Switch to Forum Live View LDS Apologist on Climate Change Truth
2 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2012 - 7:02AM #1
Acts 28:22
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2012 - 9:12PM #2
MMCSFOX

Good piece, well worth watching all the way through.

Jesse F.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2012 - 9:18PM #3
moksha8088

That was a pretty soft rebuff of media that will validate questionable claims in order to comply with their political philosophy.  Unfortunately that rebuff was aimed at both some Utah media as well as media often quoted by Mormons as being fair and balanced. When Dr. Bickmore described such news as catering to what people want to hear, rather than factual evidence, I said to myself "Land O' Goshen!".  I hope Dr. Bickmore has not injured his career at BYU.

Acts, why did you say that he was an LDS apologist?

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2012 - 10:29PM #4
MMCSFOX

"I hope Dr. Bickmore has not injured his career at BYU.”

Moksha, is the above a slap at all academics, just BYU academics or simply recognizing that all of us ALWAYS have a tendency to only believe and trust what WE WANT to believe and trust, then criticize those who disagree with us. Of course all of this does help to make our turn here interesting.Cool

Below I submit one thought from the Roycroft dictionary:

Liar: 1) "One who tells the truth about something that never happened; hence, a poet, a preacher, a politician, or an Arctic explorer. 2) An expert witness on the side of the Prosecution, or any witness called by the Defense. 3) One who reasons far ahead of his time; a seer. (As all combinations of facts must occur in endless time, the liar, no matter how absurd his statement, is uttering a truth, because he is stating a fact that has occurred or will occur at some future date. Thus, a liar, in the sense of one who utters a falsehood, can be said, strictly speaking, to exist. As dirt is merely nectar in the process of evolving, so a liar is an observer born out of his time. He is the victim of a divine prank.)"

FROM: “believe it or not 7-16-12” "Sarcasm can stimulate complex thinking skills”

Tongue Out

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2012 - 10:59PM #5

Jul 16, 2012 -- 9:18PM, moksha8088 wrote:

Acts, why did you say that he was an LDS apologist?

Because he is an apologist, look him up on SHIELDS and FAIR

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2012 - 11:04PM #6
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2012 - 8:47PM #7
moksha8088

"When Dr. Bickmore described such news as catering to what people want to hear, rather than factual evidence, I said to myself "Land O' Goshen!".  I hope Dr. Bickmore has not injured his career at BYU."

In every academic institution one needs to be somewhat politically astute.  Challenging the powers that be in Utah County might have negative repercussions, at least from a last 20 years perspective. If riled too badly, I suppose Lord Farquadd from Parliament (you need to watch the presentation in the OP to catch that one and be up on the aftermath of Michael Moore speaking at UVU) could be brought in to speak at Utah Valley University, to reassert the deniability of climate change.

BYU has reacted to outspoken staff and faculty in mixed ways.  The last I recall was a Professor Bott who gave an uncorrelated interview this year explaining the traditional Church position on the Priesthood Ban and then took an abrupt retirement.  The one before that was Jeffery Nielson who expressed his opinion about Proposition 8 in the Salt Lake Tribune and was immediately sacked.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2012 - 10:20PM #8
MMCSFOX

The trouble with the internet is that it is easy to look up items of interest. I simply took Mokshas note about Jeffery Nielson being immediately sacked and found: 

“A Brigham Young University part-time instructor who recently called into question the LDS Church's opposition to gay marriage. In his pointed Tribune references to the church's ongoing dishonesty about its own history, and increasingly ridiculous (in light of the internet) attempts at monopolizing information about itself, Nielsen basically paints the church as the kind of organization his book criticizes.”

After reading more of this person it seems that he has had public ongoing complaints about the Church I wonder that he was kept on at all and not sacked some time ago.  In the article he notes that even his wife does not agree with him. As concerned parents we send our kids to schools that will instill honesty, ethics and truth in all things with a hope of them coming away as critical thinkers, not as clones of some self important ego inflated “dr. god.”

Actually continuing my reading about him I am reminded more of a Juvenile sea squirt.

As an afterthought it should be well noted that in any organization people do not get canned for ideas but continued failure to follow agreed upon rules of their employment. Sadly many feel that they are better than others and do not need to do that. After all, rules are for others and not them.  "2006 The (firing)news came in a letter from Daniel Graham, chair of the philosophy department at BYU. BYU instructors and employees contract themselves to not criticize the church as a condition of their employment. Nielsen was subsequently released from his duties in his local church congregation as well."

Jesse F.

Now I will shut up.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2012 - 12:39AM #9
moksha8088

Reader's can look at Jeffrey Nielsen's article here: www.sltrib.com/search/ci_3896635

A fuller view of the issue can be found in the Wikipedia:  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Nielsen

More on the bravery of Dr. Barry Bickmore:  bbickmore.wordpress.com/orrin-hatch/

bbickmore.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/my-re...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2012 - 1:13AM #10
MMCSFOX

I suggest that if one wants a wider view one needs to search it out yourself and not waste time on directed searches.

Still we will always have those who only believe what they want to believe and then try to influence others. I guess that part of my judgment is that this self important ##### knowingly violated his sworn employment for some time. That is he continued to let BYU pay and support him while he was engaged in doing his part to destroy BYU and the Church that gave him his daily substance. I think that if he had any ethics or honesty he would have resigned and then he could be free to do as he pleased without complaint. Sadly I guess that he simply followed someone else as do many today. I think today that we are simply warriers for the truth and as Henry the 5 spoke “And gentlemen in England now a-bed Shall think themselves accursed they were not here, And hold their manhood’s cheap whiles any speaks That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day. As I watch around me today I see vast changes for god and evil. I think that we need to always fight for what we believe and while considering many different ideas I hope that one will develop a well founded ability to see through self importance and come to a truth that you will be able to see fit to present to the courts on high. I am done with this now.

I think that I will post the battle of Agincourt next as I feel it is good to be reminded of things both bad and good.

Jesse F.

Yes I think that there will always be those who have leaarned to dance in the rain while other will just get wet.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook