Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
2 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2012 - 8:11PM #11
Namchuck

Jul 4, 2012 -- 1:09PM, Myownpath wrote:

Regarding the off topic conversation of New Thought. I told you how many times, Namchuck, that new thought is about an individual changing their own perception and way they view life! It has nothing to do with the information, ideas, books, or stuff outside of the person. If you disliked someone because you thought that they were rude and then one day you realized that the person was actually ill and was acting out because of a chemical reaction. You would have a shift in your view of this person ---- a new thought, a new outlook on the situation, a new opinion... If someone were to accept the reality of Higgs and say "Oh my! the beginnings of life is totally different from my view of the world being 6K years old." They would have a new thought! a new mindset and view of the world that would effect it from this point forward! Stop it Namchuck! Stop it! Yes I get your view, but just stop it!

Regarding the materials that the metaphysical religion of NT uses. Many are centuries old. They are adapted from the Bible, and many other religious texts. Unity has admitted that they cherry picked all the best teachings from the world's religions. You could even find a little paganism if you look. The formation of NT as a formal belief system occured back in about the 1880s maybe as early as 1840s.

These are two separate issues.

You sound almost hysterical, Myownpath! The lay off doesn't seem to have done you any good.

And, no, if I disliked someone because of rude behavior and then discovered that there was a chemical disorder laying at its base, it would lead to a "shift in view" of them, but that wouldn't necessarily constitute a "new thought".

There is no 'new thought" in that "formal belief system" you refer to above. It is the cherry-picking of old thought simply masquerading as new. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2012 - 8:20PM #12
Myownpath

...and I see you're up to your usual... I'm just checking in and will be along my merry way...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2012 - 8:26PM #13
Namchuck

Jul 4, 2012 -- 8:20PM, Myownpath wrote:

...and I see you're up to your usual... I'm just checking in and will be along my merry way...

Perhaps you can give me a new thought? Undecided

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2012 - 8:38PM #14
Myownpath

We already had this conversation ...how long ago?

Happy Higgs Boson Day!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2012 - 8:41PM #15
Namchuck

Jul 4, 2012 -- 8:38PM, Myownpath wrote:

We already had this conversation ...how long ago?

Happy Higgs Boson Day!

Same to you...and let's hope that it is!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2012 - 7:47PM #16
MsTopaz

Jul 4, 2012 -- 12:58PM, Myownpath wrote:

Ugh! This article perfectly points out so many problems with New Thought. It really is arrogant isn't it? I recall this BS when I attended Unity. The minister was aware of some of this and tried to curtail it, but it still came up. At least in traditional religions people would say "I'm so sorry that you are ill, can I do anything for you. I'd like to cook a meal for you to help lighten your load." No in NT it is your fault, you created it. Since your still in Unity. Grab their eyeglasses and run away with them. Then throw an analogy at them. You are so unaware of true spiritual principles that you attracted me to manifest literal blindness into your own life. I felt called to remove your eyeglasses." I'm just kidding, but you can think this secretly think this the next time someone puts on the" I'm more spiritually advanced than you are" hat.

Yes! I love that traditional religions emphasize taking care of each other. I hate the victim-blaming in New Thought.

And it is very tempting to employ your eye glasses stealing technique, ha, ha!

A a few years ago I went with a friend to see a speaker whom she admired greatly. He used Landmark Forum tactics to demand people fill out forms to a workshop whether or not they were going to attend. His pressure was relentless and made me feel uncomfortable and I recognized this bullying from my experience with the Forum. He was an attractive man even though he was drinking his blue whatever juice and put on a fake forced smile - the type of smile that is limited to the outside of the mouth and not the eyes or whole face. He talked about how he lost everything and regained it. He talked about his house, his car, his relationships, everything was peachy. How talked how he had abundance in every aspect of his life. (He made his living doing these workshops and books telling others how to do well in life.) He seemingly invented nothing, created nothing, discovered nothing. He simply told everyone else how to make a living. I sat in my seat looking at this quack and hoped my friend would snap out of her being so enamoured by him and his book. He told everyone how they needed to take this workshop with him. He claimed that he knew how to help everyone. At the break, she got in line for him to sign her book and he verbally slammed her when he found out she was not taking his workshop. She returned to he seat mortified and I was so proud that she came to her senses and saw through him. I told her I was happy that she was able to see that this man is full of BS. I told her that I predicted that this (Unity) man would one day have another fall that will be greater than the one he explained to the group and would lose everything.

I had a very similar experience at a Unity-sponsored workshop. It was so disturbing that it makes me question the type of company that Unity church leaders keep. I was aghast at the high pressure sales tactics. The workshop leader was someone who only escaped prison time by agreeing to pay back $10M she "borrowed" from church members and she had to agree never to run a church or other non-profit organization ever again. So now she is a "life coach." And she has paid back less than one penny of every dollar taken. Gag.

Today James Authur Ray is in prison for killing three people during the sweatlodge workshop that he was trying to sell to the group. I saw firsthand how he pressured people to even sign up for the workshop and made them feel like idiots if they did not. I am not surprised that he bullied people to stay in the lodge while he stood outside encouraging them to continue though some were dying inside. I understand that he was unable to properly respond when he was fully aware of the seriousness of the matter. It's as if he clicked into denial.

The fact is that he did not care about the individuals in the room I sat in, he cared more about impressing the group.  I recently read the following: Harley Brown on phonies -- "I started out believing in those strutting, pompous types who came into my life. Eventually I learned to spot them. You can too. They are very smooth, and what they say and what they promise to do for you sounds too good to be true. It generally is. A dead giveaway is anyone whose approach is base on impressing you rather than being interested in you." That goes for people who try to impart their great metaphysical knowledge and understanding to you. If they are not coming to your door with a dish of rigitoni in hand or offering to help you out - without questions or comments - take a second look at their motives. Words are empty, actions speak volumes.

Yep!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2012 - 10:33AM #17
Myownpath

I had a very similar experience at a Unity-sponsored workshop. It was so disturbing that it makes me question the type of company that Unity church leaders keep. I was aghast at the high pressure sales tactics. The workshop leader was someone who only escaped prison time by agreeing to pay back $10M she "borrowed" from church members and she had to agree never to run a church or other non-profit organization ever again. So now she is a "life coach." And she has paid back less than one penny of every dollar taken. Gag.

The name Mary Manin Morrissey comes to mind... The minister of my first Unity church also had financial issues and was in complete denial of how she ran the church. At an annual members meeting, she "excommunicated" a group of people who were trying to get the church's books in order. Among the group were the largest contributors to the church. It was rumored that one woman tithed about $90K per year. Imagine giving millions to the church and then being kicked out when you try to help out with the legitimacy of the records. It's called delusional arrogance.The church literally split overnight.

I recall two guest speakers who claimed that they healed their own medical issues. Both individuals (with lots of plastic surgery or permanent "deer in the headlights" look on their faces) listed off the diseases that they "themselves healed." The woman claimed to have healed MS and her husband/partner claimed a list of about seven diseases including Cancer (show off) We both know darned well that either they were misdiagnosing themselves, in remission, or were seeing doctors. The lack of authenticity coming from the gentleman was quite observable. I often wonder why the church associated and allowed them to even come. 

I recall someone saying how it was a miracle that a particular person was healed of Cancer. I responded "I wonder what would have happened if she did not seeing a doctor?" We also had a speaker who commented that he healed himself. After you listen to his story, he had nearly thirty surgeries to correct his health issue. Again, what if no doctor was involved?

If I were to offer you one suggestion, it would be to start a "source of gratitude" journal. Everytime something good comes into your life, jot down the source or person that made this possible. For instance, if you're having a problem and X comes into your life and helps resolve it. State that you are thankful that X helped you with your challenge. If your in a plane crash and the pilot lands the plane in the Hudson River, state, I am thankful that Sully was trained and skilled in landing airplanes in water. If you are having a medical challenge and the doctor is not helping, find another. If someone is holding you back, search out a different person. When the correct person comes along, acknowledge that this person has helped you out. If you're eating dinner, give thanks to the people who prepared the food, havested the vegetables, packaged, shipped and drove them to the supermarket. Give thanks to the cow that has given its life for you to feed upon it. Frequently, we do not give credit to where credit is due.

So what does giving appropriate credit and thanks have to do with bullies? People help people. If you keep that journal, you will learn that other people are at the source of our good and misfortune. You say that you are looking for a job and someone chimes in that they know of an opening. That one person's insight could lead you to a job and totally change your financial status in life and in turn totally change your entire life. Total cost $0. Bully's advice, a big headache, guilt and no concrete results. Big name bully's total cost $50-$5K or so. But your still left doing the legwork. Never underestimate how an environmental change, person, or change outside of yourself can positively or negatively impact your life. I am very thankful for my current job position, without it I could not afford housing, food, travel, and would be struggling.

Bullies do not try to help people, they simply try to impart or force their idea of wisdom  upon you (usually with a smile on their face) without getting to know you long term. (They may actually try to get to know you, but it is usually under a set of invisible rules that you best not cross.) No effort is needed on their part, but they expect rewards and accolades for expressing their opinion. Even just expressing their opinion sometimes is enough to make themselves feel good. Run from them. On the other hand, the people that help you - embrace them and tell them you are so thankful for what they have done for you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2012 - 2:11PM #18
MsTopaz

Jul 21, 2012 -- 10:33AM, Myownpath wrote:

The name Mary Manin Morrissey comes to mind...

Bingo!

Jul 21, 2012 -- 10:33AM, Myownpath wrote:

If I were to offer you one suggestion, it would be to start a "source of gratitude" journal. Everytime something good comes into your life, jot down the source or person that made this possible. 

You are preaching to the choir. I have taught workshops on gratitude and the benefits of keeping a gratitude journal. Good advice, though...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2012 - 6:32PM #19
Myownpath

Good, The only difference if that when I give gratitude I am acknowledging the person, their humanity, and their good deed directly and not some "light" or spirit within.

Yep, such an unskilled decision from MM Morrissey. If it were any other type of business and if she didn't offer a plea, she would be in prison. So now she is offering advice to other people......? It is interesting how businesses hire other successful business people to consult, yet some people will hire life coaches who have made an illegal faux pas of this magnitude.

Call me a realist, but everyone who legitimately became successful did it through talent, knowledge, effort, luck, or through the help of other people. I have never seen something worthwhile happen in a snap. There are no truly good shortcuts or magic formula. People like these gurus are selling unsubstantiated hope at a high price.

If MMM has paid pennies on the dollar, keep in mind that she is earning the money doing what she previously did as a minister. It seems as if she and most gurus have no real skills except telling other people how to live their lives. I recall one guy saying how we was fired from every other job he had, but this gig finally stuck. This is very sad.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2012 - 10:42PM #20
MsTopaz

Jul 22, 2012 -- 6:32PM, Myownpath wrote:

Good, The only difference if that when I give gratitude I am acknowledging the person, their humanity, and their good deed directly and not some "light" or spirit within.

I don't disagree. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook