Switch to Forum Live View Probably a Really Stupid and Bigoted Question, but...
2 years ago  ::  Jun 19, 2012 - 7:55PM #1
wdalasio
So, beliefnet just idetntified me as a Unitarian Univeralist.  That seems really weird.  I'm an ex-Catholic and a very strong conservative (of the Goldwater->Reagan->Paul tradition).  Now, i married my wife in a Unitarian church and I known the way conservatives are viewed.  I don't care if people are gay.  I don't care if they have abortions (okay, I'm not comfortable with late-term but that's a discussion of humanity) .  But the same principles make me abhor "soak the rich" or "social justice".  I believe in a god and want to find a spiritual home.  I want a religion.  I DON'T want to whore myself to it.  Am I being to close-minded?  I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2012 - 12:54AM #2
Wulf

You probably have more company than you think.  My background is Jewish though my wife is a lifelong Unitarian.  The conservative UUs generaly hide in the shadows and don't reveal themselves often.  I am known in our community as a conservative and every so often someone will agree with me on some social issue or admit their NRA membership to me.   There is a place for you even if it is to bring a different point of view to the subject at hand.   

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2012 - 11:32AM #3
RevDorris

Welcome to the UU forum.  You will find people with many different views.  Here you will find many that share your views. 

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2012 - 6:35PM #4
MsTopaz

Jun 19, 2012 -- 7:55PM, wdalasio wrote:

But the same principles make me abhor "soak the rich" or "social justice".

You abhor "social justice?" What does that mean? You favor social injustice?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2012 - 12:24AM #5
Wulf

Social Justice can often be a euphemism for equality of outcomes.  Some people feel that not only does everone deserve an equal oportunity but they deserve an equal outcome.  In this context, I abhor it too.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook