Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

5 years ago  ::  Jun 19, 2013 - 7:50PM #1
Here's the situation.

Over on Deviant Art, a poster named Fisherella started the following thread: . (note: DA's had trouble with hacked ads, so you'll want to have Ad-Block Plus or another ad-blocker running.)

Fisherella is worried about a friend who has, according to rumors and reports, made some drastic lifestyle changes. This includes going from "gay and non-religious" to "straight and Mormon".

My maternal grandmother had Alzheimer's, and so I have first-hand experience with what can happen when a person becomes mentally ill. Given this, I have been trying to counsel Fisherella about what to do next. Specifically, I've recommended that the poster actually meet with the friend and even attend church once or twice in order to see for him/herself exactly what's going on with the friend. This way, the OP should be able to get some idea as to whether or not this was a personal 180 or if the friend is somehow descending into mental illness.

Right in the middle of this comes a poster named MinorElite.

The minute he read the OP, MinorElite started freaking out about the church having "brainwashed" the guy and how the OP needs to stage an intervention with all speed before the church kills him.

Thing is, MinorElite defines "brainwashing" as "media depictions portraying lifestyles I don't agree with."

His actual posts when I called him out on what he meant by his accusations:

Family stuff commercials: man and woman and their children
Couples commercial: man and woman
Clothes commercial: man and woman kissing (lol whut)
Food/drink commercial: man and woman kissing or whatever
Toothpaste commercial: lolz what has man and woman to do with that? I don't even know why they do so..anyway man and woman stuff in there too
Movies/series: mostly man and woman couples you have to search hard to find series with at least one gay couple it it..
And a lots of more was what you asked for right?

Brainwash..they feed the people with only one thing to make people follow them and think like them and all that stuff. Propaganda stuff and such u know

In other words, he's mistaking "routine advertising campaigns" and "possible cases of cultural insensitivity" for "someone hammering on someone else's brain until the someone else forcibly comes to alter their way of thinking".

I'm trying to explain to this person that

1. "Brainwashing" is a serious charge.

2. The church doesn't do that stuff.

3. He needs to calm down and stop fighting shadows.

Problem is, it's all going over his head. As much as I want to chalk it up to his not being a native English-speaker (his artist page says he's from Norway), his lack of comprehension and his poor-even-by-internet-standards grammar are leading me to question both his mental density and his level of education.

Any ideas on how I can deal with this guy?

As an aside, the OP has agreed to attend services in person and meet with the friend's bishop to try and figure things out for him/herself, so at least one thing good took place.

Quick Reply
5 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2013 - 11:37AM #2

1) You have to live the life you have been given to the best of your ability.

2) Church leaders have long cautioned the good and faithful to be very careful in their journeys around the internet, especially with respect to social media, and to avoid places and people that are critical of LDS teachings.

3) Set the best example you can, whatever that may be.

Quick Reply
5 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2013 - 5:19AM #3
Acts 28:22

How do you think MinorElite would respond to this?

A Gay Mormon: Follow Up

It is impossible to stand upright when one plants his roots in the shifting sands of popular opinion and approval.

Thomas S. Monson
Quick Reply
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Beliefnet On Facebook