Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Habeas Corpus and Joseph Smith
4 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2014 - 1:23AM #1
I went up to Kingsbarry Hall tonight and saw this, it was really interesting. Four of the Apostle  were there along with the Governor. I wish we could of stayed for the panel discussion but both my sister and my mom are going deaf and couldn’t hear it anyway.
Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
4 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2014 - 8:31PM #2

Thank you WWA.

These events continue to give us today, a little knowledge and understanding of the faith of those early members. Also as we read private journals of family histories and the trials that were imposed on them do we just begin to understand the depth of their faith and understanding of the gospel.

Quick Reply
4 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2014 - 3:47PM #3

This is worth exploring.  A lot of people who are otherwise critical of the Church, as well as people in the Church who are critical of the Civil Rights Movement, don't know that Joseph Smith was seeking much the same relief as Martin Luther King: Federal intervention in civil rights cases.

Joseph Smith wanted federal protection because state authorities were unwilling to protect the civil rights of Momons, because doing so was unpopular within their state.  But the doctrine in full swing at the time was that the Bill of Rights applied only to the federal government in its actions, with regards to the rights of the citizens.  If citizens wanted protection of their rights, within any state, they had to apply to the state.  There was no mechanism in place that gave the federal government oversight of how the states protected the civil rights of their residents.

This changed with the passage and ratification of the Civil War Amendments, particularly the 14th Amendment, which allowed Congress the authority to enact appropriate legislation to enforce its terms, which includes Due Process and Equal Protection of all citizens.  This is what Joseph Smith sought for.  Its enforcement, by federal authorities, is what Martin Luther King called for.

Quick Reply
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Beliefnet On Facebook