Switch to Forum Live View I am confused about oathbreaking.
2 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2012 - 10:50AM #1
DavidH
I have not been a Heathen very long. I am new to Asatru.

I used to be a Christian. i am definitely not anymore.  I read about how murderers and oathbreakers go to a place of punishment when they die.

When I first decided to be a Heathen I prayed to the gods and from what I remember I dedicated myself to them.  I changed my mind later and didn't believe for a little while. I now truly believe in the gods of Asatru.

I am wondering if me dedicating myself to the gods and then going back on it by not believing before if that makes me an oathbreaker to the gods and if i'm going to go to Nifelhel when i die. Even though I believe now again I am afraid i'm a techinical oathbreaker and I don't want to be doomed when I die. I have faith that i'm not going to be but i'm still really worried. 

Any advice would be very helpful.  Thank you.   
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2012 - 9:53PM #2
gorm-sionnach

Not being an Asatruar, I can only comment on your predicament to the extent I understand the theology behind it. Generally though, restitution to those you have wronged through the sundering of your oaths would be the first step to getting right with the gods and restoring frith.

It may take some time, but there are a few Asatruar`s who post with some regularity, who should be able to give you a proper answer.

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 26, 2012 - 3:20PM #3
John_T_Mainer

One of the problems that a lot of new heathens have when they come to the ancestral way is that they attempt to treat it like a religion, because it has aspects of that, and attempt to hold themselves to standards of obedience and reverence that were never a part of our ancestral practice.

Ours is the only faith in which the gods themselves advise us that it is better to sacrifice never, than too often.  Indeed, if you look at the Hamaval, which is inspired by Odin, the high one himself, on how to live properly, the work spends most of its time showing how to build and maintain relationships with your fellows in the community.    

We are our deeds.  From the time you dedicated yourself to our gods, you luck and honour, your worth, began to be measured by these harsh standards.  The gods are less concerned by how often you rememberd them at sumbel, and more concerned with how you met your challenges, how you fulfilled your obligations, what honour your deeds have brought to your name, and what contributions you have made to your community.

The rituals and practice of our faith, the community of our own; these things bring with them great rewards to us, but they are not the core of who we are, and what the gods look for us to do.  Fulfill your family obligations, become the man your potentials hint you could be, stretch to become the leader, the peace-maker, the builder of community.  Become the person those around you can depend on.  This is how you build worth.

When you raise a horn to the gods and ancestors, remember the purpose of the bragaful.  To boast and brag you must speak of the oaths you have made that you have achieved, and receive praise for them, you must speak of the oaths you have made that you have not fulfilled, and own the shame of them.  You must then offer your brags of what you will do to make right the broken oaths.  Remember the sagas are filled with men and women who were driven by their oaths to achieve great things; if you read closer, few enough of them fulfilled all of their oaths.  They acheived worth by setting the bar high, and rising to meet it.  The gods do not expect you to win every battle, do not expect you to reach every goal or ambition.  They do expect you to try, to learn from each battle, to become stronger or wiser that the next time you either reach for a better chosen goal, or reach farther in a different way to achieve the old goal.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2012 - 2:59PM #4
Sacrificialgoddess

Jul 19, 2012 -- 10:50AM, DavidH wrote:

I have not been a Heathen very long. I am new to Asatru.

I used to be a Christian. i am definitely not anymore.  I read about how murderers and oathbreakers go to a place of punishment when they die.

When I first decided to be a Heathen I prayed to the gods and from what I remember I dedicated myself to them.  I changed my mind later and didn't believe for a little while. I now truly believe in the gods of Asatru.

I am wondering if me dedicating myself to the gods and then going back on it by not believing before if that makes me an oathbreaker to the gods and if i'm going to go to Nifelhel when i die. Even though I believe now again I am afraid i'm a techinical oathbreaker and I don't want to be doomed when I die. I have faith that i'm not going to be but i'm still really worried. 

Any advice would be very helpful.  Thank you.   

Be honest with the gods. Think of it as a first date. Lots of communication. Maybe a few kisses. Not all the way of course, because you're not a ho. Dedicate yourself to learning about the gods, rather than the gods themselves. Believe me, the gods will let you know which ones consider you theirs. They will do it in a way you can't miss. And if you are being particularly stupid, look out for a clue by four. Odin doesn't suffer fools gladly. But he doesn't punish unjustly. Honesty goes a long way with the gods. As well as with yourself. :)

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2012 - 8:24PM #5
John_T_Mainer

Remember; you are not the first newbie, you will not be the first to make newbie errors.  The rest of us are still alive and not notably cursed so you can assume the gods know us as we are, not as we like to think we should be.  Don't worry.  We are all works in progress.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook