Page 5 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View inaccurate information about Baha'i
2 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2012 - 12:11AM #41
in_my_opinion

Jun 6, 2012 -- 9:10PM, world citizen wrote:

Jun 4, 2012 -- 8:37PM, Mercyonme wrote:

...on the other hand, I just found that Baha'i apologetics book on amazon used for $242....

Oh well...I'll keep that on my birthday list :-)

If you're talking about the book I mentioned, Making the Crooked Straight, you can find the hardcover NEW (862 pages) for $69.95 direct from the George Ronald website.

Nice work; guess that's why they pay you the big bucks, World! Laughing

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2012 - 1:37AM #42
Sen_McGlinn

Jun 6, 2012 -- 9:13PM, world citizen wrote:

???  Not the Ocean at my disposal... 

I downloaded mine quite recently.

"Today apology prevails in forensics, politics, teaching and certainly in advocacy journalism. Apology is implicit in the praise and maintenance of any socio-political system and/or world view. Indeed, David J. Krieger writes that the situation of 'radical pluralism' today is an outcome of 'apologetic universalism' in which both Christian theology and secular humanism (ironically), and indeed all western thinking are based on the 'apologetic method'.[10] Faced with what he sees as the collapse of both, Krieger seeks 'presuppositions for a global theology',[11] which seems to be increasingly taking the form of a new apologetic for a global society in which pluralism is increasingly becoming the norm.
.......... [10. Krieger, op. cit. pp. 17f.]
.......... [11. ibid. pp. 37-44.]

{Making the Crooked Straight} presents itself as a variation of 'answering theology'. In Paul Tillich's monumental three-volume work, [Systematic Theology},[12] answering theology forms part of the method of 'correlation', a method that is basically apologetic. In {A History of Christian Thought} Tillich writes: 'This is the apologetic form of theology which I use in my own  xix  systematic theology, that is, the correlation between question and answer.'[13]

(German Scholarship, Making the Crooked Straight, p. xviii [Jack McLean's intro])

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2012 - 11:00AM #43
world citizen

Jun 7, 2012 -- 1:37AM, Sen_McGlinn wrote:

"Today apology prevails in forensics, politics, teaching and certainly in advocacy journalism. Apology is implicit in the praise and maintenance of any socio-political system and/or world view. Indeed, David J. Krieger writes that the situation of 'radical pluralism' today is an outcome of 'apologetic universalism' in which both Christian theology and secular humanism (ironically), and indeed all western thinking are based on the 'apologetic method'.[10] Faced with what he sees as the collapse of both, Krieger seeks 'presuppositions for a global theology',[11] which seems to be increasingly taking the form of a new apologetic for a global society in which pluralism is increasingly becoming the norm.

{Making the Crooked Straight} presents itself as a variation of 'answering theology'. In Paul Tillich's monumental three-volume work, [Systematic Theology},[12] answering theology forms part of the method of 'correlation', a method that is basically apologetic. In {A History of Christian Thought} Tillich writes: 'This is the apologetic form of theology which I use in my own  xix  systematic theology, that is, the correlation between question and answer.'[13]

(German Scholarship, Making the Crooked Straight, p. xviii [Jack McLean's intro])

Sen,

I thought you were talking about contents of the book itself.  Does the current Ocean have all 800+ pages, excerpts, or merely references to the book?

Blessed is he who mingleth with all men in a spirit of utmost kindliness and love. ~Baha'u'llah
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2012 - 1:23PM #44
Sen_McGlinn

Jun 7, 2012 -- 11:00AM, world citizen wrote:

Jun 7, 2012 -- 1:37AM, Sen_McGlinn wrote:

Sen,

I thought you were talking about contents of the book itself.  Does the current Ocean have all 800+ pages, excerpts, or merely references to the book?

Yes, my version of Ocean has the whole of Making the Crooked Straight. 791 pages.

