Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View LDS Priesthood NOT a Hammer for Liberal Wedge Issue
2 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 9:50AM #11
MysticWanderer

Apr 22, 2012 -- 9:57PM, Aka_me wrote:

there won't be any hard evidence turn up to support Carter having any direct involvement because it was so long ago, they sent telegrams in those days for cryin out loud.

there is however hard evidence in the Bob Jones University case...

The IRS again notified the University on April 16, 1975 of the proposed revocation. Officially, the IRS revoked the University's tax exempt status on January 19, 1976.

what are the odd's that church leaders were following this case, then asked themselves whether IRS cross hairs could be put on BYU and/or the LDS church as a whole?

I'd say more likely than not.

I do not see any compelling evidence for the church to worry about an IRS action against them based on the action in the Bob Jones University case.  That case revolved around a public interest in stopping racial discrimination in education not in the practice of religion.  While Bob Jones University was a religiously affiliated educational institution its primary purpose was education not religion.  Now if BYU was not admitting Blacks or was not admitting them based on marital status, BYU might need to worry but not the LDS.  The courts have traditionally given the direct practices of churches much more leeway than educational instituions.

"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R.Tolkein
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. ~Anne Lamott
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."
Friedrich von Schiller
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 7:12PM #12
MMCSFOX

All in all what I see here is simply proof that one need to studiously and prayerfully get one’s own testimony. We can only rely on God for that sure knowledge of gospel points. Relying on someone else’s learning would be like having your spouse eat your breakfast for you while you go out into the world expecting to be strong and healthy.

Jesse F.

“Doing no harm is not the same as doing good.” 

--Willard Gaylin, President, The Hasting Group
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 10:26AM #13
MysticWanderer

Apr 25, 2012 -- 7:12PM, MMCSFOX wrote:

All in all what I see here is simply proof that one need to studiously and prayerfully get one’s own testimony. We can only rely on God for that sure knowledge of gospel points. Relying on someone else’s learning would be like having your spouse eat your breakfast for you while you go out into the world expecting to be strong and healthy.

Jesse F.

“Doing no harm is not the same as doing good.” 

--Willard Gaylin, President, The Hasting Group

Very true, Jesse.  Remember, though, that we are told to first puzzle it out in our own minds as Oliver Cowdery and then ask for confirmation, not to simply expect knowledge to be poured into empty heads.

"8 But, behold, I say unto you, that you must astudy it out in your bmind; then you must cask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your dbosom shall eburn within you; therefore, you shall ffeel that it is right." D&C 9

You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. ~Anne Lamott
Friedrich von Schiller
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 10:11PM #14
MMCSFOX

"Very true, Jesse.  Remember, though, that we are told to first puzzle it out in our own minds as Oliver Cowdery and then ask for confirmation, not to simply expect knowledge to be poured into empty heads."

OH DARN. But I’m retired now, so life should easier, shouldn’t it? Cool

Jesse

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 8:48AM #15
MysticWanderer

Apr 26, 2012 -- 10:11PM, MMCSFOX wrote:

"Very true, Jesse.  Remember, though, that we are told to first puzzle it out in our own minds as Oliver Cowdery and then ask for confirmation, not to simply expect knowledge to be poured into empty heads."

OH DARN. But I’m retired now, so life should easier, shouldn’t it? Cool

Jesse

What is retired?  I am sixty, and my retirement plan is to win the lottery or diu.

Friedrich von Schiller
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 1:49PM #16
Acts 28:22

Apr 27, 2012 -- 8:48AM, MysticWanderer wrote:

What is retired?  I am sixty, and my retirement plan is to win the lottery or diu.

Uh, I don't think you are allowed to tithe on lottery winngs, Mystic

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 2:17AM #17
moksha8088

Even if the LDS Church ceased this racist policy because of not wanting to lose the BYU tax exemption,  The 1978 change was the right thing to do.  I would prefer to assign a nobler motivation to the Brethren than simply wanting to save money.  The action seemed inspired, why not leave it at that?

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook