Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
2 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2012 - 4:09PM #31
RavenNightsong

Hello everyone!

I am new here. I just discovered this forum today and I am finding it very interesting reading.

While I would agree with alot of you all are saying about bullies in New Thought, I would also add a word of caution about placing more emphasis on traditional churches above New Thought.

I am from a very traditional Christian background, I was a licensed/ordained minster and found much the same things as you describe here in many traditional churches as well.

In both New Thought and traditional churches you have many of the same issues.

I have seen many people turned away in traditional churches when they were in deseparate need of help because "they weren't a member or the church.. or they didn't tithe enough or any at all.... or they have a lack of faith and need to pray more... or they are being punished for some sin". I seen people who were sick ask if someone could come help while they recover only to be turned away. I have seen people grieving over a loss in their life without being given one ounce of help or support. All this in traditional churches.

Whereas since coming to New Thought, I have seen people helped, supported and given hope in the midst of crisis, and no, not with with a fake smile and a "think positive" catch phrase. I am talking about food baskets, places to stay when homes were flooded, people you could call in the middle of the night when you are grieving over the loss of a loved one. These things I see in New Thought churches, and things I very rarely seen in traditional churches.

Traditional churches also have "guru's" come for revivals and such just like New Thought churches, and there are just as many "bullies" in traditional churches as there are in New Thought.

Not all New Thought or traditional churches out there are bad. There are good ones out there but they are few and far between in both paths. Please don't think one is better than the other. Neither are perfect just as none of us are perfect.

I just wanted give my thought on this since so many mentioned traditional churches.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2012 - 6:51PM #32
Myownpath

Raven, Heaven on earth will be the day that people help people without any agenda. That will take a secular world in which all people are seen as individuals and not part of one group or another or one religion or another. "People helping people" what a refreshing idea. Cue John Lennon singing Imagine.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2013 - 1:24PM #33
sharingiscaring

Hello,

I read the article on New Age or New Thought bullying and agree with what I read.  I have been bullied by those who proclaimed that one can control all aspects of his or her life, including but not limited to killings, freak accidents, disease, illness, joblessness etc..  These folks like to play the blame game with EVERY single thing that happens in life.  Wow!  There's no compassion or empathy, rather a self righteous attitude.  Kinda of reminds me of  the People's Temple cult.   For example an individual who attended the same Spiritual Center that I use to was really down on his luck.  He had no food and was barely surviving.   I gave him what I could to help him out. Another member proclaimed to be very spiritual but every chance he had, he ridiculed this person and gossiped about him.  Very strange because these same folks talked about non-judging, love and light however actions spoke louder than words.    

I seemed to have gotten swept up in this.  However, try as I could I could not control everything in my life which made me depressed and I wondered what I was doing wrong. I was self-blaming.  I couldn't figure it out.   I was often told by others in the teaching that my consciousness was warped or I was to blame for every single thing that happened in my life good and bad. On some level "yes", however sometimes things just happened.    My question to them was, if you control everything, there's no need for God.  No answer.   It seemed to me that the doctrine changed to suit the new thought person, so that the person was right in all cases. 

This thinking is so dangerous and I am thankful that I had the sense to remove myself and see through the BS. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2013 - 2:31PM #34
Jupiter6208

There's fundamentalism in every Religion sad to say.

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2013 - 8:05AM #35
Myownpath

Good for you sharingiscaring, as a atheist, I truly believe that people help people. Somewhere in what we call a miracle, a person has stepped in, a doctor, a friend, an organization. Some people can change their outlook and attitude and people will then accept and foster the more "positive" person, but it takes a special person that can see beyond a person's anger, loss, and difficult personality, or difficult time, to step in and lend a helping hand. This attitude of spiritual superiority will bite the person sooner or later. Most all of us will die of an accident or illness, the few who die peacefully tend to have a genetic advantage of longevity. Loss is NOT necessarily a reflection of someone's mindset.

There are different views about God some view God outside themselves and see God as an intervening God. New Agers generally believe that God is all that there is and is not an intervening God. They tend to believe that you have the "power" of God to manifest good or hardship into your life. Manifesting hardship would mean that they are less spiritual. This is BS. Yes having a positive attitude in life is an advantage. People like happy upbeat people and withdraw from someone in need. That is human nature. If you want to do a con job on someone, your best tool is to use kindness. I watched one of those tv news shows in which someone set up by the TV show blatantly robbed people's homes in broad daylight. He used obvious props like a van and ladder into the second floor window. He kindly told passerbys he was robbing the house. He smiled and started conversations with people. Over a hundreds of people ignored him and one or two called the cops. People prefer someone who kisses up to them over someone who is honest and bluntly tells the truth.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2013 - 11:52AM #36
Yamina

I have experienced unintended cruelness from the people in my New Thought circle of friends.   When "New Thought" becomes The Only Way, without other possibilities, those we can't even fathom, it becomes as dry and useless as other ways.  We, here, on this earth, might be able to experience certain aspects of the Infinite, All There Is, One, whatever you want to call it.  Sometimes I go for Unnameable Wonder, which we don't comprehend.  There are all kinds of dynamics at work in the universe, physical and non-physical.  They all play together and form existence.  When we actually realize that we don't know anything, not The Big things, then we can start becoming the best person that we are.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook