Switch to Forum Live View looking for a conference quote....
2 years ago  ::  Jul 28, 2012 - 9:01PM #1
mercedes62
 I have an 18 year old son and he is encouraged by us to date around and no steady dating and he likes it like that. The girls however do not like it and he has been called a "player" for not dating one girl exclusively. There was a conference address recently that I could have sworn said that youth who date around would be labeled "a player" and not to pay any attention to that because it's not true. 
I have looked and looked and can't find that and do not know who said it. It has been in the past 4 or so years I do believe. If you know it, can you please refer me to it?
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 28, 2012 - 10:27PM #2
MMCSFOX

Do I assume that the girls your 18 year old sons dates are not LDS therefore they have not been taught the same principles? Undecided Oh well even so welcome to the teenage parenthood years. These are tough years and more ahead. Yet all worthwhile. As Bill Cosby notes in his fatherhood book, chapter 5, even a guru would give up too. Or as he notes in chapter 6 “She’s Got the Whole World in Her Glands." My grand kids gave me Cosby’s Fatherhood book that I could have used 30 years earlier.

From LDS.ORG, (then search teenage dating.) The following is just one article and there are more there.

Preparation Brings Blessings, By President Thomas S. Monson

“Begin to prepare for a temple marriage as well as for a mission. Proper dating is a part of that preparation. In cultures where dating is appropriate, do not date until you are 16 years old. “Not all teenagers need to date or even want to. … When you begin dating, go in groups or on double dates. … Make sure your parents meet [and become acquainted with] those you date.” Because dating is a preparation for marriage, “date only those who have high standards.”2Be careful to go to places where there is a good environment, where you won’t be faced with temptation. A wise father said to his son, “If you ever find yourself in a place where you shouldn’t ought to be, get out!” Good advice for all of us. Just an afterthought, Bill Cosbys Fatherhood book is for fun reading not for guidelines.

(Bold print and underline is mine)

Remember also when things go wrong to deal with it with love.

Jesse Fox

Being a parent requires a knowledge of two disciplines:

Psychology and reverse psychology.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook