Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

5 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2013 - 9:54PM #1
Bookista
I am not ethnically Indian, but after years in conservative Christian churches, I believe and love many Hindu teachings. I have experienced joy and peace from reading about Hinduism and translations of Hindu holy writings.

However, I am looking for a spiritual home, a place to go and practice the rituals of faith. Would I be welcome at a local temple? I do not know HOW to perform Hindu rituals, I am ignorant but I would want to learn.

What are some places/resources to go to learn how to integrate myself into the Hindu community?

I am a 30 year old woman living in East Tennessee. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2013 - 2:59AM #2
Jm8

Namaste,

> Would I be welcome at a local temple?

like everywhere, it depends very much on the people and circumstances determined by several factors as per Bhagavadgita 18.14.

> What are some places/resources to go to learn how to integrate myself into the Hindu community?

You could start with Wikipedia's main article on hinduism.

Here are some TN temples: www.hindutemples.us/#TN

Hope this helps. Hare Krsna
Your servant, bh. Jan

www.vrindavan-dham.com
www.veda.harekrsna.cz

jIve dayA nAme ruci vaiSNava sevana
IhA chArA dharma nAhi zuna sanAtana

"Hear, Sanatana! Kindness to all living beings, taste for the holy name, and service to Vaisnavas - apart from these there is no other dharma." (attributed to Lord Caitanya, often quoted or alluded to by Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati, e.g. in Caitanya Bhagavata Adi Khanda 1.1 purport)

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook