We can learn from history and the sins of Nephites

Deseret News article by Daniel Peterson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2012 - 1:56AM #2
MMCSFOX

We can learn from history and the sins of Nephites
Deseret News article by Daniel Peterson

Good article. But will we learn? Each morning as I read my newspaper I wonder.

Yet I was just thinking of Arturo Flores, a past resident of the Optimist Youth Home  who did one year in college after leaving the Home, then 5 years in the Marines and now is working with the youth at the Home.

Go to the Homes web site to read more of Arturo. WWW.OYHFS.ORG

Jesse F.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 8:05PM #3
BillThinks4Himself
After leaving "the mission field" to serve a two-year mission in Utah - followed by 6.5 years of life at BYU - I have to say that Mormons are a loving and decent people, who are amiable and virtuous - for the most part - but who also suppress certain aspects of themselves, to the point that they are often unaware of their own blindspots.

Of course, the whole religion is based on a tacit understanding of this, which is why even a "prophet" has to pick two "counselors" to form a Mormon "presidency."  It's also why the First Presidency has to bring its message to the Quorum of the Twelve, which is not a lower level of a pyramid scheme.  While the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve are not as conflicted as the White House and Congress, there is definitely a dignity to the QT that has it engaging in something akin to the Senate, in its oversight of the president.  A cordial relationship exists between these two bodies, but respect is counterbalanced by a certain expectation.

I could be wrong about this, but I get the definite impression that the president of the LDS Church would hesitate to simply dump a mandate upon the QT.

But even if I'm wrong, at the GA level, Mormons are a highly collective people at the local level.  There's a lot of groupthink based on the idea that the group is able to restrain the impulses of the individual.

But when it comes to the frailties of humanity, these frailties exist at all levels.  If individuals can be arrogant or impulsive, groupthink is not always right, either.  One of the hurdles I encountered, in Utah, was the ready assumption that the familiar must be doctrinal.  Many prejudices were assumed to be part of the Restored Gospel.  Some of these idiocies - like hostile attitudes towards darker races - were so obviously bogus that I wondered how they could gain any traction among civilized people.

I suspect that what I found so utterly icky was equally repugnant to men in ruby red chairs.  They, however, were more reserved about how to address these failings while maintaining ties of amity, particularly when such mental nonsense found its way into the minds of the rich, the powerful and the "brethren."
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook