Switch to Forum Live View responding to a book...
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 6:13PM #1
Ironhold
On Friday I was in the local Goodwill (they often have some great finds there, such as a book I found from WWI) when I spotted what was supposed to be a Q&A book for Catholics written by a guy who runs a pro-Catholic website.

While thumbing through it, I noted that the "comparitive religion" section consisted of, basically, "all faiths but Catholicism are wrong".

For the bit about the Baha'I faith, the guy said the following (note that this was part of a larger response). He screwed up the section about Mormonism, so I'm thinking he probably screwed up this part as well.

I'm thinking about writing in to him about the section he borked, and so I figure that if he goofed this part as well I might just toss it in.

If there are any complaints, let me know.

Thanks.

Regarding Baha'i specifically, it was founded by Mirza Husayn 'Ali Huri, who took another name that means "Glory of God." One of the central tenets of this religion is the "common foundation of all religion." This sounds nice but is an impossibility because of hte fundamental differences among religions. Who determines what "common foundation" means? Is that person or group of people infallible? If not, how can we trust their teachings?

There have been thousands of new faiths that have popped up over the past four hundred years, especially in the last hundred years. In time Baha'i, like most of the others, will fall by the wayside. Only the Catholic Church is founded by God Himself (Mt 16:18; CCC 424) and its teachings will be guided and protected until the end of time (Mt 28:19-20; CCC 860) because it is the only religion established by the God-Man Himself, Jesus Christ.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 5:21PM #2
Aka_me

my opinion is, that is so overly simplified there is simply nothing about it that can be corrected.

it completely leaves out the fact humans create religion, not God.

all the Manifestations (Moses, Jesus,  Muhammad, Buddha, Krishna, Abraham, the Bab, Baha'u'llah) taught spirituality.

and then AFTER they left humans create titles and ritual and dogma (in other words religion) such as:

Buddha didn't create Theravada-Mahayana-Vajrayana Buddhism

Jesus didn't create Catholic-Baptist-Protestant Christianity

Moses didn't create Othodox-Conservative-Reform Judaism

WITHIN each religion... their denominations all share a "common foundation", they differ only by what humans have (mis) interpreted and/or added.

so it is ACROSS the religions.

The UN says the ebola outbreak must be controlled within 60 days or else the world faces an "unprecedented" situation for which there is no plan.
this is absolutely fantastic as it unites the world into being OUR problem rather than THEIR problem.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 10, 2012 - 12:26AM #3
Aka_me

There have been thousands of new faiths that have popped up over the past four hundred years, especially in the last hundred years. In time Baha'i, like most of the others, will fall by the wayside. Only the Catholic Church is founded by God Himself (Mt 16:18; CCC 424) and its teachings will be guided and protected until the end of time (Mt 28:19-20; CCC 860) because it is the only religion established by the God-Man Himself, Jesus Christ.

this is called a conditional probability of the prosecutor's fallacy.

arguing that a person could NOT have won the lottery based on the improbability of winning is a logical flaw.

there is no "logically sound" argument to be made that the Baha'i Faith is not being what it claims to be.

not wanting to believe is perfectly fine.

but can in no way shape or form may it be confused with logically proving the Baha'i Faith is not what it claims to be.

the reverse is also true... there is no "logically sound" argument to be made proving the Baha'i Faith IS what it claims to be.

Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Catechism of the Catholic Church is not a biblical citation.

Matthew 28:19-20 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Jesus did not establish any religion...

He only taught spirituality. and as with ALL religions, humans come along after the fact to establish ritual and dogma giving rise to religion and it's denominations.

The UN says the ebola outbreak must be controlled within 60 days or else the world faces an "unprecedented" situation for which there is no plan.
this is absolutely fantastic as it unites the world into being OUR problem rather than THEIR problem.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 10, 2012 - 12:20PM #4
world citizen

Matthew 28:19-20 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:  Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Given the 'end time' prophesies of the Tanakh (OT) and the NT's Book of Revelation,"end of the world" as cited above from the KJV is a mistranslation but was more probably in keeping with 17th century views of what "end time" or "last days" meant.  Newer versions of the Bible have translations of this verse more in keeping with the original Greek (or Hebrew):

Amplified Bible ...I am with you all the days, to the [very] close and consummation of the age.

New American Standard:  ...I am with you always, even to the end of the age.

New International:  ...And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

New Revised Standard:  ...And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.

The Baha'i view is that the end of the Age (of Prophecy) came with the appearance of the Báb (return of the Spirit of Christ).

No sooner had mankind attained the stage of maturity, than the Word revealed to men's eyes the latent energies with which it had been endowed -- energies which manifested themselves in the plenitude of their glory when the Ancient Beauty appeared, in the year sixty (1260 AH / 1844 CE), in the person of Ali-Muhammad, the Báb.  ("Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá'u'lláh," p. 77)

The Bab, the Lord, the most exalted -- may the life of all be a sacrifice unto Him, -- hath specifically revealed an Epistle unto the divines of every city, wherein He hath fully set forth the character of the denial and repudiation of each of them. "Wherefore, take ye good heed ye who are men of insight!"  (~ Baha'u'llah, "The Kitab-i-Iqan," p. 229)

Blessed is he who mingleth with all men in a spirit of utmost kindliness and love. ~Baha'u'llah
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 3:27AM #5
in_my_opinion

"Regarding Baha'i specifically, it was founded by Mirza Husayn 'Ali Huri, who took another name that means "Glory of God." One of the central tenets of this religion is the "common foundation of all religion." This sounds nice but is an impossibility because of hte fundamental differences among religions. Who determines what "common foundation" means? Is that person or group of people infallible? If not, how can we trust their teachings?
There have been thousands of new faiths that have popped up over the past four hundred years, especially in the last hundred years. In time Baha'i, like most of the others, will fall by the wayside. Only the Catholic Church is founded by God Himself (Mt 16:18; CCC 424) and its teachings will be guided and protected until the end of time (Mt 28:19-20; CCC 860) because it is the only religion established by the God-Man Himself, Jesus Christ."

It is actually Núrí, the place was called Núr. A húrí (AKA houri) is a metaphorical pure feminine spirit in the poetry of Islam.

"impossibility"? Are miracles impossible? They still happen don't they?

"fundamental differences"? What about fundamental likenesses such as the Golden Rule and an infinite number virtues that are agreed upon as good and Godly by all Faiths?

"... infallible?" Yes, the person of every "... Prophet like unto Moses." is indeed infallible.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook