Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Utah Gay Marriage Ban Ends
4 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2013 - 9:23PM #1

Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

First Published 5 hours ago • Updated 5 minutes ago

A federal judge in Utah Friday struck down the state’s ban on same-sex marriage, saying the law violates the U.S. Constitution’s guarantees of equal protection and due process.

"The state’s current laws deny its gay and lesbian citizens their fundamental right to marry and, in so doing, demean the dignity of these same-sex couples for no rational reason," wrote U.S. District Court Judge Robert J. Shelby. "Accordingly, the court finds that these laws are unconstitutional."

iFrame RemovediFrame Removed

Ryan Bruckman, spokesman for the Utah Attorney General’s Office, said its attorneys plan to appeal the decision and were currently drafting a motion to seek a stay of the ruling "as quickly as we can get it taken care of."

Utah Gov. Gary Herbert issued this statement late Friday afternoon: "I am very disappointed an activist federal judge is attempting to override the will of the people of Utah. I am working with my legal counsel and the acting Attorney General to determine the best course to defend traditional marriage within the borders of Utah."

Several hundred people descended on the Salt Lake County Clerk’s Office Friday afternoon to get licenses. A pastor from the First Baptist Church was on hand to conduct wedding ceremonies.

Hopefully there will be no widespread rioting in downtown Provo while the Church/State attempts to put the genie back in the bottle.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
4 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2014 - 10:44PM #2

As you may well know, the Church was successful in gaining an injunction against further Gay marriages in Utah from the Supreme Court, till the SCOTUS hears and rules on this issue.  Together with the State of Utah, they have both retained skilled attorneys from outside of Utah, who have experience advocating against the Gay menace and arguing before the SCOTUS.

I have an extraneous question regarding the LDS Family Proclamation which this historic case will rest upon:

I wonder if the Church has information it has been unwilling to share with its general membership regarding the Family Proclamation? Every once in a while I have heard members in the know say the line, "Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve".

Why the cover-up of this first marriage? What are they not talking about?

Did Joseph Smith and Steve have a disagreement during the Heaven War? Was Lieutenant Steve suppose to radio the coordinates for an enemy machine gun nest to Captain Smith, but transposed the coordinates because he was concentrating on picking out just the right accessories for the final march to the Rim of Chaos?

What is the full story?

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
4 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2014 - 4:27PM #3

I have no idea what Moksha is smoking but I might say the same thing about state officials and their quest to dump legal resources into a fight they are going to lose.  Let them bring their case, at great expense, and let the rest of the dominoes fall.  Gay marriage is here to stay, not because gay marriage is the cure for cancer, but because the law requires the equal protection of all citizens.  

If non-Mormons can get married outside the temple, and marry "till death do us part," and if they can solemnize their union through such silliness as getting married while skydiving, married under water, married on the beach, or even married at a drive-thru window, the Church will survive the fact that somewhere, beyond Church property, there are people getting married who are of the same gender.

Temple marriage remains unaffected by the existence of these other versions of marriage.

Quick Reply
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Beliefnet On Facebook