Hey, a green parakeet just flew past my window. That's not normal in the Netherlands!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2012 - 2:41PM #45
in_my_opinion

Jun 7, 2012 -- 1:23PM, Sen_McGlinn wrote:

Hey, a green parakeet just flew past my window. That's not normal in the Netherlands!

Possibly came over from Belgium. Probably a Monk Parakeet, Myiopsitta monachus. They are green, charismatic, beneficial and prolific.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2012 - 2:56PM #46
Patricklongworth

Anytime you are taking a course (whether you pay for it or it is free) you should be concerned that you are learning correct or accurate knowledge and you should bring it to the school's, the instructor's and to the community's attention.  They may not agree with you saying that they are incorrect but you owe it to yourself, if not to others, to take a stance on this matter.

I would hope that any book claiming to be a Christian book, source or class would be accurate otherwise that throws a bad light on the concerned subject as well as putting Christians in a bad light (fairly or unfairly).  

I admit that I only know of the Baha'i faith from what little I have read and I believe that source was a "Christian apologetic" but it was a small pamphlet that compared all religions in their similarities and differences.  As far as I know, the one I read was accurate and was useful for knowing the differences between the different religions/belief systems; in any case, even if it were inaccurate I didn't put too much weight upon what I learned from it.

I'm in the particular faith I am in partly because of the early training I had as a child but also because someone introduced me to what the faith is and I've read the faith's holy book and accept what it has said and does say whether about the world in general (from a historical angle) or about man and woman and other things of the world.

That the encyclopedia got all its information from nonBaha'i sources definitely discredits the book to a large extent.  

Have a great day,
Patrick 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2012 - 3:35PM #47
in_my_opinion

Welcome to Beliefnet and the Bahá'í fora here, Patricklongworth!

Hope you visit regularly and get to know about the Faith at this site.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2012 - 3:45PM #48
in_my_opinion

May we call you Patrick? (He is one of personal favourite saints.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2012 - 4:51PM #49
Aka_me

Jun 7, 2012 -- 2:56PM, Patricklongworth wrote:

Anytime you are taking a course (whether you pay for it or it is free) you should be concerned that you are learning correct or accurate knowledge and you should bring it to the school's, the instructor's and to the community's attention.  They may not agree with you saying that they are incorrect but you owe it to yourself, if not to others, to take a stance on this matter.

hi Patricklongworth,

that's pretty much the same thing Iron said, and I guess it's true... for the sake of acadamia being as accurate as possible something should be said

As far as I know, the one I read was accurate and was useful for knowing the differences between the different religions/belief systems;

odds are the agenda of who ever wrote it would somehow make the Baha'i Faith look bad. even if it's only lying by omission... in that religious differences are (nearly or always, I'll have to think about this more later) created by humans after the founding prophet has ascended.

the founding prophets often times didn't talk about the same issues, and certainly not to the same audience or even average human intellectual level. for example Moses didn't talk much about the afterlife... causing some believing in Moses to consider good reason for not believing in Jesus.

in any case, even if it were inaccurate I didn't put too much weight upon what I learned from it.

most people with an ounce of common sense would say the same thing, which is exactly what prompted my initial reaction.

the people who think every little flier and pamplet MUST be fixed have a distorted view of reality in how much impact the fliers create in changing people's opinion.

anyway... welcome to our little corner of Bnet.

internet troll... anyone who won't stop posting about bad spelling.
the government KILLS and EXPERIMENTS and TORTURES people, without ever apologizing, being held accountable or punished. and you expect me to believe they've automagically grown a conscience to not continue? like bloody hades they have.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2012 - 3:24PM #50
Patricklongworth

Jun 7, 2012 -- 3:45PM, in_my_opinion wrote:

May we call you Patrick? (He is one of personal favourite saints.)

Hello, yes you may call me Patrick and thank you for your reply and welcome...Saint Patrick is whom I was named after as it happens due to my birthday falling on his day.
Pat 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook