphrase of the earlier work, in the yoga association's journal. The course coordinator was then livid! And I soon discovered that my teachers themselves hadn't a clue between them as to the meaning of the latter two chapters. It was while I was on a bushwalking excursion from an ashram (of a different order) that I encountered a Theravada monastery. And the monk answered my same questions straight away! For there the meditation was a living tradition. Whereas the upper-class ladies' bend-and-stretch had lost all spiritual substance long ago.

I also expect difficulty dealing with others. I recently got a stuffy, verbose letter from socialist chiefs. I expect the worst of them! Surprised

A problem that I have, is inability to stop.

Thank you for the devout article reference.

The Humanist I mentioned above, wanted everyone to be positive in his presence. So I tried to rephrase everything in positive, upbeat terms. Which seemed to please him.

Infinity is a process, like the algorithm recursively calculating the Mandelbrot set.

I have done some gardening, which seems to straighten out the grounds around the house. And it gave me an excuse to exercise and get fresh air.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook