Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Switch to Forum Live View inaccurate information about Baha'i
2 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2012 - 8:20PM #51
Wyodaughter

I did not read all postings on all 5 pages, so if this is repetitive, I apologize -- altho' since no one has posted here recently, that apology may be moot!

I developed and taught a comparative religions class many years ago, and people had the same concern back then.  I advised everyone, and still do, to check their sources for the PUBLISHER!  It's pretty easy these days.  If you are looking for some accurate information on Judaism, then a book published by a Lutheran publishing company may not be your best bet.  If your source book on Zoroastrianism is from a Zoroastrian publishing company in India, it's likely a good source.  Etc., etc.

I can't imagine anyone in America seeking answers about Christianity from a book published by a Muslim publishing house in, say, Saudi Arabia!!  And, likewise, I always urge folks to get their source material on the Baha'i Faith from a Baha'i publishing company, or from the Baha'i World Centre website.  

It is so much easier these days to find this information with the internet.  If the material you are required to read in a class bothers you (on ANY religion), then find something more substantive and provide that information to your professor or within the context of your paper.  I, too (back in the day!), took what was supposed to be a comparative religions class at my very small, very much church-supported college -- which turned out to be the Christian view of all other religions, taught by a former Methodist minister.  Bless his heart, he HEARD my concerns and allowed me to turn in all my papers from "another side of the fence" perspective, and even gave me an A in the class.

Good luck and I hope you learn lots -- as does your class and your prof.!

WYOdaughter

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2012 - 10:09AM #52
world citizen

Welcome back to our forum, wyodaughter!

I notice your entry as being your first post here.  Shame you were away so long that you had to re-register with Beliefnet.

All of the boards are fairly quiet during the summer months, but your post might help resuscitate this particular board within our forum.  Looking forward to hearing from you more often.

Good to have you with us again!  Smile

Blessed is he who mingleth with all men in a spirit of utmost kindliness and love. ~Baha'u'llah
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2012 - 12:15AM #53
in_my_opinion

One of the things to love about the internet is nearly immediate availability of explanation, confirmation or refutation.

Used to be you had to trust that your lecturer was learned enough to know the truth, honest enough to express it without bias and not generally be a lazy hack pushcarting stolen and unusable drivel in a sinecure he had bought corruptly with some part of his soul or purse.

Now, you can not only look up the facts, sort through the controversies and make up your own mind; but also, research your school, the department and its general reputation within the academic community.

Good stuff!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2012 - 8:59PM #54
Mercyonme

Hi Everyone,

I can't remember what I posted on here about this issue, but I did end up writing a lengthy letter to one of the two author's of the text--of whom was a professor at our school.  My professor for my class said it had to go through appropriate "channels"...and it is 2 weeks into new term and I have yet to hear from anyone.  So, probably it will go nowhere, but it will then fall on them and not me.

Peace!  Sarah

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2012 - 9:32PM #55
Ironhold

Good luck.

I've spent the past few years playing "canary in the coal mine" while I get my bachelor's and MBA.

I know full well what you're going through.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook