Switch to Forum Live View Mormon-in-chief? Latter-day Saints talk about what a President Romney would mean to them
2 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2012 - 9:19AM #1
Acts 28:22
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2012 - 2:18PM #2
withwonderingawe

I keep thinking about the rumored prophecy of ‘hanging by a thread’ and wondering is this what that meant (providing it was a real prophecy of course) 

Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2012 - 5:06PM #3
Ironhold

Jul 20, 2012 -- 2:18PM, withwonderingawe wrote:

I keep thinking about the rumored prophecy of ‘hanging by a thread’ and wondering is this what that meant (providing it was a real prophecy of course) 

Trust me - we're already there thanks to Obama & co.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2012 - 7:22PM #4
moksha8088

Jul 20, 2012 -- 5:06PM, Ironhold wrote:

Jul 20, 2012 -- 2:18PM, withwonderingawe wrote:

Trust me - we're already there thanks to Obama & co.

I think both of you may be referring to the LDS Dark Horse prophecy.  That hangin' by a thread stuff sounds like a Mapleton John Birch Club meeting, where they serve finger sandwiches (but only from the right hand).

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2012 - 3:37AM #5
MMCSFOX

I was just trying to think of all the laws that the President can enact. Does anybody know how many?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2012 - 6:30AM #6
MysticWanderer

Jul 24, 2012 -- 3:37AM, MMCSFOX wrote:

I was just trying to think of all the laws that the President can enact. Does anybody know how many?

The President can enact ZERO laws.  Laws must be passed by the Congress and then signed or vetoed by the President and if vetoed may then be passed by a supermajority over that veto.  The president may issue executive orders pursuant to laws passed by the Congress which may be counteracted by the same Congress visa legislation.  And all laws and executive orders may be reviewed and overturned on the basis of constitutionality by the Supreme Court.  It's that balance of power thing.

"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R.Tolkein
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. ~Anne Lamott
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."
Friedrich von Schiller
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2012 - 2:13PM #7
MMCSFOX

Thanks Mystic, you have put that very well. It's that balance of power thing.” As I focus on one thing I tend to forget other important things, like Congress. I tend to keep a close watch on my City Council and just an e-mail or two to my Congressman. I know that my Congressman is as important to the life of our country as the President, yet I generally contact my Congressman only when I need him to provide a certificate of recognition of service for a club member or some other things his staff deals with. So let us not forget local as we think national. I think that more LDS getting involved in local government would be a good thing. An example here, in Burbank we always follow the national day of prayer with our Mayors prayer breakfast, sponsored by local service Clubs, (and we do fill the hall each time) but was begun many years ago while we had an LDS Mayor.

Jesse Fox

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2012 - 3:58PM #8
MysticWanderer

That is one of the major problems in our republic today, everybody gets all worked up about the presidential elections and does not really look at their own congressman or senators.   These people enact the laws and pass the budgets, yet presidential candidates promise the world but must go hat in hand to Congress for anything domestic.  Also people listen to the speeches and promises but do not follow the record.  Personally I vote against all incumbents, they have all had their chance.  Just fire the entire government once and watch how fast they work to find solutions.

"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R.Tolkein
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. ~Anne Lamott
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."
Friedrich von Schiller
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook