Switch to Forum Live View ROMNEY DECLARES WAR ON TEACHERS UNIONS...
2 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 5:13PM #1
Acts 28:22
ROMNEY DECLARES WAR ON TEACHERS UNIONS...

...soon after this   Salisbury Post  article and the YouTube video it describes were picked up and went viral.  Anyone think there's a connection?
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 8:24PM #2
moksha8088

The Republican war on the poor, Romney's war on Teacher's Unions, Romney's proposal to do a leveraged buyout of the United States of America to fund private schools....  Many LDS Changes are in store for America.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 9:53PM #3
Ironhold

May 23, 2012 -- 8:24PM, moksha8088 wrote:

The Republican war on the poor, Romney's war on Teacher's Unions, Romney's proposal to do a leveraged buyout of the United States of America to fund private schools....  Many LDS Changes are in store for America.

Sadly, in some communities the teachers' unions care more for maintaining their own power than in actually ensuring that kids learn anything.

In other communities, the faculty just don't care enough about the kids to do a proper job of things. For example, the principal of the high school I went to only cared about his job; between this and several of the campus police officers being incompetent, we students were effectively on our own.

Charter schools and home-schooling are about the only options left short of a concerted efforts to break school administration after school administration.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 8:56AM #4
Acts 28:22

My question was more about the timing of it.  I'm not surprised at Romney's stance, I'm just wondering if he thought that the viral YouTube video's coming about might have moved it up a bit. Anyone?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 28, 2012 - 11:01AM #5
Ironhold

May 27, 2012 -- 11:54PM, BillThinks4Himself wrote:

If you have had problems with your local school, I would encourage you to not withdraw from the system but to challenge it. 

Dude, the place was Thunder Dome.

You couldn't even eat in the cafeteria some days because there were just that many fights.

I even had to stop eating in one of the commons areas (land of "human-size holes in the walls") because someone came at me from behind.

I finally made it a point to just sneak out back ASAP (there was a major breach in their security protocols; thankfully, no one who meant harm figured it out) and chill with some of the other JROTC students. The underclassman might have given me lip on the field, but they knew better than to actually try anything face-to-face.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 28, 2012 - 6:43PM #6
moksha8088

Iron, too bad you did not attend my daughter's Middle School.  They are making a tremendous effort to eliminate any bullyiing.

BTW, I recommend reading the book Labor's Untold Story in order to fully understand unions.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 11:48AM #7
Ironhold

Thing is, that's the only high school in the city.

No matter how badly overcrowded it gets, the city refuses to build another one and instead keeps expanding on the property.

Moderated by Stardove on Jun 11, 2012 - 10:33PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 2:23PM #8
MMCSFOX

Here in Burbank I have found that our PTA’S in all the schools have large amounts of LDS parents actively involved, also as unpaid classroom Aides. I worked the concession booth for 26 years at the football games along with many other LDS. At 73 I only work an alcohol free Post Prom party at one High School now, but still see many LDS actively engaged.

As a continuing Community College student (forever it seems) I take only night classes where there are other older students like myself. I am currently in the Administration of Justice course of study, no longer needing business classes being well retired, as I have found it interesting. Still over time many of the instructor / professors have gotten to know me and that I am LDS. I do once in a while get the “well Fox, what do the Mormons think about that?” question but all appropriate. Yes, the classes I tend to take are generally taught by instructors, usually semi retired from their field. Over the years I have left, classes after listening to the professor the first night and switched to another subject of interest rather than struggle with various self important prejudices noted at once. That is how I got into the administration of justice classes which has helped me on the Board at the Optimist Youth Home (WWW.OYHFS.ORG)  to better understand the kids that are sent to us by the Courts. They have also helped me to understand instructions by a judge while being on jury’s. I think that it may well be that we are better understood, or put up with, as we maintain a good community presence. For others who are afraid to take classes simply for enjoyment and self learning one may always take classes for no credit until you get the hang of classes again, unless you are trying for graduation or a certificate. I think that what I have experianced is that maintaning a useful presence we become more than accepted in our communities.

Jesse F.

"A clown may be first in the kingdom of Heaven, if he has helped lessen the sadness of human life."

--- Talmud

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook