Switch to Forum Live View What is a Neo-Pagan?!?!!?
2 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 9:09AM #1
Caliwebman
Hi all, I took the belief-o-matic having not taken it in years and rate 100% Neo-Pagan. Great. but what is a Neo-Pagan? I'm guessing that a neo-pagan is a new type of pagan who doesn't fall into a more specifically defined pagan sub group? In other words, "Neo-Pagans" have not yet defined their belief and are a work in progress. Can anyone help answer me this question? Perhaps by having my score results might help as well.

My Top 3 Faith Match Profiles Are:

1. NEO-PAGAN  (100%)
2. MAHAYANA BUDDHISM  (95%)
3. UNITARIAN UNIVERSALISM  (92%)

Your help would be appreciated.

Caliwebman
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 6:40AM #2
Karma_yeshe_dorje

Get into a local pagan group. Mine is run by a Druidic guy. And he describes my paganism as eclectic. We've had Wiccan, Asatru, animist etc. people drop by.

In say ancient Rome, paganism was the state religion. Whereas nowadays here it's a religious minority.

Find out who you are, and what you're into. And express that.

Last week I hung a green man wall plaque in my courtyard. I'd painted it up nicely. And it had been for months exhibited in an art gallery.

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 months ago  ::  Dec 26, 2013 - 1:30PM #3
Freestyle

Apr 19, 2012 -- 9:09AM, Caliwebman wrote:

Hi all, I took the belief-o-matic having not taken it in years and rate 100% Neo-Pagan. Great. but what is a Neo-Pagan? I'm guessing that a neo-pagan is a new type of pagan who doesn't fall into a more specifically defined pagan sub group? In other words, "Neo-Pagans" have not yet defined their belief and are a work in progress. Can anyone help answer me this question? Perhaps by having my score results might help as well.

My Top 3 Faith Match Profiles Are:

1. NEO-PAGAN  (100%)
2. MAHAYANA BUDDHISM  (95%)
3. UNITARIAN UNIVERSALISM  (92%)

Your help would be appreciated.

Caliwebman

A Neo-Pagan is someone who adopts certain Pagan beliefs without being Pagan.  That is fine with me, but I must warn you about the label.  Neo-Pagans believe in multiple gods just like the ancient heathens did.  Of course, Hinduism and Shinto do not count because Hindus believe in the gods as manifestations of Brahman (God) while the Shinto believe in one God above many.  We Pagans believe in one God, and Her name is Gaia.  There asre two streams of Paganism: Orthodox and Eclectic.  Orthodox Pagans believe in Gaia as the embodiment of Ultimate Realtiy while Eclectic Pagans believe in Gaia as the Spirit of Ultimate Reality.  Nonetheless, you are welcome to the Pagan community anytime.

Blessed be.

Mew Xacata

P.S. In order to be a Pagan, one must have a spiritual name.  Not all Pagans are formally confirmed.  If there is a new baby in the house, then we can use initiation rituals.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 months ago  ::  Dec 29, 2013 - 7:43PM #4
Karma_yeshe_dorje

Freestyle:

A Neo-Pagan is someone who adopts certain Pagan beliefs without being Pagan.

@%$^!

Modern paganism, also known as contemporary paganism, and neopaganism, is a group of contemporary religious movements influenced by or claiming to be derived from the various historical pagan beliefs of pre-modern Europe.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Pagan

There asre two streams of Paganism: Orthodox and Eclectic.

In my Pagan group, I have met Wiccan, Asatru, Druidic, and Animist folk.

Orthodox Pagans believe in Gaia as the embodiment of Ultimate Realtiy while Eclectic Pagans believe in Gaia as the Spirit of Ultimate Reality.

You're fixated on Gaia!
Discussion in my group, has included:
* feminism;
* runes;
* herbalism;
* sagas;
* shamanism;
* Celtic languages;
* mythology; and
* seasons.

In order to be a Pagan, one must have a spiritual name.

My handle here, is Tibetan Buddhist.

Not all Pagans are formally confirmed.

Indeed, for example scoring on the Belief-O-Matic test, and arriving here!

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 months ago  ::  Jan 08, 2014 - 7:10PM #5
Freestyle

Neo-Pagan means "contemporary Pagan.". It means that you are a Pagan with contemporary flavor such as pop new age. Sometimes Belief net would play a joke on the online seekers by using the term "Neo-Pagan.". The Pagan faith was founded in 1923, hence the "neo" in "Neo-Pagan.  Since we Pagans have diverse beliefs regarding Gaia and Heaven, I will not persuade or force you to become a Pagan.  If Paganism was indeed unifided, then I would talk you into becoming one.  The choice is yours.  We are here for you if you need help.

Blessed be.

Mew Xacata

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 months ago  ::  Jan 09, 2014 - 9:56AM #6
Karma_yeshe_dorje

Dear Freestyle:

Do you have a local group to chat with?

At this evening's Pagan discussion, I learned about African spiritual healing tradition.

Also there was some mention of Tarot.

And some very knowledgable mention of Wiccan lore.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 months ago  ::  Jan 09, 2014 - 7:28PM #7
Freestyle

That is diversity. I am a Pagan, and my beliefs are diverse.

Moderated by rangerken on Jan 10, 2014 - 09:54AM
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook